AVG forum

General discussion

AVG at times uses 100% of CPU even when not scanning

by Jrebuckjr / December 30, 2009 1:52 AM PST

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 with an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz, 1.25 GB of RAM with a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002 with Service Pack 3 operating system. I've been running AVG for about a year. A couple of weeks ago I thought the program become corrupt because of it using 100% of the CPU even when it was not scanning. I uninstalled the 9.0 Free Version and downloaded and installed the 9.0 Free Version again. It has been doing the same thing. When checking the Program Manager it shows avgcsrvx.exe, avgwdsvc.exe and avgchsvx.exe using up 100% of the CPU. I end the processes and the PC works fine until it starts using all of the CPU again.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG at times uses 100% of CPU even when not scanning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG at times uses 100% of CPU even when not scanning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG at times uses 100% of CPU even when not scanning
by Ondrej_AVG / December 30, 2009 5:10 PM PST

I have asked CNET for your contact details.

Else are you using other protection or real-time running application? As this looks like some possible multiple access conflict.

Thank you

Collapse -
by MrFiregem / January 19, 2013 4:32 AM PST

I have problems with AVG email scanner. It frequently uses 95% of my cpu usage even when I disable it. Is there anyway to resolve this?

Collapse -
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / January 30, 2013 6:45 PM PST
In reply to: AVG CPU Usage

Hi MrFiregem,

We are sorry for delayed reply.
The high CPU load could be caused by a software conflict. If you have additional security or spam filtering software installed, please uninstall it temporarily and restart the computer.
It that won't rectify the situation, please provide us with diagnostic information from your computer using this service utility. Make sure to mention exact process name which is taking too much of CPU time. Troubleshooting of the situation will continue over e-mails.

In future, we recommend creating a new thread rather than posting under an old one.

Thank you.

Collapse -
AVG uses 100% of CPU even when not scanning
by luckylil / January 17, 2010 11:44 AM PST

I too am having a probem with AVG using 100% of the CPU. Started having problems after upgrading to ver 9.0.725.

Everything takes a long time to do, as in minutes not seconds, webpages stall, or crash, script errors frequently. One script error message: chrome+avgp content avg abgbapt.js:125 This may not be exact, tried to catch it before it was gone.

Custom built Pen 4 2.60 GHz, 1 GB ram, Win XP Pro SP3, use Mozilla browser, updated to most recent version.

I'm ready to toss the computer thru the window! Any suggestions on how to resolve the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: AVG uses 100% of CPU even when not scanning
by Ondrej_AVG / January 17, 2010 6:56 PM PST

could you please provide us with names of AVG processes causing high CPU usage?

Are you using other protection applications or software which is using some real-time checking/indexing of files?

Collapse -
AVG at times uses 100% of CPU even when not scanning
by SMILYFACEvirus / October 27, 2010 8:10 AM PDT

I am to having this problem. the main problem is the AVG Watchdog service and the AVG resident Shield Service. they are using to much cpu at times and is really frustrating while playing games.

Collapse -
by Dusan_AVG / October 27, 2010 9:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
by Mark_Roberts / November 8, 2010 6:02 PM PST
In reply to: Autoruns

We have recently purchased the corporate version of AVG and have it running on over 50 PC's. Within the week I've have to go around the PC's and turn off Daily Scanning because the service is so CPU hungry it makes the PC's unusable while it is scanning. It takes all the processing power it can and max's out the CPU. Would be nice like the Symantec product I've just replaced where you could set the CPU usage limit.

I now have to rely solely on the background scanner for day-to-day protection to hopefully catch anything if we open a suspect file.

Then I'll have to periodically carry out full scans out of hours when the users aren?t using their PC's.

Surely this can't be right?

Collapse -
Re: AVG CPU Usage
by Ondrej_AVG / November 8, 2010 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: AVG CPU Usage

Hello Mark_Roberts,

could you please contact AVG technical support, which has more tools to help you with described situation?

Please go through this webform www.avg.com/ww-en/customer-support

Or use the option in AVG -> menu Help -> Get Help Online

Else the daily scan is possible to disable through AVG Admin (if you are using more stations) and then just synchronize the settings with stations. Has AVG scan used the user_sensitive priority?

Thank you

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.