Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Avast vs AVG & Norton

by travis41 / November 4, 2011 2:47 PM PDT

I started using Avast several yrs ago after Norton,which came with my Dell,& AVG let Viruses onto my PC,I set-up my copy of Avast,so all shields w/expert settings were on HIGH & sandbox on ask,have had several instances of pages blocked,but just obeyed Avast & Xed them,no darn bugs get in my PC now. Thank U, 2 all the great people who built this A/V app, Travis.PS;I have also installed it on dozens of friends & family PC's & LT's

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avast vs AVG & Norton
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avast vs AVG & Norton
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Great product
by Duncan_969 / November 4, 2011 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Avast vs AVG & Norton

I started using Avast when Norton became bloatware about 5 years ago. I've since tried a couple of other products but keep coming back to Avast as it has NEVER caused a problem on any PC where I've installed it. Great product, I run the free version but really should pay for it!

Collapse -
Avast works for me.
by RichardSlipper / November 4, 2011 10:07 PM PDT

I agree, I have found Norton caused my PC to grind to a halt. McAfee was better but that too became much too heavy. So I tried Kaspersky - great in 2009, but 2010 - oh er! So in 2011 I looked at AVG - but that didn't work for me. So then tired Avast free version. Excellent.

Collapse -
heavy on system resources ?
by justchuck69 / November 5, 2011 5:17 AM PDT

my friend brought me his old acer travelmate c300 with a centrino 1.6 cpu and 512 mb of ram so i might try this anti virus out to see how light it is on system resources..... anyone running older computers with win xp pro and limited ram .... if so how fast does it run?

thanks in advance to all who answer!

btw right now i have microsoft security essentials on it.

Collapse -
Better than MSE
by Duncan_969 / November 5, 2011 6:35 AM PDT

I have MSE on a couple of older laptops, one being a Dell Latitude with similar specs to your friend's Acer. And it is slow, I'm sure Avast would be faster.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 5, 2011 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Better than MSE

I have deleted a reply here and re-post it below.

Forum Policy forbids soliciting members to move to other forums.

Yes - New!

by Dch48 - 11/5/11 1:39 PM In Reply to: Better than MSE by Duncan_969

Avast is significantly lighter on resources than MSE. {words deleted}

Collapse -
Avast is the best!
by memphisblue / November 5, 2011 7:18 AM PDT

I have a 7 1/2 yr-old Windows XP desktop with only 256 mb ram. I had McAfee (full coverage) FREE w/ my ISP subscrition. Dumped it bc it was so greedy of time and space & resources, & was SSOOOOOO SLOOOOOOW. After that I tried various other AVs, most notably Norton & AVG, but after a lot of time and searching have settled permanently on Avast. You'll find Avast has the lightest touch of all the AVs out there. It does a thorough job, is very fast even in full scan mode, is easy on ram, and best of all, NO BLOAT! It puts up a solid door on your computer & won't let anyone in w/o proper ID and an invitation, and does fast scans using common sense and courtesy for you, the user! And NO, I do not work for Avast, nor does anyone in my family or anyone that I know. This is an honest appraisal from a retired 67 yr-old not-quite-a-computer-newbie-anymore.

Collapse -
thanks duncan_969 and memphisblue
by justchuck69 / November 5, 2011 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Avast is the best!

yeah it has been a while since i tried avast and will try it out tonight!

Collapse -
Avast is the best!
by bob3160 / November 6, 2011 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Avast is the best!

In all fairness, with only 256 mb of ram, any AV is going to have a significant impact on your system,
I agree with you in that avast!'s impact will be significantly less than most others.
Updating your system to 1 gig of ram would make you seem as though you just received a new computer,

Collapse -
reply 2 jc69
by travis41 / November 5, 2011 8:15 PM PDT

jc69; Avast is light on resources & along with my 1st post,I failed 2 mention it is great in the boot scan mode,it takes less than 30 mins. 2 scan my entire PC, which has over 300 gigs of files on c&d drives + I have it set 2 open all archives.I simply start my unit 30 mins before I need it. travis41

Collapse -
by ayushhenry / May 7, 2012 1:26 PM PDT

My laptops configuration is quite similar to yours, and m amazed with the performance given by this security solutions, in past i have faced some problems with this regarding security, but for general use, I'll recommend avast

Collapse -
Avast! is the BEST!
by si / November 5, 2011 2:35 PM PDT

I've used Norton, McAfee, F-Secure, AVG, MSE, Comodo - none of them come close to Avast!. Everything else lets the bugs in and then tries to kill them. Not Avast! It prevents them from getting in, in the first place. And, it's extremely light on resources. I love it. I even use it with only the Windows firewall and feel confident. I've installed it on numerous people's computers and recommend it to everyone. Thanks Avast!

Collapse -
Avast I don't think so !!
by mrinank / November 6, 2011 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Avast! is the BEST!

Try BitDefender it's great Wink

Collapse -
Not the software
by engtianxi / October 26, 2012 1:32 PM PDT

I think bit fender is the wrong answer, the correct software (shareware) answer is norton 360.

Collapse -
I want a computer safety program that delivers
by EdwinReffell / October 26, 2012 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Avast! is the BEST!

Since I do not get the firewall I have paid for with Bahnhof Internet Security and as I am most dissatisfied with that "service" I have cancelled it today. Before I had various free programs but took them away when I subscribed to Bahnhof Internet Security. Now I am looking for a program which delivers what you pay for. Does Avast supply a firewall which functions with the paid version? I want to be as secure as possible when surfing on the internet and using email. Also I would like to know if Avast will slow down my computer if I subscribe to it. Thank you for helping.

Collapse -
by MrPasssword / November 9, 2011 6:30 AM PST

I have my Sony laptop running Windows 7 64-bit which deals with work related information and I also use it for purchasing from the Internet. It is a very secure system. It runs avast Internet security paid for version.

Then I have my desktop which is running Windows 7 64-bit ultimate pirate version very unsafe operating system which has seen far too many unsafe programs running on it. I monitor outgoing traffic and incoming traffic because I believe it is an unsafe system.

I've run this system for over a year with no problems. The computer suddenly started taking longer to load. Something was going on. I decided to put my paid for version of avast Internet security 111109-1 09/11/2011. Turn the options all the way up PUP everything on high. Run a scan and nothing showed up. Decided to run a Boots can. Rebooted the computer and hey presto! Avast had been turned off firewall had been turned off also. I turned them all back on again and downloaded Malwarebytes and run a scan and nothing..

Rebooted the computer and avast had been turned off again.

I downloaded Hitman Pro 3.5 and it found "Dropper Trojan" in the direction of "C:\Program Files (x86)\MAGIX\Movie_Edit_Pro_15\".

Mistaken identity? As it is a unsafe operating system I wasn't that concerned and selected delete.

My computer is now functioning as normal it has speeded up again and avast doesn't turn off by itself any more.

Is this not an old virus "Dropper Trojan".

Collapse -
Avast self-defense module
by travis41 / May 26, 2012 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Hide-and-seek.

Click Maintenence-click settings{top right} - select troubleshooting from menu - check Avast self-Defense Module,this should cure any Avast shut downs,Good luck & safe surfing;Travis

Collapse -
by honeybun4113285 / May 28, 2012 12:13 AM PDT

Thank you so much Travis41,I will do as you suggest,you truly are a blessing...
Do youhelp with Windows Live Mail,and are you able to help in this area,or point me to the best forum for that,how about VLC player???Wow you have opened a can of woms with "greedy" me!!!! I use Win-7,WLM.Take care & have a great day...

by travis41 - 5/27/12 6:04 AM
In Reply to: Hide-and-seek. by MrPasssword

Click Maintenence-click settings{top right} - select troubleshooting from menu - check Avast self-Defense Module,this should cure any Avast shut downs,Good luck & safe surfing;Travis

Collapse -
Win Live Mail
by travis41 / May 28, 2012 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Avast/Avg

Honeybun, u need 2 visit Microsoft Home forum,I use only Yahoo & gmail,in all my years I have never allowed anyone except Yahoo, as my Default email provider.So sorry,Travis

Collapse -
by honeybun4113285 / May 28, 2012 12:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Win Live Mail

Thank you anyway Travis41 for your time,I truly appreciate it very much..
God bless you...

Collapse -
by honeybun4113285 / May 23, 2012 8:38 AM PDT

Hello Travis41,
I am a great-grandmother and a newbie ,does Avast check email as well?I have been trying to un-install AVG and it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE so any help in this area will also be very appreciated...Thank you so much for your help and a speedy reply...

Collapse -
...... does Avast check email as well? - honeybun4113285
by CharleyO / May 26, 2012 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Avast!

Collapse -
Re: Avast!
by Ondrej_AVG / May 27, 2012 6:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Avast!

Hello honeybun4113285,

Unhappy to see you go from AVG, but in case of any issues with common AVG uninstallation, please follow these instructions to remove it manually.

Thank you

Collapse -
Yes maam,U have mail protection
by travis41 / May 26, 2012 11:21 PM PDT

Click on REAL-TIME SHIELDS select Mail Shield & to the right under the Start-Stop buttons click Expert Settings then select sensitivity-click on High bar also check the use code emulation & check 4 pups boxes- next click Packers if All packers isn't checked DO SO!! Good luck & safe surfing;Travis

Collapse -
norton & other antivirus software
by engtianxi / June 26, 2012 11:07 PM PDT

Nowadays, more than half people in the forum says freeware antivurus software is good.

Actually, one of my family member says that Avast is not good, lots of people says MSE is good, but he said the good antivirus software is Norton. This is my process using antivirus software: (the softwares are slowly improved)

Avast => AVG => Mcafee => Norton Antivirus => Norton 360

The N360 is the better antivirus than other but to use N360 first you must purchase the Norton 360 product key.

So, the answer for any software will be Norton 360. The answer for freeware only will be Microsoft Security Essentials.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.