AVG forum

General discussion

AVG 9.0 Completely Fried My Computer :>(

by awsomeblueyes4u48 / July 16, 2010 4:26 AM PDT

I downloaded AVG 9.0 and it completely fried my computer.Went to AVG web site for download and later found out about all the warnings about this software. The next morning the AVG 9.0 had hidden it's files deep into my computer. The removel tool that they said will remove it, Doesn't work if anything the download had more infections that were added to the ones that AVG 9.0 put on my computer from the beginning . 25+ Viruses: Trojan.Antivirus.avg, Virus.Win32.Faker.antivirus.avg, and more that had the name AVG Antivirus listed in the name of the virus and that were listed in the warning that was sent out week ago warning people.. AVG should be replacing my computer. I wont be expecting that in a million years...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG 9.0 Completely Fried My Computer :>(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG 9.0 Completely Fried My Computer :>(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Dusan_AVG / July 18, 2010 3:34 AM PDT

Behavior you are descripting was certainly not caused by AVG.
Most likely you have downloaded fake security suite.

Please only download AVG from Cnet(cnet.com) or AVG main site(avg.com).

If your computer is still infected I would recommend trying to scan it with AVG Rescue CD:

If the issue persists and you would like us to help you remove the infection, please provide us with both GMER results:
Since it is not possible to attach any files here on CNET please upload the files to some online storage service.

Collapse -
AVG update gave me the Blue Screen Of Death
by TomLakeJames / July 21, 2010 6:46 AM PDT

Yep it happened to me, after being an AVG fan for years. The pay for version gave me the blue screen during an update!!! Then AVG said it could not happen but offered to fix it for $50.00 Just google for AVG caused problems. You will NEVER use it again..PS I lost ALL my data. I was running Win 2000 Yes I am angry

Collapse -
Re: AVG update gave me the Blue Screen Of Death
by Ondrej_AVG / July 21, 2010 4:06 PM PDT

Hello TomLakeJames,

we have not similar reports about Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) during AVG update.

Could you please check this thread at AVG Free Forum with common reasons of BSOD?

In case none situation applies to your situation, could you please look up the mentioned minidump file and provide us with it for closer analysis? (mentioned in pointed thread; upload the file to some online storage)

Could you please describe in more details the situation of losing all data? (broken harddisk, corrupted operating system or the unsaved data from the time BSOD happened)

AVG Technical support is for paid AVG customers for free, only premium services from our partners are paid ( http://www.avg.com/ww-en/customer-support )

Thank you

P.S.-As you are using Win2000, the folder with minidumps will be C:\WINNT\Minidump

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.