Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Alert

Avast Starts a link to Google Chrome

by Fred Sepanek / November 24, 2013 5:54 AM PST

I am very angry with Avast for this latest invasion of privacy to my system. I have been using Avast Free for quite a while and see more and more intrusions recently.

Now, Avast loads CHROME (I use FireFox) with a URLthat is self serving. Here's the URL:
http://www.avast.com/lp-chrome-awake?param=C*

This happens when I login to my Win 7 account and I cannot find a setting to stop this behaviour.

That web page wants you to "try" Chrome - I have and I don't want it, more, I don't want Avast forcing it over and over again.

Can someone advise how to stop this thing?

If there is no way to fix it, then I will remove Avast after many years of use and change to AVG or ???

Thanks, Fred

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avast Starts a link to Google Chrome
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avast Starts a link to Google Chrome
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sadly...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 24, 2013 6:15 AM PST

... more and more softwares come bundled with extras. You need to pay attention to what boxes come pre-checked. Unfortunately this is becoming common practice.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Got burned on that one long ago
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2013 12:42 AM PST

and while updating Avast through its maintenance feature. I've been well aware of and watchful for those pre-checked boxes to install other programs but, during that experience, no such box presented. This, however, was easy to resolve. I believe if you just go to your control panel and click on "Programs and Features", you'll find Google Chrome and can uninstall it from there

Collapse -
Did that but shouldn't have to ---
by Fred Sepanek / November 25, 2013 2:38 AM PST

Steven, thanks for your comments.

I did that too but I had Chrome on my system just to try it a few times. It was already on my system for over a year or so and certainly before recent Avast updates.

I'm angry, however, that Avast would run a program on MY system without my permission promoting a third party product so they can make some $$ from "FREE" users. I also know there is big $$ for Freeware that includes adding other software as a part of their installations. I ALWAYS use a custom install when possible.

You are right, this one came out of the blue, a normal system update brought this with it with NO opportunity to decline. This is a very poor decision by Avast and again I'm not happy that they would do this. If they need the $$ that bad they could offer the Free version as a low fee Paid For version - then folks could accept or uninstall.

Loading that code to popup Chrome with an Avast URL, is really a MALWARE symptom. It is part of the Avast start up as there is nothing in the Registry nor in msconfig that triggers it. It is coded to popup on some schedule we don't know about.

I have Win 7 (64 bit) on my desktop, where Google Chrome was installed - I uninstalled it to stop AVAST from running that stupid "commercial." I have Win7 (32 bit) on my Laptop and also have Chrome there - I used Avast's own site blocker to block that web page and now Chrome pops up with a note saying the site has been blocked - I might let this go for a few more days to see how long this crap will go on.

Avast not only draws my ire but it makes one angry with Chrome too. Avast's action is a frustration with Chrome that I'm sure they don't need or want - bad decision by Avast management. I shouldn't have to uninstall Chrome to get rid of a problem caused by Avast. If they had any brains they could check to see if Chrome is already on a system before running a popup that asks you to ",,,give it a try."

I've started a support ticket with Avast on this and if they don't have a fix, then I will uninstall it on both of my machines and from all the folk's equipment that I service - this is a form of malware, as I noted earlier.

For what its worth ----
Fred

Collapse -
As well, and for what it's worth
by Steven Haninger / November 25, 2013 8:48 AM PST

Avast and many other AV programs that offer email scanning will also scan your outgoing mail. With this, they also will ad an addendum to your message that it has been scanned and is virus free. Not only that, the recipient of your email gets a link to your AV programs web site included in your message. You might check with those with whom you correspond and see if the get the message additions. It is something you can turn off in Avast.

Collapse -
avast email addendum
by cnorisez / December 24, 2013 6:31 AM PST

How do I turn off the automatic email addendum in avast?

Collapse -
Off topic?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2013 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: avast email addendum

I'd start your own, new topic.

Collapse -
So angry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2013 7:12 AM PST
Collapse -
chrome avast
by JPastor04 / February 6, 2014 4:33 AM PST

Avast is definitely being very sneaky in the way they're installing Chrome on your computer during an update. Once it starts you have to wait until its installed and then remove it. It happens everytime I do a manual up date.

Collapse -
Avast Free and Chrome conflict
by wil_peter / February 17, 2014 10:28 AM PST
In reply to: chrome avast

When installing Chrome on my XP, deliberately (because it works fine on my Win7), I received a warning that Google Chrome will suffer crashes because of the version of Avast I am using. It isn't clear then why Avast is 'promoting' Chrome! Since I've used Avast Free for many years, I've had to switch back to Internet Explorer. Are there any drawbacks to choosing Firefox over IE?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.