Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG free AV update hangs

by C Grover / March 20, 2008 3:53 AM PDT

For a little while now I've noticed that when AVG goes through it normal 9am-ish auto update (or manually also) it hangs, while waiting for an answer from grisoft. Saying "receive answer".

This is a 2.3ghz p4 1gb ram vista PC machine on a shared DSL line.

This computer ramps up the fan as needed and during this process the fan runs like it's in the middle of some operation.

I try to close out the update but sometimes it takes a while before the process window will close. And right now upon the second try with a manual trigger the fan is still running and the process window has not closed although I went through one or two command steps to tell it to stop.

Yeterday I uninstalled AVG free and reinstalled the latest from their website. It manually updated at that time just fine, but this morning the auto update is once again problamatic.

Has anyone seen this issue?

This machine went in once for a motherboard or something last month. Could this be a sign of a continued hardware issue?

I'll reboot now, and maybe try a manual update later. As I recal an afternoon manual update went through ok the other day.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG free AV update hangs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG free AV update hangs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe you try the following......
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 20, 2008 6:15 AM PDT
Disable the UAC once again and restart the system. Then delete the whole AVG7 folder from the virtual store folder ( s ) (C:\Users\user_account\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7) ... where user_account is each of the users of the computer... then restart the computer and re-enable the UAC... then check that the next few updates operate properly.

Collapse -
reply to: AVG free AV update hangs
by caktus / March 20, 2008 6:18 AM PDT

It is possible that both the new installation as well as the previous installtion were corrupt. Or the downloads have been corrupt. Sometimes things do go wrong one right after another.

Also the problem could be in the firewall settings. It's worth giving these settings a look-see.

Can you recall changing any system or Internet settings prior to the problem occuring? It's also possible that the update servers were experiencing heavy traffic at these particular times.

As for the application hanging for a moment after having attempted to close it, some programs (though I'm not sure about AVG) will continue to complete it's current mission before closing.

Collapse -
My Two Sense
by hogndog / March 24, 2008 8:25 AM PDT

Its my bet its in your spyware or your Firewall

Collapse -
Try changing your update time
by bob b / March 20, 2008 8:46 AM PDT

9am-ish may be when you and a gazillion other users are hitting the Grisoft servers looking for a update.

I've seen this "receive answer" thing.
I just assumed I was on some server queue.
If I don't get antsy....I trickle through the queue and then it's my turn.

Collapse -
(NT) How does one get when "antsy"? ;) Just kidding! lol
by glenn30 / March 20, 2008 9:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 10:10 AM PDT

I would suggest you ask that question at CNET's "Antsy Forum". You'll find the moderator's there extremely helpful.

Just kidding! Your humor never goes unappreciated.

Collapse -
aw crap
by C Grover / March 21, 2008 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: :D

I might as well close this thread.

I no sooner started to work on the suggested repairs when I noticed the folder I needed to access "apps data" had become missing in action, about the same time that my window acessories folder in the start menu, and my quick launch bar along with it's bookmark for win explorer had dissapeared.

So for the next few hours I re-installed windows as a repair with backup (that didn't work as it was still all jacked up and wouldn't even let me install avg), then went on to do a format/reinstall (as best I could with this Emachine and discs)

This is the second time this machine has taken the "big crap"

It's all good now (ha!)

The free ver of avg does not allow update time choice.

Thanks for the help, I must go and personalize now.

Sorry about spelling, I just remembered I need to install iespell now.

Collapse -
AVG Free does have update Scheduler...
by glenn30 / March 21, 2008 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: aw crap

look under the "Scheduler" section. Grin

Collapse -
by bob b / March 21, 2008 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: aw crap

The free ver of avg does not allow update time choice.
I don't use the auto update thing but under scheduler it sure looks like
I could adjust when I wanted a update to happen.

Collapse -
by C Grover / March 21, 2008 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Umm.

I do where I can "adjust" the scheduled task.

Perhaps I missed that, or the option had become "lost" during the episode.

Thanks all.

Collapse -
Scheduler editing
by LSvach / March 24, 2008 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Yes, AVG Free does allow adjusting the time for updating as well as when it runs it's daily scan of your hard drive.

Right click on the German flag in your System Tray (lower right corner). Then left click on 'Launch AVG Free Control Center'. Then, left click on 'Scheduler' to highlight and then left click on 'Scheduled Tasks' at the lower part of that window. You will see two scheduled times: one for the Test plan and one for the Update plan. Click one to highlight and then left click on Edit Schedule.

Good luck. It will work if you are patient.

Collapse -
RE: avg does not allow update time choice
by caktus / March 21, 2008 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Umm.

Open the Control center, click on the "Scheduled Tasks" button at the bottom of the Control center and double click on the "Name" of the feature you wish to change.

Collapse -
AVG Update problem
by willum08 / March 24, 2008 10:11 AM PDT

I had this problem and I traced it to a redirection of Grisoft's address in my Hosts folder. Their domain address was being re-directed to the 'localhost' which stops any download action from Grisoft.
I deleted the reference to gnu.grisoft.com and it cleared the problem.

As far as I can tell, this re-direction is the result of some kind of malware.

Collapse -
AVG Hang ups
by hank robinson / March 24, 2008 11:57 AM PDT

Same problem with my Vista Delux Home Edition.

I thought it was just Vista (the worst program in the world).

Who knows??

Next time I'm seitching to Avast.

Collapse -
no need
by fabianhow / March 24, 2008 5:38 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG Hang ups

if you just want to stop that auto updating(not recommended), go to scheduler and double click on the update plan and tick 'disable this task' and click ok. unless you want to trouble yourself to manually update everyday this is strongly NOT recommended(lowers your protection, you see)

Collapse -
I have the same problem.
by BurnJW / March 24, 2008 1:43 PM PDT

I have the same problem, but it is my belief AVG are atempting to get us all to buy there new AVG 8.

Collapse -
WHY Worry ???
by youdnever / March 24, 2008 8:44 PM PDT

Try the BEST option of them all ---- DELETE AVG and download the BEST antivirus catcher .. Avira ! . Poor old AVG misses more than it hits and Avira has it all over every AV program except for the pay version of Kaspersky. I don't know why so many people flock to just one thing ? , Maybe because they havent checked the options Happy

Collapse -
AVG free AV update hangs
by ladygarnet / March 25, 2008 12:44 AM PDT

I am experiencing the same thing. My update hangs the same way you
are describing.

Collapse -
See my post above (Number 14)
by willum08 / March 25, 2008 10:00 AM PDT

Check your HOSTS file................

In XP the path is C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc

I don't know the path in vista

Collapse -
My Vista Machine has been doing the same thing...
by dmjohnsonus / March 25, 2008 1:40 AM PDT

My Vista Machine has been doing the same thing for a few weeks now spuratically. Yesterday, however, AVG update hung indefinately, then I rebooted. It started again and was still unable to access the update site. I think it's AVG having a problem. My internet connection was fine.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.