Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

avast! or AVG

by SEGMAT / June 12, 2007 5:56 AM PDT

Hey, I'm new to this forum so cut me some slack if I do something stupid! Yes, I know that this question has been asked many times in many forums but all that I can find is old and outdated reviews. I wish that someone (not just someone who tests the products for a week or so) but an actual user would post something on a forum about these two products (avast! and AVG, both free). I get the feeling from reading reviews that AVG used to be a lot worse but it has gotten better since the release of 7.5. I've also heard that avast!, has gone way down and that it isn't as good as AVG anymore. I'm curious which the best one of these two is, and since many people put links to reviewer's websites in their replies in forums, only put modern reviews in there, not ones from 2004 or something with extremely outdated versions. As everyone knows, products change with new releases and so the old reviews no longer matter. Thank-you very much, I look forward to reading your responses and continuing my time on these forums!

Matt Segstro

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: avast! or AVG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: avast! or AVG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Avast or AVG
by Casey Patterson / June 12, 2007 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: avast! or AVG

I used AVG until 2 years ago when my MS engineer friend suggested I try Avast. I have been using it since then and have no complaints. It doesn't have the slickest looking skin but who cares...it updates itself nearly every day. (you don't even know it's happening until it tells you).
My neighbor has been using AVG for years and he's just as happy with that as I am with AVAST. I think it may come down to personal preference.

Collapse -
Avast or AVG
by SEGMAT / June 12, 2007 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Avast or AVG

Thanks Casey, that's kind of what I was thinking too. It seems like they're both good at doing their job although I appreciate an anti-virus that updates as often as possible and AVG is guaranteed an update a day while Avast is nearly one a day, although when I ran it for a while I only got about 3 a week. Plus Avast tends to be fairly slow on the scans and my AVG only took 10 minutes. Thanks for your comments and I know that I can stay safe with either one.

Regards,

Matt Segstro

Collapse -
I will second what Casey said, it's a personal
by roddy32 / June 12, 2007 10:13 AM PDT

choice but they are both good.

Collapse -
Go with both!!!
by ecnerd09 / June 13, 2007 12:06 PM PDT

Use both antivirus programs. Use one as your primary one and the other for extra security coverage. Just make sure that only one of the programs' shield is running otherwise you may run into conflicts.

I believe both programs are excellent. I have been an AVG user for years until I heard about the new Avast! Home Edition. Now that I have tried it I just use AVG as backup.

I do however have to say that the Shield that Avast! offers covers a lot more areas of security. (All of which you can adjust levels of coverage to create the most efficient Shield.)

When it comes to various features, Avast! takes the top. Avast! can be very useful in a network since it offers a variety of messaging services to tell other people on the network of an infection. Avast! also offers scheduled boot-time scans, which can find something that might not be found while running Windows. And what I just recently found out, Avast! installs a screen saver on your computer that if you select it as your screen saver it will scan your computer while your in the screen saver. I find that impressive and very creative.

---By the way...long scans means more thorough to me Happy

All in all, both programs are great to have but it seams that Avast! is really starting to shine.

~ecnerd09

Collapse -
Go with both!!!
by SEGMAT / June 13, 2007 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Go with both!!!

thanks ecnerd09, that's a good idea, to use both of them. avast has some neat features, i give it that, but in terms of longer scans meaning more thorough, simply look at ClamWin antivirus. i don't know if you're familier with that but if you're not, don't worry about it, it's useless. it takes hours and hours and it's detection rates are next to nothing. I might try avast due to some issues i had with AVG yesturday. thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Matt Segstro

Collapse -
Avast or AVG
by kj-loa / June 15, 2007 12:58 PM PDT

having not yet tried Avast i can not comment on it and would also appreciate hearing about it. i have used AVG of which i removed from my computer because it was eating up all my free space....at one point i was down to 3%, that is when i removed it. this was a matter of three months ago.
i now have AOL.....which is the good and the bad...at times i have to remove it and re-install simply because it will not recognize my screen name and/or password. veeery exasperating.it does a fairly decent job but i want something i can be allowed to enter and that does not occasionally send me a blurb about AOL not being updated and i am running on default.
there has got to be a better way and i feel with all of today's technology we should not have to pay for computer protection just to receive the proper and ample coverage.

Collapse -
Isn't using both a no-no?
by TJRatfink / June 15, 2007 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Avast or AVG

I thought that rule of thumb was, don't use more than one A/V program. Is that outdated info?

Collapse -
Not outdated of course!
by darkdestiny7 / June 15, 2007 2:17 PM PDT

It's been always highlighted all over the Internet about security: never use more than 1 AV software. You can't use both as it will conflict with each other.

If you want a good and free alternative antivirus, you can always look into AntiVir free, it's fine for a free product.

There's always a fine free AV everywhere, but for those that want excellent protection against viruses, you can always look at the paid ones. Still some of the free ones work and seem fine to me.

Collapse -
Avast! or AVG - the rest of the story
by BaltimoreHon / June 15, 2007 2:54 PM PDT

I used AVG for two or three years, and yes, it worked fine with little system overhead... BUT....

When I rebuilt my OEM and upgraded the OS only Avast! installed properly on a VISTA-x64 system. So, now you know "the rest of the story".

WJK

Collapse -
avast or avg
by frmtrkr / June 15, 2007 9:19 PM PDT

hi, i run both avast and avg.they both update and they both work.i think one is as good as the other and they both run rings around norton(ugh), and mcafee. also neither programm interferes with the other when running both on same computer, as do the high priced mcafee and norton

Collapse -
Avast is Awesome!
by phijea / June 15, 2007 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: avast or avg

Avast has caught many questionable invaders, is thorough, updates daily, does not slow down my computer, AND, most important, it is recognized by Vista and works flawlessly with it!

Collapse -
avast vs avg with note concerning Norton
by Emery Hehner / June 16, 2007 12:22 AM PDT

I was a Norton user since Windows 3.1. I always seemed to have good service from them but had issues with their excessive charges for updates and upgrades. When they began outsourcing their support it was the beginning of the end for our relationship. Instead of interested, knowledgeable assistanece I began to encounter communication problems with IT personnel short on product knowledge.
I hung in with Norton because I valued the product's apparent performance.

When I purchased a new computer and had to upgrade Norton I ran into unacceptable abuse from there East Indian IT personnel. My equipment problem was that the new computer had problems which necessitated multiple hard drive formatting with the associated reloading of programs.

I ended up having to exchange that computer with a new one. When I attempted to register Norton I was blocked with the notification that I had exceeded the number of computers in my license agreement. When I contacted their support (?????) department they said that their records indicated that I had a single computer license and that I was attempting to load Norton on to a 4th computer.

I tried explaining to the IT guy ("Bill") that I only had one computer and told him of the problem I had been having with the computer exchanges. He refused to beleive me and said that he had no way of verifying that I was being truthful with him. I asked to speak with his supervisor and, after a considerable delay, was connected with "Mike") who essentially took the same stand that ("Bill) had taken. i.e., I must be lying to them.

They would give me no recource to commuicate with anyone further up the food chain. The solution they offered was for me to purchase another copy of their software so that I would no longer have to try and cheat them.

At that point I decided to end a nearly two decade relationship with Norton. I considered contacting their corporate sales department and let them know how well their outsourcing was working. I decided aginst wasting my time attempting to pierce the anonymity shield so many companies have built around their customer relations personnel, and began scouting for a less insulting anti virus provider.

A freind recommended avast. I tried it and ran into registering problems. In fairness to avast I have not contacted them in an effort to resolve that problem. A repair shop had loaded AVG onto another friend's computer that they had serviced due to a virus problem. This friend said that I should try it. I did and for the moment am very satisfied with its performance. I have some minor questions which I intend to discuss with their IT people out of curiosity.

In short, Norton has changed a long time supporter into a dedicated reviler ready and anxious to do tell everyone of my negative opinion of their practices. I beleive that they have lost contact with their customer base.

I would be happy to discuss my experiences with Norton but am convinced that they have no interest in me as a customer. It is this attitude that may be the reason so many retail outlets are affering Norton products for free. The user public is not as stupid as there actions seem proclaim that they feel.

Collapse -
Avast vs avg with note concerning Norton
by msfleis / June 16, 2007 11:09 AM PDT

I couldn't agree more about Norton and their customer service. They give absolutely no flexibility to their representatives, who parrot the same things over and over again. I had trouble with running Norton, was told to uninstall it, install it again, as the solution to all kinds of problems. It's become a pain, instead of the uncomplicated anti-virus program it used to be. As soon as my year runs out, I'm switching, probably to AVG, because it's easier to remember that name than Avast.

Collapse -
Avast vs avg with note concerning Norton -
by whblass / June 16, 2007 1:06 PM PDT

You are absolutely right. I'm very disappointed with Norton, I've been faithful to NSW since 1998 up to 2007 which I recently decided to be the last year. I had problems with their technical(?) service in Mexico and in Brazil, spending lots of money in phone calls from Argentina and lots of time mailing and finally chatting with people who replied my clear descriptions asking me always the same phrase: "will you please describe your problem?" It took me almost one week struggling with stupid instructions before I got the right subscription key for upgrading my NSW 2005 premier one day before expiration. They cashed US29.29 from my credit card one month before expiration date of my 2006 subscription. In 2006, problem was that I had to reinstall my WinXP twice because of their bugs and following their advice, both times my access was denied with messages telling that I did too much reinstallations. It was an agony of 2 weeks complaining before I got my Key-Nr. released. In my 2nd. PC a Laptop, I installed AVG 2 years ago, it is running perfect, with regular updatings the same as Norton AV. The other features I'm getting from Norton, similars and even better ones, can nowadays be downloaded as freeware from several sites.

Collapse -
AVAST or AVG
by jcpenny / June 28, 2007 1:26 PM PDT

Did not any of us see the report recently(a few weeks at most)
on PCworld... they compared the known AV and tested cautiously
with full Tests and a report.
The last two with comments were AVG and AVAST which mainly did not detect and AVG had a 48 days old virus definition list.
The author was even writing aa "Crack" to Steve Bass, I believe:
"he likes these small programs (avast and AVG).
Also was good report on Norton, not meaning that Norton is reported as good, etc: too difficult and costly on any Support request.
Best were Kaspersky, Norton, Panda, Eset_NOD32, and others
House Call was also rather criticised:: IF regret to say, we only
consult CNnet, we are limiting ourselves: all serious sources can
inform and help.

Collapse -
multiple antivirus programs
by chrisgd / May 25, 2010 7:39 AM PDT

My experience with various anti-virus programs has been that the free edition is usually fine. Problems only start when I've paid. Getting them off the system can be very un-painfree. McAfee did my head in. Currently have (paid) Norton, but as other users have pointed out, it tries too hard to be everything and the service, once good, is now better avoided. A 'tune-up' took me months to recover from. More recently giving control to a remote operator meant he attempted to implement standard 'solutions' quite dangerously. But that particular file had been observed on updates of other programs to be a false positive according to some Internet reports, so I asked Norton. His answer (after an hour or so of wasted time) was we don't recommend installing it cos the program says it might be dangerous, but since you 'say you need it' I will install it anyway. I hadn't said I needed it and only just stopped him before he installed it. He seemed to have no added information other than that which the program supplies at the user end.

Different antivirus programs often seem to give different results. Sorting out a resident and non-resident is not always straightforward. Avasti and Norton allow you to disable them. If the feature is on AVG I can't see it. AVG has just done a boot scan of my system, found no problems, but when Windows boots up I now get a nice message saying, 'This copy of Windows is not genuine' even though my PC is definitely installed with genuine Vista.

Collapse -
Your concerns with respect to Symantec software
by Ajee Antony / June 18, 2007 12:49 AM PDT

Hello,

I have gone through your concerns and would like to help you. Please send me your contact number, Region and the best time to reach you at ajeeantony@yahoo.com. I will ensure that you get the best help from Symantec.

Regards,
Ajee Antony

Collapse -
Remember when it was the Norton Suite?
by SacramentoRob / June 18, 2007 9:38 AM PDT

now it is just Norton Suits...the bean counters have ruined a good company. I had much the same experience of being driven away.

Avast! for me, and yes, I used it before the Black Pearl sailed into the box office...

Collapse -
Concerns of Emery Hehner with respect to Norton
by Ajee Antony / June 19, 2007 4:24 PM PDT

Greetings Emery,

I have gone through your post and understand the troubles that you have been through with the support center. I would like to help you with your concerns with respect to the Norton program. I will arrange for a Customer Relations person of Symantec to contact you (only if you can provide me either your email address or your contact number with region)and attend your concerns and fix it towards your satisfaction. I can provide you my personal email address (ajeeantony@yahoo.com). You can mail me if you need assistance. I will ensure that you will regain your lost confidence with Symantec once you reach me.

Best Regards,
Ajee Antony

Collapse -
I second the Norton note experience
by write2topcat / July 18, 2011 2:20 AM PDT

When I first got a computer I was only aware of Norton and McAfee for virus protection. I was told Norton tended to be a little better so I went with them. I had to call them a few times on various issues. Once I got a new computer after the hard drive on the (very) old one crashed, and needed to put Norton on the new one. The Norton tech I spoke with seemed more like a strict schoolmarm, or a prosecuter, than a technition. It turned out that I had purchased a multi-license version of Norton, and therefore was able to have it installed on the new one. But I thought it was very unprofessional of the tech to question me with an accusatory tone of voice, as though I were suspected of wrongdoing.

This instance was not an anomoly. Whenever I have called Norton customer support, I've spoken with technitions with very heavy Indian (country) accents, very stiff attitudes, and no personality. They've tended to ignore most of what I say to them. I don't know if they cannot understand what I say to them because of my accent; as I frequently cannot understand what they say to me. I have to ask them to repeat what they said. They don't ask me to repeat anything...they ignore me. Often I explain a problem to them and they ignore me completely. Then after a few minutes they ask me for the precise information I've only just given them. I am used to talking with technical people from other companies who, if they're not quite sure what I mean, ask me a question or two to determine what I mean. And they are congenial, not accusatory.

When I pay for a product, and for a service, I expect the company I spend my money with to speak to me with a friendly, congenial manner. That is a given with most companies. I think I will not renew my Norton subscription.

Collapse -
I also use both
by jmwrdp / June 17, 2007 1:28 AM PDT

I have used avast for 2 years when I read in one of the forums here about also using avg as a back-up. So I have been also running avg for 6 months without any problems, they are both scheduled to run scans at night, avast updates daily and avg updates at midnight. I have an 3 year old e-Machine that I have upgraded everything but the motherboard and CPU on. Please note that I touched my first computer 2 1/2 years ago and have no experience with Norton of McCafee.

Collapse -
Use Neither
by SlingShotz / June 17, 2007 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: I also use both

First off, AVG and Avast are crap, why you say?Because, I've seen the AV-Comparitives, which has shown in just about all tests both scanners scored the lowest, even though they're not worth it, because, having used both my self, they've missed things...
I would prefer suggesting PC Tools Anti-Virus *They have a free edition, look around*...

Collapse -
a not concerning PCTools Anti-Virus
by SEGMAT / June 20, 2007 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Use Neither

I've been trying all the free products mentioned in this thread since I started it a while back, or at least looking them up online. I won't use AntiVir because of updating issues I had a while ago with it, AOL's license agreement says that they can sell your email address to spammers, and PCTools, well, I've never had something on my computer for such short a time. The interface suggests that all users are idiots who can't work their way through a control center, and it slowed down my computer a whole lot. I won't ever use it again. I did try Comodo and liked it and am still running it although I may try Avast to see how good it is.

Matt Segstro

Collapse -
PC Tools is Very Poorly Rated
by djlen / January 3, 2011 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: Use Neither

I researched PC Tools and found very few users were happy with it.
I've been using Avast for 4 or 5 years now after using AVG for 5 or so and before
that Nod32. Avast is by far the most consistent of all the free AV's around and
IMO every bit as good as Nod32 and it's free!!
AVG has had it's ups and downs. If you're looking for consistency I suggest Avast.

Collapse -
Avast User
by lheiser2 / June 15, 2007 10:45 PM PDT

I have been using Avast for years and have installed it on my boys computers. I have had no problems, No viruses and when something comes in on my email it Wails. I have used Avast at my office for all my computers. It updates when needed and it is FREE.

Collapse -
avast! is free, and paid.
by OttifantSir / June 16, 2007 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Avast User

If you go to avast!'s homepage, you will see that for home use, avast! is free. To use it at your office, you must pay.

You are violating the End-User License Agreement.

Collapse -
Avast Office Use
by lheiser2 / June 17, 2007 2:05 AM PDT

Poor choose of wording. My company office has the license to use it. I use it at home for free

Collapse -
Avast! is very good choice.
by mfumbly / June 16, 2007 5:37 AM PDT

I've been using Avast! on both XP and Vista 32-bit for the past year. Great software and for me it has been absolutely 100% trouble free. It's light years ahead of some of the "big name" products.

Collapse -
avast down load
by cakestercampy / June 16, 2007 8:27 AM PDT

hi i just down loaded avast anti virus and it scans very slowly i have an e machine computer i bought this yr it has windows xp what can i do to improve the speed of the software?

Collapse -
Agreed, Slow To Scan
by djlen / January 3, 2011 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: avast down load

This is true for me as well. I have come to accept the slow scanning because of all the good features that Avast offers. I scan, when necessary, at night when I'm finished with the computer and give it all the time it needs. It is slow but it is very thorough and I don't find the slow scanning an issue personally.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.