Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Resolved Question

Avast Interferes with FastStone Image View; Help!

by mystierik / February 29, 2012 5:29 AM PST

I updated Avast the other day - and found it royally screwing up another program I rely and depend on: FastStone Image Viewer. Both of these programs have worked together fine for years -- but now suddenly FastStone is crashing every time I try to use it.

FastStone basically loads, usually with a new message saying "Updating Database" (it usually never says that). There's a red line around the program windows - and after a second it crashes. Repeated attempts to open the program yield the exact same results.

I uninstalled both programs and reinstalled them. I installed FastStone first - and found the problem was gone. I reinstalled Avast - and the same issue arose.

Is there a way to fix this? Please explain anything as simply as possible -- I am not good with computers, and don't understand most tech talk.

This seems like a problem on Avast's part. I like Avast - but I like FastStone Image Viewer more. So if there isn't a solution, does anyone know of another free anti-virus service I could try?

mystierik has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avast Interferes with FastStone Image View; Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avast Interferes with FastStone Image View; Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by mystierik

Collapse -
Avast Auto Sandbox was issue with Fast Stone Image Viewer
by mystierik / February 29, 2012 6:02 AM PST

I found the answer on the Avast Message Board (thanks to the person who suggested that)

It's the Auto Sandbox's fault. Turn it off, or have it ask you every time. You can find it under Additional Protection on the left side of the Avast Window, click on Settings, and unclick the box "Enable Sandbox", or change the option to "Ask".

Collapse -
Answer
Next step
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 5:35 AM PST

System Restore to a date before Avast was updated and hopefully that will get you back to both programs working together.

Then either report this problem directly to Avast or wait to see if a future update solves the problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Already did it
by mystierik / February 29, 2012 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Next step

Already did that. Didn't help.

Collapse -
then other than Bob's suggestion
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: Already did it

and if you want to continue using FastStone, it looks like you will have to uninstall Avast.

I would do as Bob suggested and post this in the Avast forums.

There may be another option but I don't know Avast at all so I can't be sure. But does Avast's own Control Panel or options have any option to exclude FastStone from its scans?

Mark

Collapse -
PS. After I added that reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 5:50 AM PST

I started reading some posts where folk are reporting similar issues with other software titles.

--> Ouch.

Collapse -
Answer
I'd also look in their other forum at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 5:39 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.