AVG

General discussion

AVG Firewall blocks multifunction printer

by perrydw / January 7, 2010 2:38 AM PST

AVG 9 blocks the scanner function on my multifunction printer. I have "safed" the file sharing and printer functions but that doesn't work. Turning off AVG firewall solves the problem. I'm now using the Windows firewall but would rather use the AVG one. How do I solve this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG Firewall blocks multifunction printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG Firewall blocks multifunction printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE-
by Dusan_AVG / January 7, 2010 7:14 AM PST

Hello,
AVG Firewall is part of paid AVG.
To solve firewall issues, most of the time diagnostic files are needed to analyze the situation.

Please proceed as follows:
1. Download this diagnosis tool:
http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/runner_en.exe

Induce the issue multiple times(attempt to scan)

Run the diagnostic tool downloaded in step 1. and continue as per displayed readme.

Note: This procedure of contacting our support is only valid for paid AVG users.

Collapse -
FIrewall blocks printer
by tjhny / June 13, 2010 3:31 AM PDT

It would appear I too have the same issue...and sadly i have tried multiple times to get HP or AVG to work together. Apparently this issue has gone on for a long time. I have done the diagnostic thing....i have paid for this AVG for another two years. If I had known that this would be an ignored issue I would have not bothered to renew. I cannot afford to waste the time needed to manually configure the firewall to connect to a $450 printer that works flawless with my firewall disabled. I do not understand how and why a rule cannot be created for HP products , such as printers, that allows traffic on a network IP i assigned as safe. Maybe AVG will lose another customer {approx 5 yrs x 5 licenses each yr} this will be the 2nd or 3rd year with no answer to this issue. And to think I actually got 20 some odd people to switch to them from Norton!

Collapse -
Advanced settings
by Dusan_AVG / June 13, 2010 4:32 AM PDT

Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately some scanners and printers are communicating over the network using special ports.
It is not possible to create general rule as IP adresses and ports used may wary from user to user and analysis of the communication is needed so we can provide with advice how to set up your firewall properly.

If you still experience the issues please contact our support as described above.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Understood
by tjhny / June 13, 2010 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Advanced settings

I understand what you are saying. Will I need to setup printer with the firewall off, and then enable firewall afterward to get the traffic logs necessary? The new setup utility i have from HP cannot find the printer on my network if the firewall is on. I can add the printer in windows and just print with it with the firewall on now. I would like to use all the functions of this printer as i bought it for these reasons. I have multiple versions of AVG w/firewall running on different machines. 1 has win 7...one with vista...and the others with XP home and pro. I guess I misunderstood why the utility designed to add the printer and establish the proper communications is not allowed to do so by a firewall that normally prompts the user on these actions and allows us to approve or deny these communications. I have added my home network IP range as "trusted" and tried to allow communications on ports 9220, 161, and 427....just to name a few ports that my printer needs.

Collapse -
Re: Understood
by Ondrej_AVG / June 13, 2010 4:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Understood

Hi,

it is needed to gather AVG logs after inducing the connection issue (HP printer cannot connect) so the information will be recorded in the AVG firewall log.

Else for HP printers is suggested (if they are using the same static IP address) to add the IP addresses to AVG Firewall Whitelist. Please note that this will allow all incoming and outgoing communication to the whitelisted IP address. Make sure that you only allow the address of the HP printer or that this address is not used by another device you do not want to allow in future (e.g. after moving the computer to another network).

1. Open the AVG Program.
2. On the Tools menu, click "Firewall settings."
3. In the left tree menu, expand the Profiles item, and then select your firewall profile (for example "Computer in domain" or "Small home or office network"), and then click "Defined networks."
4. Locate "IP addresses whitelist" in the list of networks and double-click it.
5. Click Add IP.
6. Type the necessary values defining your local network (the IP address of your HP printer).
7. Confirm all changes by clicking OK (in all open dialogs, including the "Firewall settings").
8. Test the connection between your computer and the printer.

Thank you

Collapse -
wireless printing w/AVG and HP
by dianinco / September 3, 2010 4:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Understood

OMG--pretty simple fix but took me forever to find this link. It was a bit confusing as the IP address was already allowed. However I followed your instructions and can now print wirelessly! Thanks!

Collapse -
Unable to print with HP7200 series through AVG firewall
by jovienrn / January 27, 2011 3:31 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Understood

Lifesaver. After all the trouble and hours of AVG firewall configuration, finally a very simple fix. Kudos...

Collapse -
AVG 9.0 BLOCKING HP MULTI FUNCTION
by janiceslaven / September 7, 2010 6:48 AM PDT

Finally got it to work!!!! My computer FINALLY will read my HP Officejet 8500:

Open AVG Interface
Click TOOLS
Click Firewall Settings
Under "PROFILES": CLICK "Defined Networks"
On the right panel: Click "ADD NETWORK"
Networks Property window will open
Network Name: HP Devices
Network Description: TYPE:The list of IP addresses that are always allowed for both incoming and outgoing traffic regardless any other rules.
Click: NETWORK IS SAFE
Click "ADD"
WINDOW WILL OPEN
ONE IP ADDRESS: Type in your printer's IP Address
Click: OK

As you close out your AVG window you should get a notice that AVG is reconfiguring to notice the printer.

I hope this works for you. It is hard to go back and retrace your steps. This was trial and error.

Good Luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.