AVG forum

by lennymac / February 5, 2013 3:40 PM PST

I have had AVG products on all of my computers for many years, however, the 2012 utility version is worse than the previous ones. Previously there was a REMOVE DUPLICATE selection and when I bought the newer AVG product the DUPLICATE capability is no longer available.

After sending e-mails to Customer Service, and making several phone calls to verify the lack of the capability, I was transferred to a "technician" who would help me with the problem. I was placed on hold for over an houe on 3 seperate calls that I made and never did talk to a Technician.

I am letting ALL OF MY AVG products just expire and had to pay for a seperate utility to be able to remove duplictes.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG CUSTOMER SERVICE IS USELESS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG CUSTOMER SERVICE IS USELESS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / February 5, 2013 5:05 PM PST

Hi lennymac,

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what "remove duplicate" functionality are you missing. Do you mean the remove duplicate files feature, formerly available in the AVG PC TuneUp product?
If so, I have bad news for you. The new PC TuneUp product is not able to find and remove duplicate files anymore. It has the Space explorer feature, which identifies large folders for you and you can do a manual cleanup, but the functionality is different. We received many complaints on the remove duplicate feature from customers who managed to delete not only the duplicate files but also the "originals". It is generally safer to not include this feature with AVG PC TuneUp.

If you need the "remove duplicate" functionality, you can search for third party tools. Searching for "duplicate file finder" should provide you with several results.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re: delete duplicates
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 5, 2013 5:31 PM PST

Just noting: AVG primarily is a product to PROTECT your PC. Deleting duplicates is a totally unrelated thing.

As already noted, there are many freeware or shareware 'delete duplicates' or 'manage duplicates' programs available for download on the usual download sites. That gives you much more control about what you choose (in terms of price, functionality, user interface).

It seems you selected a paid one. Others prefer a free one. Still others (including me) don't use any, because they have a good enough way (or anyway they think so!) to manage the contents of folders to limit the number of duplicates to a level they can manage using tools like Windows Explorer (comes with Windows) and Ultrasearch (a free utility to find files by name). Or they don't mind about a few GB of duplicate files on a 500 GB disk.
It's all up to you how to manage your system.
The more choice, the better. Using a subprogram of an antivirus suite isn't necessarily the best solution for you. And now you've selected the best. I'd say your situation has improved.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.