AVG forum

Resolved Question

AVG 2013 Free - repeatedly asks to restart

by anilj / October 10, 2012 2:04 PM PDT

I have used AVG free from CNET for almost 8 years and always select Basic version.
As suggested by AVG 2012 installation,I recently (removed AVG 2012 and after restart) installed AVG 2013.
I completed software update and a scan of the complete computer. There were no issues.
However, in recent days, I get a pop up window with white letters on black background from AVG saying:

Computer restart required Your computer needs to be restarted to finish the following operations:
Setup or update process.
Restart now or remind me in: 1 hours.
Two buttons appear in the window:
[Postpone] and [Restart Now]

Selecting either button has the same effect viz. the problem persists and after a few hours the same window reappears asking for a restart.

Where is the problem?

This is a Win 7 SP1 DIY Intel Desktop built in 2009 with 6GB memory, over 1TGB disks.

anilj has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG 2013 Free - repeatedly asks to restart
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG 2013 Free - repeatedly asks to restart
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by anilj

Collapse -
RE: AVG 2013 Free - repeatedly asks to restart
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / October 10, 2012 10:16 PM PDT

Hi anilj,

The issue could be caused by an unfinished update process and the system is apparently not able to replace files with their updated version even during the boot process for some reason. Without investigation which particular file is responsible, this can be resolved by reinstalling AVG Free Edition completely as described here.

Should the issue persist, please provide us with an msinfo output and all AVG configuration files from C:\ProgramData\AVG2013\Cfg\ for analysis.

Thank you.

Collapse -
It worked. Thanks.
by anilj / October 11, 2012 2:14 PM PDT

Many thanks for providing the exactly applicable solution. It seems to work. I have not seen the pop up again at least for today and hopefully will never see them. Regards.

Collapse -
Is there a way to avoid getting these messages w/o install?
by JaziTricks / November 26, 2013 3:23 PM PST

I HATE those reminders and I want to NEVER get them!

Is there no way in the settings to deisable those mesages FOREVER. UNCONDITIONALLY. With NO EXCEPTIONS?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.