AVG forum

General discussion

AVG 2011 Question: Internet intermitant and e-mail slow

by EventHorizon63 / March 16, 2011 10:43 AM PDT

I am trying this as AVG Customer Service has not replied after 2 attempts over 5 days.

I have a Dell Vostro 200 running Windows XP SP3 with a Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4GHz and 3 Gig of RAM. This past Sunday I downloaded from the AVG website the latest full version (AVG 2011 V 10.0.1204 from a previous full version (9 I think) I had and all went well. Problem is, I can't get on the internet all the time and when I do it's minimul. Yahoo will load but no pictures, links in Yahoo are of no use as I click on them and get tired of waiting for something to load after 5 minutes. I even tried going through AVG to their tech support (Help pull down menu) and it wouldn't even load. It kept trying however. Today, 325 kb (yes, kb) worth of e-mails took 2 minutes to load. I have been through all the setup screens I can find thinking something is set to MAX protection but nothing. I have disabled the Link Scanner and that did no good. I have switched the Firewall on and off and no help there either. The only (and I mean only) website that will load like it used to, no matter what, is by banks website. Any help would be appreciated. I read through 4-5 pages of posts here at CNET and did not come across this type of issue. Oh Yea, if I dissable AVG, Internet runs like it did when I used version 9.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AVG 2011 Question: Internet intermitant and e-mail slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AVG 2011 Question: Internet intermitant and e-mail slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AVG 2011 Question: Internet intermitant and e-mail slow
by Ondrej_AVG / March 16, 2011 9:30 PM PDT

Hello EventHorizon63,

this looks more like conflict with other (previously) used protection application. Can you please gather MSinfo32 output, upload to favorite online storage and provide us with link to it? So we can analyze possible conflict with other used application (or remains of incorrectly uninstalled).

Thank you

Collapse -
Problem a little better
by EventHorizon63 / March 19, 2011 11:01 PM PDT

I think I found some of the problem. I turned the AVG firewall off and the Microsoft one on to see if that made a difference, which it didn't. I then turned the AVG firewall back of and went into the advance settings to see if there was something I missed. Without really changing anything AVG started asking if I trusted certain sites and win32 was one of them. After I said yes to win32 and a couple others, the internet now works fine. The e-mail is still slow so would seeing the MSinfo32 output help this issue?

Collapse -
RE: Problem a little better
by Dusan_AVG / March 20, 2011 1:04 AM PDT

Hello EventHorizon63,

Yes, please provide us with MSinfo32 output.

Thank you

Collapse -
I'm having a very similar problem
by Eoraptor1 / April 14, 2011 5:46 AM PDT

I have a similar system to Ondrej_AVG, running the same OS, and am having a very similar problem. Internet and e-mail are slow and sluggish. AVG 2011 also doesn't seem to get along with Smart Defrag 2.0. I'll be trying his stop gap solution, but my real probem is family obligations hve kept me from really sitting down and giving the settings a good look-over. My laptop, running XP Pro, AVG 2011, and Smart Defrag, runs with no problems. I'll return to the problem ASAP.

JAMES

Collapse -
Correction
by Eoraptor1 / April 14, 2011 10:14 AM PDT

My revious message SHOULD have read: "I have a similar system to EventHorizon63," NOT Ondrej_AVG. My apoligies for any confusion I may have caused.

JAMES

Collapse -
Re: I'm having a very similar problem
by Ondrej_AVG / April 14, 2011 3:43 PM PDT

Hello Eoraptor1,

can you please gather MSinfo32 output, upload to favorite online storage and provide us with link to it? So we can analyze possible conflict with other used application (or remains of incorrectly uninstalled).

Then please provide us with more details of the situation with Smart Defrag.

Thank you

Collapse -
More developments
by Eoraptor1 / April 17, 2011 8:18 AM PDT

I removed two Trojan.Agent/Gen-BanLoad files yesterday with Super Anti-Spyware. I don't know what effect this may or may not have had on performance.

I'll upload MSInfo32 output info ASAP. At the moment I'm dealing with family issues and don't have time to examine the computer the way I would normally. As for the conflict with SmartDefrag, whenever the application [SmartDefrag 2.0] is running, avgcsrvx.exe spikes the CPU usage anywhere between 21 and 97 percent, which I don't remember occuring with the previous build of SmartDefrag. I'll give more information when I am able. Thank you for your prompt response.

JAMES

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.