AVG forum

Question

AVG 2013 Trial and Free download problems

by spearshaker / September 15, 2012 1:59 AM PDT

I am operating XP with service pac 3. Have used AVG free versions since 2009 with no problem. Attempted to update to 2013 free version, ended up with trial by mistake. Attempted to remove and go to free. Froze for over 2 hours at about 90% (according to the progress line). Since then, have tried both free and trial versions. On trial, says my license is wrong, still will not let me load free version. HELP!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG 2013 Trial and Free download problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG 2013 Trial and Free download problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
AVG
by pgc3 / September 15, 2012 2:30 AM PDT

Try downloading and running the AVG removal tool and then try doing your new download again.

Collapse -
Removal tool link
by spearshaker / September 16, 2012 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG

I lost the link to the removal tool...it does not come up on AVG site, but I recall seeing it some point. I suspect that will solve the problem... any suggestions?

Collapse -
Reply 2
by spearshaker / September 16, 2012 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Removal tool link

Okay, found link and ran it twice (used Search and found 335 AVG hits...second time, only 133!)...however, once again, lost the liink... (and yes, I feel like an idiot for not at least writing down the location). Interesting (at least to me), first time I ran it, I noted the comment that it might need to reboot several times... for some reason, I assumed it meant I would be instructed to do this... however, it did so on its own, then did not restart the removal (which is why I decided to search and to run again)... second time, it ran, then stopped...I waited 20 minutes and rebooted.
Plan: will continue (new) search for the removal link, run again... then try to load 2013.

Thanks for the help. If this does not work, may opt to let AVG do it for me... just seems strange to give out financial info to some stranger when I am trying to protect my computer from evil doers....

spearshaker

Collapse -
Giving up
by spearshaker / September 16, 2012 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply 2

Had AVG attempt remotely...$15 seemed cheap compared to the stress of continuing failures. Removal used by AVG followed by at least 2 attempts, followed by attempting to complete in safe mode... all to no avail. Will be using Avast for now..., but will keep checking... five years of no problems is hard to give up. Thanks for the help. BTW anyone who has been following this, avg.com/tools should get you to the removal tool (see, I did learn something, even if it was to write down the link "just in case."

Collapse -
RE:Giving up
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / September 16, 2012 8:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Giving up

Hi spearshaker,

Please be infromed AVG Remover 2013 utility is available on this web page (there are separate utilities for 32-bit and 64-bit systems). Then, you can install AVG Free Edition, using the 32-bit or the 64-bit package (click to download), whichever suits your operating system.
Before installing AVG, we recommend uninstalling other security solutions first as active security software may interfere with the installation process.

Should you face any difficulties installing AVG, please provide us with AVG installation log files for analysis. We will troubleshoot the situation. You could also contact AVG customer care by phone or chat.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Answer
Beyond my skill set
by spearshaker / September 17, 2012 8:45 AM PDT

Since I spent my $ for the assisted download and it was unsuccessful despite several attempts over two hours plus, not sure customer service can help (in part because I do not know what they are talking about). And, I cannot afford to remain unprotected while we figure this out, so will have to stick with Avast. However, there is hope for AVG. Will be replacing this computer soon and will go with AVG again. Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
Here's how to uninstall 2013, reinstall 2012, free
by SamsaPDX / December 14, 2012 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: Beyond my skill set

I too was a many-year happy user of AVG Free, then experienced complete malfunction of the 2013 update--froze every time it tried a scan, things started disappearing from my desktop, etc. I read the many, many complaints and solutions out there, and here's what worked for me. It did not require any help. Hope it works for you.

Try uninstalling 2013 using this link: http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities.

Then reinstall one of the earlier versions with which you were happy, using this link: http://www.filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus_32/12831/.

When you do the 2012 reinstall, be sure NOT to click on the upper LEFT green button, which will just download the 2013 update. Rather, look at the list of old versions of the program at the right, make sure it's highlighting the version you want, and click the upper RIGHT button that says "download this version."

You'll still have to deal with the 2012 version constantly requesting to be updated, and at some point it will probably tell you it isn't supported any more. Let's HOPE that by then the folks at AVG will have seen reason and fixed 2013.

Collapse -
Might try 2013 again
by spearshaker / December 14, 2012 2:48 PM PST

Avast is working okay on my Toshiba laptop, but I was getting constant calls to update 2012 on my wife's HP desktop..finally gave in today... loaded fine, working fine. I am trying to decide if I should try 2013 again. If that doesn't work, will try your recommendation.
Thanks

Collapse -
Oops, should have listened to my own advice.
by spearshaker / December 15, 2012 12:50 PM PST
In reply to: Might try 2013 again

I made the attempt to download AVG 2013 as noted previously, with same results as before, with added attraction of the required confirmation number not being recognized... or something similar. I then recalled being asked for my email address for confirmation email (presumably with that number)... never received. One positive change (?) was getting moved to the install wizard. Seemed to take forever to remove 2013 AVG... could uninstall in the usual sense, since the installation was blocked at what appeared to be about 80%, but .exe and other large files were in Programs, appearing to be complete (likely waiting for that magic number, at least that is my best guess). I deleted each item individually, then restored to before attempted install, brought Avast! back up and have my fingers crossed.
Again, always pleased with AVG in the past. The fact that I was able to update to 2013 on my wife's computer suggests the problem may be with something I did... I wondered this evening if maybe I attempted to uninstall 2012 before updating versus a fresh install of 2013. In any case, I am looking forward to a new computer (as well as winning the lottery) and being able to do a clean install of 2013. Thanks for the suggestions.

Collapse -
RE: Here's how to uninstall 2013, reinstall 2012, free
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / December 16, 2012 8:46 PM PST

Hi SamsaPDX,

I see that you've already tried to troubleshoot the situation you described (disappearing desktop icons, freezing scan), but if you'd like to troubleshoot it with us as well, please use this service utility (the troubleshooting will the continue over e-mails; AVG 2013 must be installed and at least one scan freeze induced prior running this utility in order to provide our technicians with valid data). I'm not able to guess the cause of the trouble without having more data, unfortunately.

Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.