Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

avast and ad-aware

by miazga1 / March 9, 2008 4:06 PM PDT

Should my computer use both of these software applications or is the avast sufficient?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: avast and ad-aware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: avast and ad-aware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More Info Would Help....
by tobeach / March 9, 2008 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: avast and ad-aware

Which version of Adaware: Free/Pro/ 2007/SE?
" " " Avast??

System Info particularly OS, RAM size, HD size, Processor & speed.

In general (as without info can't be more specific) the 2 should not have a conflict IF you do NOT run Adaware 2007 Scan at same time as Avast scan.

Avast AV is for Viruses basically & Adaware is more for Trojans & other malware that traditional AV wouldn't likely be looking for. They scan for different types of problem.

If you have a current Vista large drive & ram type machine, you could try Adaware 2007 free but it is a LARGE program (20Megs about) & would likely strain capacity on older machine with much lesser RAM & processor speed.

I am NOT installing it on my XP 512RAM/80G HD/P-4 3.0htz. for somewhat this reason. Previous SE version was less than 5 Megs and was no problem.

I might suggest other progs in preference but without info..wouldn't know if suitable for your system. Happy

Collapse -
by miazga1 / March 10, 2008 2:35 AM PDT

The avast is the free version and the ad-aware I was going to install would also be the free one. I have XP and 120GB HDD. Thanks for your help

Collapse -
You are fine with
by roddy32 / March 10, 2008 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

avast as your antivirus but there is NO one program that finds everything. Avast is mainly for viruses. You should also add a couple of antispyware programs. Personally I am NOT a fan of the new version of Ad-Aware but if you read the welcome thread that is stuck at the top of the forum, you will see many other suggestions.

Collapse -
Then You Could Use Most Anything...
by tobeach / March 10, 2008 4:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

listed in "tools" sticky at top this forum page:

Personally I'm inclined to Spybot S&D (now v.1.52), AVG 7.5 AS (Would suggest paid version at end of 30 day trial period if machine likes it for real time protection). Becomes on demand scanner/remover post trial if not paid.I use it this way. They also have a Free Root Kit Revealer which I keep on hand & scan from time to time.

Lately many are suggesting Super Anti-Spy (SAS) which seems good for hard to remove items. I found it very slow downloading update & very slow to scan my machine so I keep it available in case others can't get something.

There is also Comodo BOClean 4.25 which is free & real time protection. Caution: Do NOT use Spybot's optional Tea Timer if using BOClean as the settings lockdown feature conflicts w/ CBOC.

CCleaner is a must for me & I run before & after every net outing to remove excess & any nasties trying to hide in temp files. Free & runs in seconds: http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp Avoid Toolbar version/or do not install toolbar in main version.

Using alt browser (Mozilla Firefox or Sea Monkey Suite or other non-IE based w/ Sun Java) will avoid alot of threats to begin with.

As Roddy32 indicated: nothing gets 100% of everything so a few different ones are your best bet. The best ones are the ones that seem to agree w/ your particular machine & your own ease/preference so perhaps try numerous & keep your favorites. Good Luck! Grin Sandy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.