AVG

General discussion

AVG & high processor temps

by DerfX / December 15, 2009 8:48 AM PST

I have done what I thought I could to try and slim down the entire AVG application by not using the website filtering or phishing checking. I don't use the AVG toolbar because I don't like any toolbars. Explorer 7 has enough functionality in it Title-bar to do everything I want it to.

But I have noticed a new occurrence since the upgrade to 9.0 and bought a two year license, I have to turn my big fan on to avoid a "hot" processor situation shortly after first boot when I get home from work. I caught my processor running around 50% but I don't know for how long. But it was long enough for the sensor on my MB to trigger the alert I have set up for high processor temp. I have it set to 72 degrees Celsius. I've only had to turn that fan on for doing some video rendering or another processor intensive program. I don't think there is any real danger because it seems that shortly after the temp alarm sounds, the process get done and the processor usage drops back to near 1%.

I'm not sure if this is a common situation or if there is a possible adjustment I can make to change the amount of work the processor is trying to do.

Other than that, everything seems great and I haven't noticed any slow-downs or problems connecting to the Internet. I think my favorite part of AVG is the firewall. A bit of a challenge to understand and configure but once it's set up, it's great. I like the way it blocks all outgoing connections until you tell it otherwise.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG & high processor temps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG & high processor temps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG & high processor temps
by Ondrej_AVG / December 15, 2009 5:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Interesting Forum
by DerfX / December 15, 2009 7:40 PM PST

The best thing about the Internet is the nearly unlimited availability of information or at least you feel that way until you navigate to one of those very stubborn websites.

I haven't had to use any of the AVG Pro support yet. I don't like those pages that refuse to let you move on until you fill in every bit of data the previous page wants. Like entering your "Build Number (Full Version Information)" and the text box following it won't let you put in more than 3 digits. You would think maybe it wants the "9.0.716" because the "9.0" is listed a couple lines above. But that doesn't seem to make it happy. One of these days, I'll figure it out.

Collapse -
Problem Vanshed
by DerfX / January 15, 2010 11:32 PM PST

At first, I thought it was a real problem because its occurrence lasted nearly a month. But as quick as I defined all the symptoms, the problem has just ceased. Initially, I figured it was doing some heavy duty scanning, just like it does when it does it's weekly full scan. For that, I have always had to turn on my main fan because I have that set to s medium or high priority so it gets done quick. I usually just let that run by itself so it take less than 40 minutes. But this problem was occurring every other night or once every three nights and happened right after I logged on. About ten minutes into a session, I would get my over-heat warnings and I would have to flip on the main fan. But I haven't had to do this for over a month now.

So I guess it's time to close this problem and put it to bed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.