AVG

Question

AVG 2013 Free - repeatedly asks to restart

by dgmx5 / April 22, 2013 5:45 PM PDT

AVG 2013 Free - repeatedly asks to restart

Further to other posts on this issue I have removed AVG 2013 and re-installed AVG 2013.
I have deleted temporary files using the Advanced Settings icon.
I have checked the Cfg folder to see if the updatecomps.cfg file appears to be correct and it appears to be.
I ran the AVG update several times and on each occasion following the reboot I get a pop up window with white letters on black background from AVG saying:

Computer restart required Your computer needs to be restarted to finish the following operations:
Setup or update process.
Restart now or remind me in: 1 hours.
Two buttons appear in the window:
[Postpone] and [Restart Now]

Selecting either button has the same effect viz. the problem persists and after a few hours the same window reappears asking for a restart.

I am running Win Vista HP SP2 on a Zoostorm desktop with 4GB RAM.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG 2013 Free - repeatedly asks to restart
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG 2013 Free - repeatedly asks to restart
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Use AVG Remover tool
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / April 22, 2013 7:59 PM PDT

Hi dgmx5,

I recommend following these steps to fully reinstall AVG on you computer. What's the situation now?

Thanks, Jan.

Collapse -
AVG Remover Tool doesn't work
by dgmx5 / April 22, 2013 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Use AVG Remover tool

Hi Jan

I downloaded the AVG Remover Tool from the link you gave me, and whilst it runs through the authorisation pop up and a black screen with white text pop up appears momentarily it does not continue to remove AVG at all.

Thanks, dgmx5

Collapse -
Try Windows Safe Mode
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / April 22, 2013 11:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
AVG Remover not working in Safe Mode
by dgmx5 / April 23, 2013 2:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Windows Safe Mode

Hi Jan

When I removed AVG before I used the Uninstall Program feature in Control Panel. Still no joy trying to remove it with the AVG Remover Tool.

Thanks, dgmx5

Collapse -
Have you ever used a registry cleaner?
by wpgwpg / April 23, 2013 2:17 AM PDT

Obviously something in your computer is corrupt because you're having problems that shouldn't happen. The first thing that comes to mind is a corrupt registry. Have you ever run a so-called registry cleaner? If so, that could well be the cause of your problem. Another possibility is corrupt system files.
-
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Scanfile performed
by dgmx5 / April 25, 2013 5:43 PM PDT

I recently used the AVG Registry Cleaner from AVG PC Tuneup 2011 after the issues first started appearing. I have not used a registry cleaner for a long time before that and cannot recall which but probably CCleaner.

I ran SFC and there were some registry errors which have been fixed but I still cannot get AVG Remover Tool to remove AVG Free.

Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Answer
This has me thinking it may not be AVG at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 2:40 AM PDT

I've seen this happen with "pending installs" which doesn't have a clear or single fix. Before I offer a link I have yet to find the AVG cleanup tool to fail but given all the malware and rootkits I ran into last year (thankfully not on any of our office or home computers) I wonder if there is a nasty or if there is a pending install.

Try the AVG removal and don't reinstall but research more about pending installs such as noted at http://serverfault.com/questions/264640/cleanup-pending-installation
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.