Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Avast Anti-Virus

by pcrowell / December 28, 2011 7:26 PM PST

My computer showed a virus, even though I have Avast Anti Virus installed. Avast then requested you buy the program in order to get rid of the virus. I thought this program was free, but it has essentially hijacked my computer. I cannot do anything on my computer - cannot delete the program, log onto the internet, or anything else. By the way, this happened on my mother's computer, not mine. I am thinking there is not really a virus, but they are wanting you to buy the program and they have hijacked her computer until payment is received. Could you tell me if this is normal, I have never run up against this before.
Pam Crowell

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avast Anti-Virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avast Anti-Virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: virus
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 28, 2011 7:53 PM PST
In reply to: Avast Anti-Virus

I don't think it's Avast asking you to pay. I think it's the program your mother downloaded and installed (by accident and unintended, no doubt). There are a lot of such programs, commonly called scareware or rogue; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scareware for example.

How to get rid of it depends on what program it is. You didn't tell that. So please go to our malware forum http://forums.cnet.com/spyware-viruses-security-forum/ and make a new post with more details there.

Collapse -
avast! Anti Virus
by bob3160 / December 30, 2011 5:55 AM PST

As a long time user of the free version of avast! I can definitely agree with Kees_B that the request for money is not from Avast. avast! has been protecting my computer for 8 years and Avast has never asked for money to remove anything.
The rogue program your Mom accidently installed is the culprit.
The pop up probably scared your Mom into thinking that her computer was infected and instead of ignoring the false warnings, she opened the door and let the malware in.
Free help is also available on the avast! Help Forums.
Click here to get to The Virus and Worms section of the forum.

Collapse -
another subscribtion
by engtianxi / June 29, 2012 9:34 PM PDT

Instead of using Avast, you can purchase N360. The N360 features is "unique" but nothing is the "best".

The main features are:
1. PC security
2. Identity Protection
3. Backup
4. PC tuneup

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 29, 2012 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: another subscribtion

There's been no suggestion that the OP was looking to change anti-virus suites.

Collapse -
by engtianxi / June 29, 2012 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Why?

Because N360 has unique features. But you need to but the Norton 360 product key to start using N360.

Collapse -
by bob3160 / June 30, 2012 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: because

I think you're posting in the wrong section. Symantec has their own forum.....
Trying to push Symantec onto an avast! user is like trying to feed sour grapes to a baby.

Collapse -
by engtianxi / June 30, 2012 8:59 AM PDT

No, I just come to this forum section to alert all the Avast! subscribers to change their subscribtion to Norton 360. But, you must buy N360 product key before you use the software.

Collapse -
Re: unique
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 30, 2012 7:39 PM PDT

I can't see anything unique in backup, nor about tune up. For backup there are many free solutions (like, by the way, for security and indentity protection) and most tuneup programs aren't worth their money.

So I don't see a single reason to buy N360.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.