AVG forum

General discussion

AVG objects scanned has changed

by committhistomem14 / June 21, 2010 7:18 AM PDT

My AVG scans around 700,000 items on my computer, but when I ran it yesterday it only scanned around 600,000 items. I have not changed any of my settings on AVG. Any thoughts?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG objects scanned has changed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG objects scanned has changed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG objects scanned has changed
by Ondrej_AVG / June 21, 2010 3:33 PM PDT

Hi committhistomem14,

I would like to ask you if you have done some computer cleaning recently? (removing temporary files, temporary internet files, restore points, etc.)

Is the same AVG scan reporting less scanned objects? (there are differences in settings between manual whole computer scan and scheduled scan)

Thank you

Collapse -
Cleaning
by committhistomem14 / June 22, 2010 7:21 AM PDT

I haven't removed any files in the last couple days, when this has occurred. I am using the same scan, the scheduled scan when this occurred.

Collapse -
Re: cleaning
by Ondrej_AVG / June 22, 2010 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Cleaning

Hi committhistomem14,

how many scanned objects is showing latest scheduled scan (if new one was already launched)?

Else this situation is known only, when some cleaning was done:
- by third-party tool (CCleaner, etc.)
- cleaning cache of internet browsers
- Windows' Disc Cleanup

Are you using other protection applications (anti-spyware)?

Thank you

Collapse -
Scanned again
by committhistomem14 / June 23, 2010 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: cleaning

I just did the scheduled scan and it scanned around 700,000 objects again, which is weird because I've had this happen before and it just keeps scanning around 600,000 objects and I usually just do a system restore to a date where the scan is scanning the normal amount of objects again. I also have spybot and malwarebytes on my computer.

Collapse -
Re: Scanned again
by Ondrej_AVG / June 23, 2010 4:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Scanned again

Hi,

could you please confirm that until system restore point is done, AVG scheduled scan is still scanning around 600,000 objects only?

Is possible to upload to some online storage an archive (zip file) with AVG scan results with 600,000 and 700,000 scanned object? How to export scan results is described in this How-To at AVG Free Forum:

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=86493

Was any deeper scan by other protection applications run before this happen?

Have you noticed any changes in AVG Scheduled scan settings before/after described situation? (could be caused by corrupted configuration file, which is restored by system restore)

Thank you

Collapse -
More info
by committhistomem14 / June 24, 2010 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Scanned again

I can't upload the files showing that it wouldn't scan the normal amount of files until I did a system restore due to one time this happened I wondered if it was AVG, so I deleted AVG and reloaded in and it fixed it. However the scans have gone back to normal, it is scanning around 700,000 objects now (the last two days). I did do a scan with spybot and a quick scan with malwarebytes the day before it scanned only 600,000 items.

I uploaded two scan overviews with one scan showing 700,000 and one 600,000. http://rapidshare.com/files/402461784/AVG_scans.zip.html

Collapse -
Re: More info
by Ondrej_AVG / June 24, 2010 4:10 PM PDT
In reply to: More info

Hi committhistomem14,

thank you for provided information, which really showed rapid decrease of scanned objects (more than 140,000). I can imagine only 3 possible reasons:
- cleaning of so many files + registry keys (which were restored with System Restore)
- changed (corrupted) configuration of AVG scan
- crash of AVG scan process on some unique (corrupted) file structure, which will finish the scan before the completion

Have you checked hard disk consistency by "chkdsk" tool in last weeks? More information about this Windows tool at this website - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Thank you

Collapse -
Scanning
by committhistomem14 / June 25, 2010 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: More info

My scans have returned to normal without me having to do anything. I did not do a system restore it just went back to normal on it's own.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.