AVG

General discussion

AVG compatability with Ad-Aware 8.1.0.0

by NODSAILOR / November 25, 2009 9:42 AM PST

I have been running AVG for a couple years or more.I now have AVG 9.0 Is it compatable with Ad-Aware 8.1.0.0? I had a hard time downloading Ad-Aware I kept getting a large # of boxes asking me if I would allow or block a connection one after the other from my firewall--Sygate which I just installed last week. I had Windows firewall turned off. Once i turned off Sygate and turned on Windows Ad-Aware downloaded just fine. I,however did not opt for Ad-Watch.Should I?
PS; How good is Sygate. I am running windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG compatability with Ad-Aware 8.1.0.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG compatability with Ad-Aware 8.1.0.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG compatability with Ad-Aware 8.1.0.0
by Ondrej_AVG / November 25, 2009 5:05 PM PST

Hi,
it is not recommended to use more residential (still checking) protection applications in one time due possible conflicts and slowdown of the computer.
Better is to use one as main protection and the second only for manual checking.

Thanks

Collapse -
AV, AS, FW
by Jiri_AVG AVG Staff / November 25, 2009 11:34 PM PST

Personally, I haven't tried Sygate for a few years already, so not sure how it performs in its current shape.

As far as AV/AS solutions, Ondrej is right. Additional real-time applications will eat up on your computer's resources, so the PC might seem a bit more slower. If you don't install ad-watch part of Ad-aware though, it shouldn't be a problem to run it aside of AVG, but would require you to run on-demand scans of your computer from time to time.

AVG already contains an anti-spyware solution within. We also plan some improvements in the adware field, so the users can allow if they want adware (e.g. when using some application for free if adware is on the PC) or block it.

Hope this answered your question.

Jiri

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.