Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Avg 8.0

by Fish / May 15, 2008 11:41 PM PDT

With only two weeks left before AVg stops support and updates for ver.7.5 are there any new opinions of Avg 8.0 from any early users?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avg 8.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avg 8.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fish...
by glenn30 / May 15, 2008 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Avg 8.0

AVG Antivirus 7.5 is supported until the end of 2008... that early ending is a misconception by some.

No hurry... so take your time. Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Glen
by Fish / May 16, 2008 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Fish...

Thank's for the reply but I sure thought I saw somewhere that may 31st was the end of 7.5. If I see that again I will print it.Thank's again.

Collapse -
Thanks Fish...
by glenn30 / May 16, 2008 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Glen

No doubt you did see it as it was erroneously reported by some but was clarified by a Grisoft employee. I also think it was corrected in these forums but right off am no sure where. Most likely it will be found somewhere in the Grisoft site or their AVG forums.

If I see it again, will post it for you.

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn, I found this posted by...
by Larry38 / May 16, 2008 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Fish...
Collapse -
Thanks Larry...
by glenn30 / May 16, 2008 1:40 AM PDT

That was one that I saw... there is more on the AVG forums. Link below... Roddy is always on top of this stuff. Wink

Glenn

Collapse -
Addendum...
by glenn30 / May 16, 2008 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Glen
Collapse -
More clarity here...
by glenn30 / May 16, 2008 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Addendum...
Collapse -
Avg
by Fish / May 16, 2008 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: More clarity here...

Ok,dec.31 is good for me.I'll keep an eye out for the next"rumor".lol
Thank's Glen & Larry.

Collapse -
Hang around... shortly there will be another :) :)
by glenn30 / May 16, 2008 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Avg

Just read your bio... we have a lot in common. Nuff said? Grin

Glenn

Collapse -
Watch out for AVG 8.0 and element 5 (AVG's transaction comp.
by taylor1277 / May 16, 2008 4:27 AM PDT

you may want to watch out for AVG 8.0,i have been having nothing but problems and a nightmare with it,i bought the subscription this time for the added extras that they dont give you with the AVG free.well i got the download from the company that does AVG's online transactions element5,they sent a download that was so corrupt that i had to factory reinstall my computer and do all the things with a new computer that you have too.I couldnt contact AVG about it,element5 was supposed to send a license number,which i also didnt get,which you need to contact AVG with,ive always used AVG,but companies go sour and i see that for this company.maybe if you have a license number you can tell them to read this.i had to go with AVAST which is better than AVG as i speak for now.Oh well maybe they are headed the same way Norton is downward spiral.i bought into the program on 5-10-08 and have been contacting both everyday to no avail.AVG customer service rating out of 100 a 2.

Collapse -
I have used the AVG Pro for years.....
by Larry38 / May 16, 2008 4:51 AM PDT

but I am staying with the 7.5 version as long as it will update. My subscription does not expire till March of 09 so if AVG is not ready for prime time, I will go back to Avast Free which I have used in the past, or look for a better A/V even if it is a paid version.

Larry

Collapse -
So far, so good
by MeanDonnaJean / May 16, 2008 10:46 AM PDT

I updated my AVG Free to the newest version last week, and, so far so good. I've got no problems, no complaints. I've used AVG Free exclusively for the past 8-9 years now. Its never let me down so I figure, why mess with a good thing? Right?

Collapse -
(NT) MeanDonnaJean, thank's for your input. >))))*>
by Fish / May 16, 2008 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: So far, so good
Collapse -
AVG 8.0
by DianeL59 / May 19, 2008 9:07 AM PDT

I pay for AVG and upgraded to the 8.0 and I have no problem with it what so ever... everything runs and updates smoothly.

Collapse -
AVG 8.0
by jpmull / May 19, 2008 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG 8.0

Glad to here all is working well with AVG 8.0 but doesn't the email protection end after 30 days? I love AVG 7.5 but what good does it do to upgrade to 8.0 if it doesn't protect my email? Have I heard incorrectly or is the email protection only good for 30 days?

Any clarification will help. thanks
JP III

Collapse -
AVG - if its free its for me!
by Surprisechupka / May 19, 2008 10:19 AM PDT

I have had AVG running on my machines for years - and recently installed 8.0. LOVE IT. Good stuff. Runs quietly in the background and does not irritate the heck outta me! My business runs the paid versions - same good stuff. Oh and tweaking --- everyone should do it or we turn into a bunch of automatronics ... what? You want the machine to feed you too? That's coming next buddy --- Don't get lazy -- there is no such thing as one size fits all...not in jeans and not in Apps. Props to all the good people sharing their tweaks and twitches... We shall overcome the Robotic Nation. I,(not)Robot.
<grin>

Collapse -
RUE THE RUMOR
by Surprisechupka / May 19, 2008 11:18 AM PDT

This is right from Grisoft website:

"Contrary to rumors circulating on the Internet, AVG Free 8.0 does not include any "trial" or "time-out" functionality. Every option provided in the program is fully functional for the life of the product."

You can read it for yourself at: http://free1.grisoft.com/ww.news.ndi-93837

Howz that for service with a smile? : D

Collapse -
30 day 'time limit' re: the Email Scanner is incorrect...
by Marianna Schmudlach / May 19, 2008 12:38 PM PDT

as per the following AVG official website. The Email Scanner is for the life of the product

Click on the link 'Important information about e-mail scanning' located under News, just over half way down the page: -

http://free.grisoft.com/

Collapse -
AVG 8.0
by jpmull / May 20, 2008 11:07 AM PDT

Thank you all for the links and help in understand the "Email Scanner" misinformation I had. Thanks again for the clarification

JP III

Collapse -
E-mail scanner runs out in Anti-Spyware version
by ChewyNet1 / May 28, 2008 2:32 PM PDT

The topic says it all

Collapse -
Not sure where you are coming from...
by glenn30 / May 28, 2008 10:50 PM PDT

My AVG AntiSpyware 7.5.1.43 is my on demand anti-spyware tool and has no e-mail scanner. As far as I know this is the one that runs out soon.

AVG AntiVirus 7.5.534 does the e-mail scan and and is continued with definition updates through Dec 31, 2008.

This is the way I understand it.

Glenn

Collapse -
AVG 8
by tompro97 / May 19, 2008 1:39 PM PDT

I have been using AVG Free since it first came out and was pleased with its performance. However, AVG 8 is a memory and resource hog big-time. My free memory has dropped 50-100 Megs since I installed it. It's still a good program but I am looking for some other free anti-virus program that doesn't use such much memory.

Does any one have any recommendations??

Tom

Collapse -
AVG 8
by ranman54 / May 20, 2008 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG 8

Sure Tom: AVG 8 You really won't find a better "free" security package with such a small footprint (75MB). I'v had great luck with it for a few years now and recommend it to my following. Happy hunting Tom, and the best to the rest of you fine folks.

Collapse -
AVG8.0
by balisue / May 19, 2008 9:10 AM PDT

I downloaded AVG8.0 last week and so far, no problems. The one thing I don't like is the popup on the bottom right of the screen when downloading email cannot be moved around. Sometimes I need to see that area of the screen, and I used to be able to move it around in AVG7.5.

Collapse -
AVG 8 Free
by Tallstack / May 19, 2008 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG8.0

I at first did not like the way it ran and even went so far to uninstall after 10 years of using AVG products. I tried out both Avast and Avira and was not happy with either one (something about old dogs and new tricks :)me being the dog). I went back to avg 8 but did some changing (see this link http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20471075-AVG-8-Free-Better-Than-75-After-Tweaking). After I did these I am very happy with the program. You have to remember that it is doing a whole lot more than 7.5 did. One more thing my 8 year old computer 900 Thunderbird with 512 megs of pc133 xp pro sp3 had no trouble and neither did the wifes, a Gateway that is only a year old with a intel processor and 1g ram. Again overall very pleased.

Collapse -
Disable Email Scan Notification pop-up
by Surprisechupka / May 19, 2008 9:18 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG8.0

If you don't like the email scanning pop-up -- disable it!

1. Open AVG8 to the User Interface --
2. Select Email Scanner.
3. When that window opens, go to the bottom where it is labeled
"Email Scanner Settings"
4. Uncheck the box "Display notification icon while email is being
scanned"
5. Click "Save Changes".

<cheering>

Collapse -
No problems
by Bob Richmond / May 19, 2008 9:44 AM PDT

I have had 8.0 for a few weeks now and have had no problems with it at all. Real nice to have the anti-spyware bundled in.

Collapse -
You may want to check out this discussion
by Doctor Entropy / May 19, 2008 9:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
AVG for 8+ years & still goiing strong
by JiMiZnHB / May 19, 2008 10:05 AM PDT

I have been using AVG free for over 8 years, I have had some issues but never as bad as trying to switch to another Anti-Virus.
When I first tried to upgrade from 7.5 to 8.0, the installation hosed my system. I had to uninstall 8.0, reinstall 7.5, then uninstall 7.5 and then install 8.0 and everything works!
Now I uninstall 7.5 and then install 8.0 and have had NO problems on 10 different systems, they ALL update and work Flawlessly.
My recommendation... Download 8.0, Uninstall 7.5, reboot, and then install 8.0 (and if your paranoid that a virus might get through, just unplug your internet until 8.0 is installed).

Collapse -
AVG 8.0
by starsh-220546994637390666 / May 19, 2008 10:47 AM PDT

Avg 8.0 is not as good as 7.0 or 7.5, it asked for permission to track where ever I go on the net, permission was denied but it followed me anyway, I asked help to resolve the problem but none came, so I removed it & replaced it. Also when installing it I was informed that any problems came up I could reinstall 7.5. but was unable to put it back, now I have Avast which is 100% better. Stan.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.