Computer Newbies

General discussion

avast or norton??

by markster / May 2, 2005 10:57 AM PDT

My norton subscription service is going to run out soon and I was just wondering should i just delete norton and get avast home edition. What are the pro and cons? And if I go for avast, is the registration free?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: avast or norton??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: avast or norton??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Avast or..........
by Earthquake McGoon / May 2, 2005 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: avast or norton??

I would try the ?Avast. You can download and install it for free. Turn off the Norton, and see how you like the Avast. Try setting various features, and see what you think. I know there are many free programs which are better than Norton! Go to www.infostar.com, send (Paypal)
Peter Green a small donation for maintaining this super site, go to the AV page & take your pick! I use BitDefender, and I have AVG installed on another PC.
Also several free firewalls, etc. Good Luck!

Earthquake Mc Goon

Collapse -
Avast or Norton
by colleen / May 2, 2005 12:54 PM PDT

Hello Markster - I have been using Avast for about a year now and it is free. Everytime I go on line my machine automatically is updated. The only thing I do not particularly care about is that I have to manually do a virus scan. It is very thorough though and when I first downloaded it it had found a virus on my system which trendmicro didn't. Given the fact that it's free - its a really good antivirus program. No regrets here.

Collapse -
Avast Home VS Norton
by danielkwood / May 16, 2005 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Avast or Norton

I have been using Norton for two years now and I was happy with it's detections but for my computer, it was too slow to load at startup and too slow to use. Also, you have to pay for subscriptions to updates. However, I made the switch to Avast Home (which is a free download) and I have been very happy with it. It makes my PC runs faster, uses less memory and resources, ahs a high detection rate, has a lot of great features, you can get updates for as long as you want just as long as you register every 14 months for free which is easy enough. Avast Home version is great and best thing about it is that all of it is 100% free - a free download, free updates, free everything! I would definately go with Avast. Although McAfee and Norton were both good for me, Avast seems to use less resources, is faster and is free!

Collapse -
Avast is a pain in the butt
by danielkwood / September 6, 2006 10:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Avast Home VS Norton

After using Avast for over a year it is really annoying - the annoying pop-up messages for updating and the stupid licence renewal process has made me switch over to Trend Micro PC-Cillin Security Suite. I won't go back to Norton because it wastes my system resources and slows down my PC. But PC Cillin is fast, doesnt waste my system resources and is easy to use, has great features, is affordable and overall much better.

Collapse -
Avast... is OK
by Willy / May 3, 2005 2:14 AM PDT

Avast Home is free to home users. I use and find it worth it. Norton, to me works good but it has a tendency to be a resource hog and also tends to bog system down and on top of that, when it has a true problem, its never Norton's fault, its yours. Visit Norton support forums an d see how users are befuddled with the working of Norton AV.

FYI - I've gotten away from Norton products and I "loved" SystemWorks whcih when bundled with the AV and similar did wonders but when it falters, it falls hard.

tada -----Willy

Collapse -
Avast or Norton
by eliz6beth / May 17, 2005 12:03 AM PDT

I am having problems with the Norton update and have had several emails from them on the subject.

I have decided to disable Norton and download Avast - I can at least try.

Liz

Collapse -
disabling norton
by Kolossus / May 21, 2005 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Avast or Norton

you will have to disable it via the start up programs (msconfig) just clicking the icon in the taskbar will not be enough

Collapse -
I agree w/others
by klonestar / May 17, 2005 3:45 AM PDT

I used Norton for three years. Will not use again. I use AVG which is very similar to Avast. It uses half the resources of Norton and does the same job. I have several personal reasons for not liking Norton anymore. One of its programs fatally crashed my new puter running XP. Its still sitting on my floor gathering dust bunnies. As mentioned it is a resource hog. It also loves to imbed itself in just about everything on my puter thus making it very difficult to delete some programs.

After reformating my old puter and NOT installing Norton I no longer have any of these problems. Plus, due to installing and using other programs I am now more secure than ever! At a much faster speed!

Just my humble two cents for what its worth.

Ken

Collapse -
Ken or others: how to uninstall Norton?
by Marie Boyer / May 19, 2005 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree w/others

I have Norton Systemworks and so far so good. I wish I had known about the problems before purchasing and installing on my brand new computer. (Particularly the difficulties in removing it.)

I wonder if I will ever be able to uninstall it without calling the geek squad or paying to have it done. As a result, I am probably stuck with it. UNless someone can point me to a tutorial explaining how to remove it.

p.s. I will keep it for this subscription, but when it expires I would prefer to install AVG or Avast based on everything I have read, including these forums. Only concern is how to uninstall NAV Systemworks.

Collapse -
Jfd:link not active
by Marie Boyer / May 19, 2005 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Marie here is help

I could not access the link. Do you have another? Thanks!

Collapse -
Marie, This Should Help
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Jfd:link not active
Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by Marie Boyer / May 19, 2005 7:46 PM PDT

Much appreciated.

Collapse -
How does this solution compare?
by Timbits / May 20, 2005 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Grif

Hello,

I just printed out this document several weeks ago:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/2003080311011006?Open&ExpandSection=1

The one I supplied has you starting with ''Enable services on Windows startup''.

I see you answered Marie's question with another document.

Which is the correct one to use to remove Norton Antivirus 2004? ((XP (SP2) Home version.))

I do have a previous version that will also have to be uninstalled but I do not know if it was 2002 or 2003 -any ideas as how to find out? I do not have any product keys (which the document asks you to record) but I do have my (previous) local vendor's Account ID. My vendor has pretty much 'closed' the service to home users and I do not intend to hack his account for ''previous purchases'' or ''acct info'' type stuff. (No, he doesn't want to talk to anybody who is not in a large company....we were a great ''starting platform''...)

One more question, does either set of instructions remove quarantined files or log files and any other ''stuff'' Norton has installed or written without my knowledge?

Thank you!

Collapse -
Before you uninstall.....
by Kolossus / May 21, 2005 9:06 PM PDT

you should definetely remove the quarantined files. I don't think they are removed by uninstalling. Even if this is the case: better safe than sorry.

Collapse -
Uninstalling Norton Systemworks
by qdon / May 20, 2005 8:18 AM PDT

The pages on the Symantec help board are helful, but their remedies do not always work. I've had Systemworks ever since Windows 3.1, and have found the other utilities in the suite helpful. Recently, the 'automatic' updates have frequently not installed correctly, and I could get it working only by removing and reinstalling the whole suite.
Sometimes the uninstall didn't reomove all of the registry entries, and I had to edit the registry to remove all references to NAV and Symantec, and delete all the subdirectories before it would re-install.
Based on this discussion, I am going to try Avast.

Collapse -
Get rid of Norton
by Kolossus / May 21, 2005 3:16 PM PDT

This is an article I found some time back, hope it helps.

Important information
Before using the procedures in this document, read the following sections to determine whether there are any exceptions that apply to your situation.

If you have other Symantec products installed
When you have other Symantec products installed (in addition to Norton SystemWorks and its component products), performing the following procedures may prevent those programs from functioning properly. This problem exists because many Symantec products share some of the same files and registry entries. Removing all files and entries for one product may result in removing files that are used by another product.

If another Symantec program does not run after following these instructions, then uninstall and reinstall that program.

When to remove all Symantec products
Remove all Symantec products in either of the following situations:

Collapse -
Thanks Kolossus!
by Marie Boyer / May 21, 2005 7:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Get rid of Norton

Do you mind giving me the link too? (beggars should not be choosers!)

Either way, thank you for taking the time to provide that. Much appreciated.

Collapse -
link to article
by Kolossus / May 21, 2005 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Kolossus!

According to the link with regards to GoBack it should have come from symantec.com (www.service1.symantec.com) It has been quite a while since I downloaded so I am not sure.
Hope you have success on that site.

Collapse -
Time to leave the big guys
by vince7 / May 19, 2005 2:46 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree w/others

I used AVG initially and moved on to AVAST Pro. Norton's and McAfee both failed me over the years. Norton's also slowed my computer down. Avast is fast and uses few resources. Do this, try the free version and if you like it upgrade to the paid version. They are after all a money making company.

Collapse -
(NT) to Vince
by klonestar / May 20, 2005 4:33 PM PDT

Vince,

Im quite happy with AVG right now but might I ask why you switched to Avast and what they offer that is different?

Thanks,
Ken (who is always looking for a better mouse trap)

Collapse -
What do you do for a firewall?
by djmarler / May 22, 2005 12:32 AM PDT

If you use avast for av what firewall do you use?

Collapse -
I Use ZoneAlarm Pro
by VernonE / May 22, 2005 3:42 AM PDT

They also have an anti-virus, but I've been useing Avast and don't want to change (see my other post in this thread). So I've had no direct experience with ZoneAlarm's anti-virus.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm Pro
by Kolossus / May 22, 2005 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: I Use ZoneAlarm Pro

hasn't got anti virus to my knowledge, it only monitors if your av program is active and up to date.

Collapse -
Firewall with Avast
by Kolossus / May 22, 2005 1:01 PM PDT

I am personally very satisfied with Zone Alarm, and it is free as well!

Collapse -
I would strongly recommend AVAST! Norton NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by VernonE / May 19, 2005 6:26 AM PDT

I used to use many of the Norton products. When Peter Norton was the company his software worked great- no better, but after SYM? bought it out it went the way of all huge corporate beings. Support went from great to okay to really bad and the software became bloatware loaded with problems. NO Norton product will ever touch my computer again.

I have used AVAST for over a year and am extremally satisfied. I have purchased the Professional for several reasons--

1. Updates are pushed to your computer as soon as they are available. You get a little blue box in the right lower corner for about five sec telling you it has just updated which usually happens every two or three days (that I'm aware of-some may happen when I'm away from the computer) but sometimes more often. Of course, this really requires a always on cable or DSL connection.

2. The advanced interface give you more control over how and when scans are scheduled.

3. Script blocking.

But definetly try the free home version and consider the PRO version if you need of it's features.

Collapse -
Before getting Norton, get the Plague!
by Perfesser / May 21, 2005 2:32 PM PDT

I second everything the above guy said. I'm not sure when it happened, but Norton Products are now worse than the worst virus. And their tech support is far worse than useless.

Collapse -
AVAST vs NORTON
by carrolpicard / May 20, 2005 9:53 PM PDT

using AVAST (free) and AVG (free) at the same time on 3 computers for almost 3 years without any problem.

Collapse -
VCOM
by apoluo / May 21, 2005 1:46 AM PDT

I have used Norton Utilities since the passing of CPM machines. In those days Norton was young and the only utility avaliable. Help from Norton was available, and it was a friendly piece of software. Since the advent of Norton suites to run under Windows format, I have found Norton to be flakey {tend to crash programs as well as my PC}, help available for an inflated price, if you could depend on it, antivirus updates available only on a subscription basis, and in general Norton developing a Microsoft attitude.

I switched to SystemSuite utilities which has the same but better operating utilities than Norton. Also SystemSuite has a scaled-down yet functional utility called PowerDesk which is a superior file handling program than Windows Explorer. I preferred PowerDesk over Windows explorer to the extent I purchased the full version of PowerDesk.

Vcom has bought SystemSuite but has not changed policies, which includes dependable help, free upgrades, and free Anti-virus upgrades.

apoluo

Collapse -
Avast and customer service
by Kolossus / May 22, 2005 1:06 PM PDT

I had an old trace route program (4 years old) and suddenly avast said it had a virus. Contacted customer service and they replied within three hours! Requested to sent the infected file which I did and within 5 hours they said it was their mistake and it will be rectified in the next database (which was released the next morning). Good or not?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.