Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

AVG anti virus FREE virsion

by imgrateful_1 / November 9, 2006 2:14 AM PST

This morning I got a pop up notice on the 7.1 version of the anti virus program will be discontinued in January, New version 7.5 was given for the new updated version. I installed it followed everything correctly (including reboot) then everything came back and I scanned I got a error state message. (ANIT-VIRUS INTERNAL VIRUS DATA BASE OUT - OF - DATE. I couldn't up date it ???? So should I uninstall the old version first, or when installing new one everything automatically installed ? Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG anti virus FREE virsion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG anti virus FREE virsion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How to fix Email or Updates not working after an AVG program
by Donna Buenaventura / November 9, 2006 2:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Firewall Problem
by pmchefalo / November 12, 2006 5:11 PM PST

I had this problem with one customer's PC; needed to adjust the firewall per the instructions in the link above.

Collapse -
AVG free
by Harold Stern / November 12, 2006 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: Firewall Problem

I have changed two PCs from V 7.1 to 7.5 without a hitch. It's perfectly routine with AVG to find that the definitions when you first download are out of date and clicking on the Update button cures that in minutes.

Collapse -
AVG free
by ghp / November 12, 2006 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: AVG free

I have had no problems with the update from 7.1 t0 7.5.

The program took accross all my settings and automatically updated database when required.

For many years I have found this to be an excellent program and would be loathe to do without it.

Perhaps you have just been unlucky however I would stay with it.

Collapse -
No problem with "clean install"
by clownlady / November 14, 2006 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: AVG free

I have been using AVG since I got my current computer, so four years now, and have never had a problem. With the first update I didn't use the "clean install" option, and ran into some difficulties. Since then I have always specified "clean install"and have not experienced any problems afterwards. I believe when the download is done the option is given as to whether the user wishes to do a clean install or use the other option which does not un-install/install new...and they recommend the clean install option.

Best of luck in the future,

Collapse -
No problem, error may need reboot to take effect
by jlawrence08648 / November 12, 2006 10:01 PM PST

AVG has changed one feature. You use to be able to update your virus definitions and continue on your way working. Now after your virus definitions are updated, you need to reboot your computer for them to take effect. If you don't, you will see the icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and also a popup appear saying there is an error, you need to reboot. I believe AVG is still scanning your incoming email. Unfortunately if AVG updates 5 tmes a day, you have to reboot 5 times. I have AVG set to update between 9pm-10pm just before I shut down the computer for the night. You can also manually set it to update, then before you turn it off, during the day or at night, you can update it and then turn it off.

Collapse -
by Maggie6243 / November 12, 2006 10:21 PM PST

I upgraded to AVG 7.5 and mine updates automatically. I don't have to reboot after updating....Maggie

Collapse -
Not true with me...
by glenn30 / November 12, 2006 10:45 PM PST

Mine auto updates and reboot is never needed... AVG has always performed updates this way. I find your comments puzzling.

Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / November 12, 2006 11:58 PM PST

I'm not sure why you have to reboot to make the new definitions load but you might want to check your settings:

Launch AVG control center > Update manager > Properties
Ensure that "Update immediately and require confirm from the user" are enabled. If not, please enable them and click apply to apply the new settings.

See on the next definitions update if you still have to reboot the computer before the new defs will take effect.

Collapse -
AVG 7.5 vs.
by jksr4 / November 12, 2006 11:04 PM PST

Not an answer but just a statement to say you are not alone. Have found the same error in 5 machines that I have updated to the new version. If error is not repaired will have to remove it and go to another product. Jim

Collapse -
AVG 7.5vs
by LouisRVazquez / November 13, 2006 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: AVG 7.5 vs.

I would suggest to Jim that he reads the other replies in this section. AVG is one of the few free AV programs left and also one of the most efficient.....Dave

Collapse -
AVG Free
by dalballew / November 12, 2006 11:49 PM PST

When I updated to the new 7.5 version, I did as instructed and selected the "Repair installation" on the "Select Setup Type" and then selected "Restart the computer now". I did get a few error messages, so I did a reinstall and selected "Repair installation" again as above. Since then I've had no problems. No need to restart with updates.

Collapse -
These sorts of problems with AVG
by Bbbjck / November 13, 2006 1:16 AM PST

is the reason why I switched to Avast! AV by Alwil. I like it a LOT more than what AVG became. It's a much more powerful progam that scans MANY MORE areas of the computer, updates every day...at least and is as easy to use...or easier than AVG. Avast's real time protection is so good I hardly ever have to do a "real" scan! I LOVE IT!!!!

So, that's something for ya'll to think about if you get tired of AVG's 'bugs', like I did.

Collapse -
AVG-Avast which is best
by shar1942 / November 13, 2006 4:37 AM PST

I also tried AVG and found too many errors for me to deal with. Changed to Avast and truly love the program. It is so easy and updates every day and you never have to reboot and takes care of everything.

Collapse -
The fix is easy after hitting your head a couple of times
by dcongrav / November 13, 2006 1:57 AM PST

I had the same problem with the exact same error message. I went to the forum and to AVG troubleshooting and I couldn't find an answer until...I fully read AVG's recommendations. The first is: "1. Please check the date/time settings of your computer..." I assumed that the date was fine but after hitting my head against a wall, I realized that the internal clock was off by one month and didn't realize it until someone told me that my mail message's date was wrong. After changing the date and re-downloading the updates, the error disappeared.

I've used AVG for years with never a problem and it's a great program, the fault was mine.

Collapse -
AVG antivirus FREE version
by n.lee / November 13, 2006 3:49 AM PST

Lots of luck uninstalling. I've been trying all morning and it refuses to uninstall !!! I just fired off an email to GriSoft, but I doubt they are interested in anything negative about their product. So, right now I'm operating without a working anti virus!

Collapse -
Give some details...
by glenn30 / November 13, 2006 4:11 AM PST

What version are you uninstalling? What did you do and what messages or actions occurred. Tell more... maybe someone here can be of help.

It is not advisable to operate without anti-virus installed.

Collapse -
Uninstalling AVG-Free
by n.lee / February 5, 2007 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: Give some details...

Sorry to be so long answering, glenn30. Initial problem was that I lost my password. Although I don't remember all the details anymore, I contacted GriSoft and got negative response. I fired off another email about their poor customer service, and the response was that since I was using 'Free AVG' they were not obligated to provide service! I finally formatted hard drive in order to install Pccillin. The next problem that I noticed was that the AVG has somehow
migrated to my second pc which I have set up on Wi-Fi (I have DSL). So, like a virus, AVG has now infected my second computer - which I now will have to format also !!! No - I don't have any kind words of any sort for GriSoft AVG antivirus!

Collapse -
AVG anti virus FREE virsion
by fuzzyCWD / November 13, 2006 6:29 AM PST

Not that i know what i am talking about, my advice to you would be to UNinstall ALL AVG you have and then reinstall the 7.5 but do this while OFFline. Doing this will clear the board and allow you to start fresh.

Collapse -
Have 2 Machines:XPHome SP2 & XPPro SP1+++. With Home one....
by tobeach / November 13, 2006 3:01 PM PST

defs are immediately absorbed requiring no action on my part.
XPPro does not absorb until I reboot THE PROGRAM, NOT the machine.
I just close AVG & re-open it and new def version is shown.
Hope this helps. Happy

Collapse -
AVG anti-virue FREE version
by rhkern / November 14, 2006 8:06 PM PST

I have been using and recommending AVG FREE for around four years and have recently upgraded 4 systems to V7.5 without a problem. As has been pointed out, it is normal for the newly installed application to note that the Virus definition files are out of date, just cick on update now and AVG takes care of the rest. I might note thatwhen conducting the upgrade:
1. the previous version of AVG is running - all other applications except IE are terminated via (ctrl,alt,del)
2. I download into a separate directory on my HD (the desktop will do also)
4. After the download is complete, I run the application
5. I select the update option (or however it is termed) - the first option.

The resst takes care of itself as the options you have selected in the previoius version are replicated in V7.5

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
by gysgtusmc74 / November 16, 2006 10:25 AM PST

I installed 7.5 when it was in beta and now that it is in full release and have had no problems. Been using AVG for 3 years now and have had zero(really) glitches. I personally have installed AVG on 6 machines and no problems have cropped up. Cant say enough about how much I like this software. Most trouble free software I have ever used. Sorry to hear others arent as fortunate.

Collapse -
AVG 7.5
by LAG / November 19, 2006 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: AVG7.5

I've been reading the posts about the new version of AVG, from what I've understood, this new version is NOT free so I haven't even tried updating from the old version. Comments? Thanks.

Collapse -
Believe you are misinformed...
by glenn30 / November 19, 2006 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: AVG 7.5
Collapse -
New version free AVG
by LAG / December 2, 2006 10:58 AM PST

I've been reading and reading, do I uninstall the old version first, then download the new AVG? Thanks, don't want to mess things up here on the weekend!!!

Collapse -
My memory is you download...
by glenn30 / December 2, 2006 10:56 PM PST
In reply to: New version free AVG
Collapse -
AVG - new version
by Lucian.A / November 16, 2006 3:40 PM PST

I have used AVG for over 6 years, ty Grisoft !
1. Go to their site and download the manual.
2. Check the settings of your firewall with the documentation and ajust them accordingly, if this is the case, if not...maybe you're behind a proxy, you will need, then, to specify the proxy's IP and port. This was my case, AVG did not - unfortunately - "see" that I was using a proxy server.
Good luck !

Collapse -
AVG Free version - Problem with Virus database.
by g_harikrishnan / March 18, 2007 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG - new version

Hello everybody,

I have this problem since the day i installed it in my PC, running on Win XP home edition SP2. When i installed the free edition of their antivirus, it said the virus database was out of date. It said the version was 7.5 and the updated version was 9.5 or something (not sure). Then i updated everything done. it got updated and installed but then againg the error showed up and would never go. It always said Virus Database out of date. How do i take care of this?? How in the world do i update my virus database?? When i try againg to update it says no updates available. Then the next day everything is back to square one again.. The alert message (error msg with a red exclamation mark) on the virus database would simply never go..

Please advise me on what should i do...

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Try to manually update
by Donna Buenaventura / March 18, 2007 2:05 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.