AVG

Question

AVG Outgoing Email scanner

by dawillie / February 9, 2013 1:27 PM PST

I am running AVG [free] 2013 and use Outlook Express with XP-SP3 as my o/s.
My email incoming is a POP3 and outgoing [SMTP] is an IMAP.

I have noticed on several occasions that when I reply or send an email that the email scanner [outgoing] activates and I get an error message telling me my server has been idle to long and unable to send.

Sometimes the email sits in my outbox for 2-3 days. I have contacted my service provider and they advise me that there may be some issues with the IMAP protocol and they are 'working on it'. This was 4 months ago.

However, the email gets sent most of the time and then gets blocked.

Tonight, I disabled AVG temporarily and the email got sent.

This tells me the problem is not with my ISP but rather with the outgoing email part of AVG.

Is there a workaround for this or can I just send my email out, unscanned which is not normal as ALL AV have email scanners that scan and certify both incoming and outgoing email.

Please advise.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Outgoing Email scanner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Outgoing Email scanner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: AVG Outgoing Email scanner
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / February 11, 2013 3:14 PM PST

Hi dawillie,

I recommend checking our FAQ's where you can find settings for most common providers and other suggestions. Let us know whether they were helpful.

Thanks.

Collapse -
by dawillie / February 11, 2013 10:24 PM PST

Hello Dusan,

I read the FAQ and note that the workaround is to disable the email scanner which I have already done.

I must have the settings correct because I am familiar with AVG having used it since 1999.

My question was how do I get the email to leave my outgoing without having to disable the outgoing email scanner.

Collapse -
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / February 11, 2013 11:55 PM PST

Do you see any pattern in blocked e-mails (e.g. specific attachment, destination, or are they just random e-mails)? I would like to ask you for the AVG Diagnostics output for closer analysis.
- Download and run the runner_en.exe.
- Follow displayed instructions.
- Fill in the dawillie@cnet.avg.com as your e-mail address, attach link to this conversation and your real e-mail address which can be used for further communication.
- Attach at least 2 samples of blocked e-mails (in EML or MSG format) also with time/date when they were blocked.
- Click the Diagnose and send results button to send the data.
- Let me know once the data are sent.

Thanks, Jan.

Collapse -
by dawillie / February 12, 2013 10:51 AM PST

Hello Jan,

Speaking generally ALL email messages were blocked and have sometimes stayed in the out box for as long as two days.

In the most recent instance I disabled 'outgoing messages' and as a result have had all email sent being cleared. In fact this message is also being sent with the outgoing messages disabled.

Therefore I have no examples to sent you, however I will 'enable' outgoing messages after I send this message and will watch for this.

As soon as my messages do not leave the outbox, I can provide you with samples.

Thank you and ask you keep this file open.

David Williams

Collapse -
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / February 12, 2013 10:38 PM PST

Hi David,

Thanks for clarification. It really seems that outgoing servers are wrongly configured to me. Could you please attach Outlook Express outgoing server configuration (screenshot is enough) and also details about SMTP connection from your provider to the description when sending AVG Diagnostics. Samples of e-mails are not required if none is sent when AVG E-mail scanner is active.

Thank you, Jan.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.