Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Avast 8.0.1489 installed; Windows Security says it's not

by Big Steve / May 11, 2013 9:30 AM PDT
I installed the latest version of Avast free antivirus yesterday; version 8.0.1489 and since it's been installed this morning when I tured my computer on there was a Windows Security Alert icon at the bottom of my screen. My computer is a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop with a Windows Vista 32 bit OS.

I went to my computer's security center which indicated my Avast was turned off so I hit the button to turn it back on and nothing happened. Earlier today I uninstalled Avast then reinstalled it and that red shield with the X across it is still there so I did a restart; it's still there. Why is it still there? Avast's icon says that it is on and that my computer is secure.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Avast 8.0.1489 installed; Windows Security says it's not
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Avast 8.0.1489 installed; Windows Security says it's not
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Action Center and Avast v8.0.1489
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 12, 2013 7:54 AM PDT

Big Steve..

When you uninstalled Avast did you use their Uninstall Utility? If not, (as suggested) execute the utility in Safe Mode.

The best I can tell you is to try the suggestions made in a recent 2-page thread (Action Center says Avast is turned off) at the Avast forum.

There's also a thread from a few years back which may give you some clues. See "Solution when Windows Security Center does not recognize antivirus or firewall. As well as the one titled, "Vista Security Center says "vista antivirus is turned off".

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Re: Action Center and Avast v8.0.1489
by Big Steve / May 12, 2013 11:13 AM PDT
I went to Control Panel; add or remove programs; clicked on Avast then clicked on uninstall. The red shield icon is still on the screen. Something else happened to this laptop last night; when I did a shut down then waited a few minutes then turned it back on some kind of a message appeared on a black screen saying "My computer failed to start" and for about 3 hours some other program popped up saying it was searching for errors.

I could not cancel the scan; I could not close it out; the only way to stop it was to power my computer down which I did last night. This morning I powered it back up and that scan resumed so I let it continue to scan and finally after 3 more hours of scanning my screen reappeared as it normally should with all of my shortcuts. I was finally able to check email; sign in here; etc. but that pesky red shield is still there tonight and my computer's security status right now is still showing my Avast AV is turned off.
Collapse -
Full removal
by Willy / May 12, 2013 11:16 PM PDT

You need to get the Avast "uninstall" pgm. from Avast. Use it in safe mode and allow it to more fully delete the Avast pgm.. Once done, reboot and have the new and latest version of Avast and then do the install. Of course, you should see no display in tray or elsewhere of Avast being active before the re-install. Doing that should clear any failed de-installs or manual removal methods. Do that as any other method has failed and will cause some issue, so get it.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

http://avast-removal-tool.com/

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re: Full removal
by Big Steve / May 13, 2013 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Full removal
What is safe mode? What is Rkill and what is MBAM? I'm now really confused.
Collapse -
Re: Full removal
by Big Steve / May 13, 2013 6:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Full removal
Collapse -
Re: mailicious
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 7:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Full removal

You have some very distrustful security software if it finds this page unsafe. Don't believe it and go on. McAfee here has no objections at all.

Or maybe you have malware which blocks all access to security sites. Then the situation is far worse.

Kees

Collapse -
by Big Steve / May 15, 2013 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: mailicious
The page wasn't McAfee; it said Comodo.
Collapse -
by Big Steve / May 15, 2013 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: mailicious
Collapse -
IF you tried all that was suggested..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 12, 2013 11:43 PM PDT

Am I to presume when you went to Programs and Features to remove Avast, you were then going to follow with Avast's Uninstall Utility? I see no mention made of it.

Can I also presume you tried what was suggested in the links provided, but they were of no help? Sad

Was the error message 'on a black screen saying "My computer failed to start' followed by anything else? Such as "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:.."?

You indicated something else happened, in that you "waited a few minutes then turned it back on and "some kind of message" appeared on a black screen saying "My computer failed to start" then "some other program popped up" saying it was searching for errors".

Since we don't know which programs they were, or where they came from, how about scanning for malware just to be on the safe side. No doubt, if the scan was initiated by software you installed (Avast included) , you would have recognized it. Some families of malware are known to report (and scan) for errors.

I DO realize you stated (eventually) everything went back to normal. In all likelihood it's not malware-related, but I still feel it's important to rule it out. You have nothing to lose by doing so.

I would try following the instructions in the "File Recovery Removal Guide. For the most part, the guide instructs you to run the Rkill tool, followed by MBAM.

Perhaps, someone more familiar with Avast has some additional suggestions.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
Re: IF you tried all that was suggested..
by Big Steve / May 15, 2013 2:20 PM PDT
Well I went to Avast's website tonight; found their uninstall utlity tool; installed it then went through the step by step process of uninstalling Avast in safe mode then came here to CNET Downloads and installed the newest version of Avast; was prompted to do a restart after the installation which I did; after my computer came back on there was that red shield still so I went to Control Panel; checked my computer's security status which indicated that Avast was "not" on so I clicked to turn it on; it came on; the red shield went away; came back to check the security status again; Avast was now on but while typing out this post that red shield has now reappeared; my computer's security status is saying once again that my Avast is turned off. SMH!!!
Collapse -
WAG here
by Willy / May 16, 2013 11:40 PM PDT

You may find some other security at work that sees its function reduced and it wants full control, like security essentials or similar. At the same time it maybe also some malware noting what's happening and it too is at work. On the surface it maybe more of an annoyance, but you need to check in order to be assured you're "clean". MS security essentials can be removed too if that's a cause.

In the top post or "sticky" find other AV or malware s/w that helps reduce infections, etc.. I suggest you get SuperAntiSpyware or HitmanPro and run them. Again, you need to be in "safemode w/networking" to access either some flash drive or burned CD to install. I strongly suggest you do burn disc in order to have clean s/w to start off with. You may need another clean PC to get that s/w, etc.. Also, if you re-install AVAST when it wants to do a "boot scan" do that as you only have one clean chance after the initial install. Often if there is some malware at work it can be caught.

As for the red/yellow shield that is an indication of enable/disable security status of Avast from OS security operations. It wants an "active" and unfortunately Avast is seen as an external AV and needs the extra step in some cases. If you used any other AV pgms. these may not have been fully removed, so any trial Norton, McAfee etc., could be at fault hindering other protection, thus you need to totally remove them. These too have "removal tools" available from their respective support website or query there, you may need to surf abit. You should be able to "enable AVAST" in security area, click on it to enable it. Quick access can be done by right-clicking on red shield.

These are other areas to check since you seem to be having that much difficulty. It maybe entirely something else, don't take anything for granted, recheck and/or redo what needs to be done. One area to be assure is removed, are "toolbars" found on your browsers. These have been PITA for some and could be another area to check. For the time being if you use Yahoo or Google toobars, leave them be, remove all others by de-installing or what have you.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re: WAG here - New!
by Big Steve / May 17, 2013 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: WAG here

Willy:

You are right; my problems seems to be more serious. I attempted to do a scan on this laptop yesterday using Malwarebytes but as soon as the scan started the blue screen of death appeared; it was only on my computer for about 15 seconds so I couldn't read everything that the error message said.

Today I had to do some work on my Dell desktop PC; print out a report; type a few letters; etc. etc. Since I don't use that desktop PC much I went ahead and updated all of my security software on it; the Avast AV; SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes; ran complete scans on all three; SuperAntiSpyware found no threats; neither did Malwarebytes but Avast showed several results of files unable to scan; the reason being something to do about the files being password protected.

I haven't been able to do full scans on this Dell laptop in over a year; only quick scans except for now; Malwarebytes is acting up; as stated previously when I attempted to do a quick scan with it yesterday that blue screen of death appeared. I'll go back and re-read everything here again and hopefully soon I can get this mess straightened out on my laptop; to get rid of that red shield for good and be able to turn my Avast AV on again.

Big Steve
05/17/13
Collapse -
Last gasp, sorta...
by Willy / May 17, 2013 6:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: WAG here - New!

Sometimes, you have to clean house in order to reduce the drag the system has to support from system resources. That could be an issue for a Vista-32bit and probably only 2gb of ram. I have no idea what is on your laptop but if too much is installed or preloaded during boot-up it can be overcomed. I have a similar laptop and found i touched on BSOD when I know nothing is at fault as in malware. I found that the system resources were being sucked too quickly for the pgms. to work effectively. In my case, I simply removed/deleted anything that wasn't needed or desired anymore. I went over everything as best as possible and it settled. I know the problem comes back when I installed yet newer pgms. to try but leave them installed until I reach a "tipping point" and the BSOD comes back, I have to clean again. Now, that's my issue but it may reflect yours. That BSOD should display some error, what is it? -OR- check the event log entries some failure.

I say that, because already I see you using Avast, SaS, Malabytes, etc. and while these are helpful they shouldn't be left installed, pick one and stick with it. You may just want to use a "restore point" to a day where no problems were had. Once done and it seems OK, then start cleaning the system of any pgms., toolbars, games, anything that can be removed. I use the REVO uninstaller for such removal and its better IMHO than the plain add/remove feature of Vista, unless you want that or the pgm. itself only allows its removable under it own de-install method, like Avast. Once all that is done, REBOOT and go into safe mode w/networking and run whatever AV(after updating it) you got or have, install or follow their instructions and run scans. Its important to reboot, because after de-installing the registry has better tracking of what going on, etc.. Now, you know why any malware or similar scans take so long as a time-consuming tasks and no short cuts. Scanning repeatedly is necessary to prove everything is OK.

What, I have done in the past when nothing can be done or too much gets in the way, I remove the laptop HD. Place in test setup(adapter) on another PC. That PC has all the testing s/w and AV, etc. to check with. I then allow my test PC to scan or test the questionable HD directly(it alone) and check results. On your laptop, if you make a "bootable Hiren's CD disc" which runs under the Linux live version and use its test/scan s/w to check the laptop. Verify the laptop boots from CD/DVD and/or select from boot menu the disc(CD/DVD) drive and thus load the Hiren's rescue disc. This is another approach, but it takes some learning but its easily done. Also, if you made a Vista repair disc, it should when booted, provide a memory checker, run that as well. You can even run the "repair mode" and see if it finds something to correct in relation to the BSOD or Vista itself.

Sorry, for being all over the fix issue but if uncorrectable, you may need to decide to totally reload from scratch. Upon saving whatever data you deem critical, etc.. I hope you have the restore/recovery discs and/or your restore partition on HD is intact and well. Doing this is when all else fails provided you don't have some h/w fault or similar. Sometimes, you have to bite the bullet and go this route.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.