Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

AVG anti-virus and anti-spyware outdated; error?

by eelnavi / July 21, 2008 2:16 AM PDT

Windows XP version 2002 SP2 home edition
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.53Ghz, 512 mb of RAM

AVG 8.0.138 shows that the database for anti-virus and anti-spyware component are outdated (and not active). It says: "You may not be protected! Some components report an error."

I click on Update Now but there are no new updates.

-----------------------------------------------------

Ever since I installed the new Spybot, the whole registry change permission is confusing me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG anti-virus and anti-spyware outdated; error?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG anti-virus and anti-spyware outdated; error?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try an uninstall........ cleaning up remnants.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 21, 2008 4:01 AM PDT

and a fresh install??

Collapse -
Oh!
by eelnavi / July 21, 2008 4:32 AM PDT

That never occurred to me. Happy I'll try that.

I liked the previous one (AVG 7) better. It probably depends on personal preference but is AVG 8 the best free anti virus?

Thanks again Marianna!

Collapse -
trouble with installation
by eelnavi / July 21, 2008 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh!

After I downloaded the AVG files (saved to desktop), there are 2 files on the desktop:

1) avg_free_stf_en_8_138a1332 (application file)
2) avg_free_stf_en_8_138a1332.exe (PART File)

Normally the installation launches when I double click it. I couldn't open file #1. What program do I use to open file #2 with?

-------------------------------------------------------

*when I uninstalled AVG, I deleted the files in the virus vault. According to below, I should have been more cautious.

http://computersavvy.wordpress.com/2008/06/13/should-i-delte-that-file-from-my-virus-valut-faq-avg-80/

Collapse -
Did you try......
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 21, 2008 6:08 AM PDT

to restore your computer to BEFORE you uninstalled AVG?

Collapse -
Wow
by eelnavi / July 21, 2008 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you try......

Thank you for everyone's advice.

Yes, I am using Mozilla version. I still get 2 files when I download from the AVG website (via CNET's). Even when I tried to download AVAST, I still got 2 files.

I'll try to restore b4 I can the problem. I don't think I can restore AVG back to when I had version 7.5 though.

Collapse -
Re:wow
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 21, 2008 8:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow

Try to restore BEFORE you uninstalled AVG 8.

You would have to go FAR back to get to your "old" AVG 7.5 .......

IF the restore points works - have a look WHAT you have in your "quarantined" folder and IF you can delete what you have in there. You have to deal with the entries in that folder.

Collapse -
Won't work
by eelnavi / July 21, 2008 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:wow

I tried to restore to when I uninstalled AVG 7.5 (~May23, 2008) but I received a message that says that the restoration was not possible. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a "restore" if they won't let me go back to when I uninstalled 7.5? Silly

Soooooooooo, I guess I should try to restore to a more recent checkpoint.

Collapse -
Shooooot....... fingers crossed.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 21, 2008 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Won't work

you can restore to a more recent checkpoint Happy

Collapse -
Same problem
by eelnavi / July 21, 2008 9:26 AM PDT

I restored to a more recent point (july 3rd). Windows Security Center says my virus protection is off. There is an AVG 8 icon on my desktop. Double clicked and try to open AVG but nothing happens. I downloaded AVG again and still get 2 files.

I'll check the Mozilla version 3 issue but I'm getting worried.

Collapse -
Did you have a look in Program Files\ Grisoft.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 21, 2008 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

Is the AVG 8 program still in there?

How about add\remove - can you still see AVG 8 still in there?

Collapse -
yes
by eelnavi / July 21, 2008 9:50 AM PDT

AVG 8 is in the "add/remove program". Tried to remove him but got following:

---------------------------------------
Installation failed!

(the following was found in "Details"

Installer initialization failed due to following error:
Error: @AvgErrorCode_0x0253 %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8"
@AvgErrorCode_0x0020

----------------------------------------------

I was able to download AVG** (which prompts me to setup AVG). However, what should I do with the AVG (above error) in the Add/Program section. Can I just setup AVG even though the AVG 8 is in Add/Program section?

**I had to select "DownThemAll!" instead of "Save File", I was able to download AVG. I had no idea bc I never had any problems before when I only clicked "Save File").

Collapse -
Will the following work?
by eelnavi / July 21, 2008 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: yes
Collapse -
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0.138
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 21, 2008 6:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
trouble with installation
by azBob111 / July 21, 2008 6:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
I Think I have it
by jazzmanofjax / July 21, 2008 7:17 AM PDT

I believe you need to re-download AVG. When you have a good download you should have only 1 file, not any PART Files.

Robert

Collapse -
avg is good but...
by BobNZ / July 21, 2008 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh!

avg is good i used it for years but now i use avast home edition as its also free and i havnt looked back once i installed avast it found 18 viruses that avg hadnt picked up and im able to use my pc pretty much straight away once its booted whereas with avg i had to wait for the update to be done avast updates nicely in the background gave me a fright when it first updated and it informed me it had completed (had speakers turned up)
in my personal opinion avg is good but i prefer avast as my antivirus

Collapse -
Re: Will the following work?

First, try to remove AVG in SAFEMODE

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Restart the computer, pressing the F8 key once per second, till it loads a selection screen. Use the up and down arrows to select "Safe Mode", press enter, and the computer will load into a safe mode. It looks like a normal screen but with Safe Mode in each of the four corners.

When you?re done, restart the machine and it will boot normally.

The link you posted was to remove the entry in the registry. Before you do anything in the registry ..... BACK UP!!!

Backing up the XP Registry -

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/registry.htm

You have FIRST to REMOVE AVG 8 and clean up everything before you can install it again !

Do you have CCleaner? What you also could try is.......

Open CCleaner > go to: Tools > look for AVG8 - highlight it and click on run uninstaller

Does it work?

Collapse -
Here's what I was told to do for this problem..
by grannyQ / July 21, 2008 6:51 AM PDT

I had the same problem, too. I called Walling Data Systems, where I purchased my AVG 8, and was told 1)to check to make sure my computer clock was set correctly, and if so 2)to download a more recent build as they had some hangups with some of the earlier versions for some reason. Ever since I did that, all is well. Good luck to you.

Collapse -
I think you're OK
by michelcharlebois / July 21, 2008 6:59 AM PDT

I installed the new version without any problems whatsoever & it works great. But one of your comments indicates that you are probably OK too, except that something happened during the update download. While you are downloading a file, there are always two files created: one says "part" and the other is the file itself. When the download completes, the one that says "part" disappears and the file is now completely downloaded. If you still saw both files after the download, then the download did not complete successfully - when you click on the file, it doesn't work because it isn't fully downloaded, but further update attempts will fail because AVG thinks you have already done. I think all you have to do is to, instead of using the "update" feature, simply go to the AVG website and manually download the file - do NOT use the update feature. Almost sure that will work

Collapse -
AVG
by stonehkm / July 21, 2008 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: I think you're OK

It's good, but not perfect. I moved to McAfee which is provided free by my ISP. AVG did let though some garbage, but now, no problems. A free application as important as antivirus is, gives you "free" problems. Quit the free ride and get a decent AV or better still, the McAfee security suite!
Unlike Norton, it does not drain my resources.

Collapse -
Found a conflict
by tanker12uk / July 21, 2008 7:05 AM PDT

Hi I had some similar problems with AVG 8 but I have battled past them and I now swear by it I have dumped all my other spyware as with its dual roll AV and AS I find im covered I did have the latest spybot but they kept clashing so spybot went as AVG 8 was finding stuff that spybot was missing and avg 8 does it every day on auto so senior moments are no longer a worry
I have found that the only safe place to get AVG 8 is from Grisoft under the partners download link there is a small line of text that allows you to download direct from AVG that gives you the most up to date version and I find it only takes one update on install I did find that on other sites there was an error in the file as to the failure to update I agree a clean install will help

Collapse -
updates
by filbertrocko / July 21, 2008 7:29 AM PDT

uninstall and reinstall that should solve your problem

Collapse -
AVG 8
by cjswan / July 21, 2008 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: updates

On two occasions I've had Resident Shield go inactive. It came up as a warning. In both cases I rebooted my system and that cured the problem.

AVG runs automatically during the night at the time I set for this, and it automatically updates. No requirement from me at all to do any of this manually.

I dumped Spybot some time back due to the problems it created were worse than what it caught. Ditto for Glary Utilities.

Collapse -
Uninstall and reinstall
by Lancashire / July 21, 2008 10:05 AM PDT

I would agree with the other posts. Completely uninstall AVG and try to remove any folders and files remaining. Then do a fresh install and there should be no problem. I have installed AVG on many computers in our community and all are well.

Collapse -
Everything is fine now
by eelnavi / July 21, 2008 10:44 AM PDT

Thank you for everyone's time and advice.

I didn't have to restore (even though I tried it 3 or 4 times) my computer. AVG is working fine. I have to make sure I click DownThemAll instead of "Save File"

Collapse -
AVG

Just reinstall the new AVG 8
It has AntiSpyware and AntiVirus all for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can get it at download.com Wink
Its in the most popular software list and at no1 Happy

Collapse -
AVG
by patkat40 / July 23, 2008 1:13 AM PDT

Every day AVG says update needs restart. I restart the computer and it still says the same thing and that you may not be protected. I don't know what to do. I have restarted several times and it still won't update.

Collapse -
Help with Virus in Computer Protected by AVG
by GVGiant / July 23, 2008 1:17 PM PDT

I am operating a Dell Dimension 3100 computer with Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, running at 1 GB internal memory.

Has AVG Home Edition, version 7.5 (.523), with virus database 270.5.4/542, and anti-spyware database 3030. It is NOT the free version. We got a new (two-year) license back on January 29th.

Virus came into the computer 15 days ago. Have tried to contact AVG regarding this problem ever since. Have gotten nothing except automatically generated responses saying that, "For operational reasons, e-mail responses may be delayed." But delays for a technical support department that claims to be 24/7/365 should be hours, not days, and certainly not weeks..

After finally getting frustrated enough, I contacted what I thought was their customer service deparment. It turned out to be just their sales department. But at least, after quibbling about my license, they did contact technical support, which then got me a different automated e-mail. But at least this was one that asked for information on my virus, and gave me downloads to provide AVG with the information they need. That was now over one week ago. I had the information they wanted gathered in a few hours, and sent it to them. Then sent it to them again a few days later, and then again a couple of days ago - and then again today. NOTHING.

When this first happened, I disconnected my computer from both the internet and the network (thankfully nothing else was on at that time). The only time I have had my computer back on is to manually load AVG updates I am acquiring from a remote computer, and then running another full scan.

I have a series of files generated from the full AVG scans which seem to be basically Excel files, with one file that is basically a notebook file that I believe is supposed to tell them what is running in the background. These files should give you the virus results that you need. I would be glad to forward these files on to anyone who can tell me what I am REALLY dealing with here.

What I am reading on the files that were placed into the virus vault is about three different viruses, and I am not sure whether any of them are really the root cause or not. But the ones I noticed most quickly were I-worm/nuwar.S (initially), and Vundo (after a few days of updates).

I can tell you that it has disabled access to Safe Mode, my Control Panel, and Mozilla Firefox. Even in Internet Explorer, there are sites it will let you go to, and sites it won't (and AVG is one that it won't). Whatever it is, it is pernicious.

I have lost patience with AVG. I wish not to hear how great an anti-virus program is, no matter how many awards they have received, if their technical teams take weeks to respond to trouble. It is in areas like tech support where you REALLY find out how good a particular company is. At this point, 'F' is way too high of a grade for the Grisoft people.

Folks, can anybody help me? Again, I will gladly forward whatever files for you if you believe it will help. Thanx in advance.

Collapse -
That sounds a lot like malware.........
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 23, 2008 3:10 PM PDT

why don't you:

Support for Windows 2000, XP, and Vista

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware or alternate download link

* Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
* Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
* When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
* - Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* - Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
* Then click Finish.
* MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
* If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.

* On the Scanner tab:
* - Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
* - Then click on the Scan button.
* The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
* The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
* When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
* Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
* Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
* The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

* -- Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

**If you encounter this message:"c:\program files\malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll Unable to register the dll/ocx: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5" Click on ignore mbamext.dll

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):

Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

* Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".

What did they find?

Collapse -
Suggestions?
by GVGiant / July 23, 2008 6:40 PM PDT

Okay, tried both a direct download and download to a jumpdrive, and then trying to execute it off the jumpdrive.

On the direct downloads, in both links, it either set up a block or it re-directed me to its own alleged "Virus Cleaner" site. And while other files on the jumpdrive worked just fine, it would not allow an execution of the mal-ware file through it.

Could the file still work if it were re-named? There seems to be something in this malware that tips off these blocks, including words like virus and malware. I warned you this program was pernicious.

I'm afraid I either get this out soon or my whole computer will be fried. But I do feel like we are on the right track (and the malware knows it).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.