AVG forum

AVG Free 2013 and Link Scanner 2013 mix up

by Peternosmas / November 3, 2012 9:55 AM PDT

Having used AVG free versions for many years, on 07/09/12 I downloaded and installed what I thought was AVG AntiVirus Free 2013 but then discovered I had installed a 30 day trial of the paid for version. The downloaded file was named avg_free_stb_all_2013_2667_cnet.exe

Following a spell in hospital the trial version licence had expired, so on my return home I downloaded avg_free_stb_all_2013_2742_cnet.exe
and installed it on 27/10/12. This was the previously hoped for AVG Free 2013, but I then found it was lacking the Link Scanner component that had been a feature of AVG Free 2012. On Google I found that Link Scanner is now a stand alone program, so tonight I downloaded the CNET link for AVG LinkScanner Free Edition 2013 (avg_free_smf_stb_all_2013_2742_cnet.exe)
However I have now lost the AVG antivirus program - all references to AVG now only display the Link Scanner ui. Can someone please explain exactly what is going on and how do I install BOTH the Antivirus AND Link Scanner programs on my system?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Free 2013 and Link Scanner 2013 mix up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Free 2013 and Link Scanner 2013 mix up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
RE: AVG Free 2013 and Link Scanner 2013 mix up
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / November 5, 2012 4:36 PM PST

Hi Peternosmas,

The LinkScanner as a component is not listed in the AVG user interface. You can find there the Web Browsing component which does the same job (if you click the component, you can configure the LinkScanner).

In order to remove to remove the currently installed AVG software and to install AVG 2013 Free Edition, please follow this AVG Forums article.

Please let us know, if you need more information.

Collapse -
RE: AVG Free 2013 and Link Scanner 2013 mix up
by Peternosmas / November 6, 2012 12:20 AM PST

Hi JirF_AVG Many thanks for your reply. Since my original post I have learned that LinkScanner is not a component of AVG Free 2013 and in fact it is NOT possible to run BOTH programs TOGETHER on a system. Strangely, although AVG Free 2013 no longer worked (i.e. could not be accessed) it still showed on the Control Panel > Programs and Features, but LinkScanner DID NOT show on that list. Consequently I could not remove LinkScanner from that list and had to resort to using AVG Remover which removed ALL TRACES of AVG. I then was able to re-install AVG Free 2013 which seems to be working well.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.