AVG

General discussion

AVG Free 9.0: Worth It?

by MarcelG4mer / November 8, 2009 9:37 AM PST

Every time I clicked CNET's download button for AVG Free 9.0, after I'd saved the file and tried to open the installer (clicking Run), I'd get a message saying the file was too small for the operation to complete or something along those lines. Now, it's finally worked and taken me to the 9.0 download manager/setup program. However, I have not proceeded with the installation because...

I'm wondering, is it worth downloading at this point?

I've been reading all the horror stories here in the forum, and elsewhere on the Internet, about people experiencing problems with the program, downloads not working, even having their own Internet and other programs blocked/deleted, and having malicious viruses actually get through. Three examples from the review page:

"I loved the previous versisons of AVG as they were not only free but better than all of the other products I'd tried. Something happened with v. 9.0 as all of a sudden I'm having trouble with all of my other programs. I have programs I need (Internet Explorer and others) blocked then disappearing from my computer all together. I've also had more malicious viruses getting through. Now I don't trust anything that goes on on my computer. None of this happened until after I installed AVG 9.0. At least (I think) AVG 9.0 catches them eventually. My experience was so bad that I uninstalled 9.0 and went back to 8.5, which I would wholeheartedly endorse."

"Cons: I dont appreciate AVG disabling windows Defender behind my back and I dont appreciate some extensive CPU usage needed for my XP. I would expect a virus to act this way not AVG
Summary: I happen to right click the AVG icon in the tool bar to open up and show me the current version but too many times I instead get a 100% CPU usage that last more than 5 min without any control on my XP.
What good is that new version supposed to do ?"

"Cons: Blocks Outlook. Kills Windows Explorer. Does weird things to Microsoft Firewall. Locks up your log out.
Summary: In addition to the Pros (none) and Cons (probably more than I found), DO NOT allow the toolbar to load (there's NO way to get rid of it). Be very careful, it wants to hijack your browser. I wonder about this piece of junk being released just after PCWorld did a positive review on 8.5?"

I find this all very worrying, as I'm on a 6 year old Emachines running Windows XP, SP 3, with 1 GB of RAM... So back to my question, is it worth downloading at this point? Or should I be looking towards Avira/Avast to protect myself?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Free 9.0: Worth It?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Free 9.0: Worth It?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
use avast
by strangejulius / November 8, 2009 6:48 PM PST

I can recommend to you from my experience avast. is nothing against avg but my own tests showed the better protection of avast. (my own tests!!)

Collapse -
Use Avg
by sourblast52 / November 9, 2009 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: use avast

I think you should choose Avg Free. I had it for a while now and it has made my computer run twice as fast. Before I had avg I had norton and that did nothing, I also had Webbroot and that did nothing either.

Collapse -
Avira + Malwarebytes
by MarcelG4mer / November 9, 2009 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Use Avg

For the record, I already have AVG Free 8.5 running on my computer, but I also have Avira, which I might add GREATLY cleared my computer up more than AVG or ANY of my other programs ever did. I had AVG 8.5 first, but once I gave Avira a shot, it greatly cleaned/sped up my rig, along with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Once AVG 8.5 stops working in December, I'm thinking of leaning towards just letting Avira & Malwarebytes cover me... Cuz AVG Free 9.0 isn't looking so good around the net... Although I will miss the part of AVG that marks search results in Google as safe, suspicious, or bad...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.