AVG

General discussion

AVG crash. I tried it all, am I screwed?

by vaindioux / December 4, 2010 6:34 AM PST

Hi

I am trying to remain calm but it's getting harder and harder. I have lost my main PC since Friday AM due to the bad AVG update like thousands of others.
I have been all day on the AVG forum and now they seem to be down, I don't know why, I tried to access them on 2 other non infected PC's to no avail.

Ok enough of the rant I was wondering if someone would have a final idea before I put my Windows 7 DVD in there and restore to factory new and lose my stuff (I back up but still stuff gets lost).

I have done the following:

-Create an AVG USB boot disk which failed (I went into my bios and boot order and I don't see a USB boot option only DVD and HD.My PC is 1 year old AMD Phenom II, I am surprised I don't have that option.

-So I tried to create an AVG bootable DVD with their .ISO file which I got done, I checked the file was burned on it and it is there.I made sure to change the boot order in my PC and put the DVD first. That failed, I tried 4 times.

-I have rebooted my infected PC probably 50 times in the last 2 days and have hit various F keys to no avail.F8, F3, F12,F11 and the ESC key to no avail.

-I can't enter safe mode, tried countless times, it brings me to the startup repair utility.

-Startup repair will not work, it fails to restore to an earlier date.

-The only 2 things that I know I haven't done yet are:

1)Use my windows 7 DVD to do a fresh install of windows (My last resort if this post fails to help me.)

2)Do anything from the command prompt which I can access. Guys is there anything I can type at the command prompt to help me?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Patrick ;-(
(Logging off now and going to try to relax in front of the TV with a scotch on ice.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG crash. I tried it all, am I screwed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG crash. I tried it all, am I screwed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Alternate Method
by Support_AVG AVG Staff / December 4, 2010 6:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Link
by vaindioux / December 4, 2010 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: Alternate Method

Hi

I appreciate the post but I get an error message telling me the forums can't be accessed. I have 2 other PC's they both get the error message.

What is up with that?

can you post the forum post you mention here so I can read it?

thanks

Pat

Collapse -
Alternate Method
by Support_AVG AVG Staff / December 4, 2010 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Link

Patrick,

Yes, I can post the steps here:

- In the command prompt navigate to the "c:\program files (x86)\AVG" folder
cd c:\program files (x86)\AVG

- Rename the AVG10 folder to something different
ren avg10 avg10fail

- Reboot

- Download the AVG installation file from http://www.avg.com/download and run repair installation

Thanks,

Jan

Collapse -
the fix
by vaindioux / December 4, 2010 8:59 AM PST

Hi

Ok thanks I will try the fix in the morning when I am rested, I am kind of wiped out tonight.
I will post tomorrow what happend.

Thanks again

patrick

Collapse -
Command line
by vaindioux / December 4, 2010 7:21 PM PST

Hi

I tried the first line at the prompt:
cd c:\program files (x86)\AVG

And I get:
The system cannot find the patch specified.I tried several times.

Thanks

Patrick

Collapse -
Re: cd
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 7:58 PM PST
In reply to: Command line

Since 1995 (that's when long file names were introduced in Windows 95) the command prompt needs quotes around path names containing a space. It now thinks you're looking for a folder namen c:\program. Which doesn't exist, resulting in this quite correct error message.

So Jan's instructions weren't correct on this point. The correct syntax is:
cd "c:\program files (x86)\AVG"

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Command line
by Support_AVG AVG Staff / December 4, 2010 7:59 PM PST

Hi Patrick,

In case you have another language mutation of you operating system, it is possilbe, that the folder "Program files (86)" is different.

Please try to use command dir and you will see list of folders and files in your C: driver root:
dir c:\

If you are not sure which folder choose, please paste the list.

thanks

David

Collapse -
Command line
by vaindioux / December 4, 2010 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Command line

Hi

I appreciate the help from everyone. I have reinstalled windows 7, I just had enough.
Most of my stuff is backed up off and online so I just lose some time after all.
I am not mad at AVG, **** happens but I usually learn from my mistakes and am currently installing Avira.

Thanks again

Patrick

Collapse -
Re: Command line
by Ondrej_AVG / December 6, 2010 5:00 PM PST

Hello vaindioux,

Please accept our sincere apologies for these inconveniences with AVG product.

Hopefully one day we will get your confidence again.

Thank you

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.