TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

AV setup

by 65tbirdsteve / March 10, 2013 1:13 PM PDT

hi all, does anyone have a solution for the needs below? I am looking for a simple way to switch different sources.

#1 I have 3 large LED TV's and I would like to be able to run the same satellite signal (like CNN) on all three TV's and then to be able to view different channels independently on each TV like CNN on one TV and FOX on another. Is there a switch made that I can do this? I understand that I will need to have more then one satellite receivers.

#2 I also want to be able to switch from satellite signal to DVD source and Laptop source.

Is there some kind of matrix switch that can do these tasks?

Thanks for your time.
Steve

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AV setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AV setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is that all the equipment involved?
by Pepe7 / March 10, 2013 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: AV setup

Or do you also have an AV receiver/surround speakers/etc. in the mix?

Collapse -
Clarification Request
forgot to add the link
by Pepe7 / March 10, 2013 4:19 PM PDT
In reply to: AV setup

If you are not incorporating any other equipment, you could go with a 4x4 HDMI matrix switch, like this one from Monoprice-

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5704&seq=1&format=2

It's probably the least expensive 4x4 powered switch around. It's possible you would have to spend more/find a component to HDMI converter too if either your laptop or DVD player didn't also use HDMI. Mixing analog/digital can be more expensive in this regard. Example:
http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20component%20%20vga%20Converter.html#componentvgaHDMIzoom

Collapse -
Clarification
by 65tbirdsteve / March 10, 2013 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: forgot to add the link

I will have 2 large LED monitors on the left & right of a Smart Board panel. This smart board panel is a waist of money but it exists. What I had in mind is to be able to push a button and I can display a DVD, satellite laptop for power-point presentations and live video conferencing feed signals on all 3 displays. I also would like to be able to put a DVD program on the right display and a TV satellite broadcast on the left and maybe another source in the middle on the smart board. I know this can be very complicated but I was wondering if such system already exists. The laptop will probably use the VGA output. Oh crap and then there is the sound issue. Yes, I believe a sound system is required and the sounds needs to be switched at the same time. Wow this can be complicated. I will need to check out the links you provided.

Thanks,
Steve

Collapse -
It's definitely more complicated when you...
by Pepe7 / March 11, 2013 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

...have more than just HDMI.

Get back to me when you have more specifics on your equipment involved (laptop ports, sound accessories, etc.). Sound can be even more complicated obviously.

Collapse -
equipment switching
by 65tbirdsteve / March 11, 2013 3:12 PM PDT

so each monitor including the smart board will have the capability to view signal sources such as multiple satellite channels, DVD, Live Video from VOIP, Laptop & desktops.

Most likely all HDMI connections except for the laptop & desktop which I will need to add the converter.

I'm not sure how to switch the audio. The HDMI matrix switch sounds good but I am looking for a good control panel that I can walk up to and push a button to select the type of sources. I guess each monitor will have the ability to view the signals independently and the same. If the control panel would have the following on it.

A button for each of the following:

MONITOR 1
Desktop button
AUX (like a laptop) button
DVD button
Satellite receiver 1 button
Satellite receiver 2 button
Video conferencing button

MONITOR 2
Desktop button
DVD button

MONITOR 3
Desktop button
DVD button

All connections should be HDMI except for the audio.

Tell me what you think & thank you for your time

Steve

Collapse -
This sounds like an expensive single device
by Pepe7 / March 12, 2013 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: equipment switching

If it exists with such permutations beyond what a 4x4 matrix switcher can do, it will likely be out of your price range ($1K+).

What other equipment in the house is supplying your VoIP video content?

Collapse -
VOIP
by 65tbirdsteve / March 12, 2013 10:28 PM PDT

I'm not what the video VOIP will be. It hasn't been purchased. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Steve

Collapse -
Save your money
by Pepe7 / March 13, 2013 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: VOIP

Just use something free like Skype via your broadband service, or upgrade to their Premium product if you find extra value in that. There's also Adobe Connect, Join.me, Go to Meeting and WebEx. Grab a decent web cam and you are good to go.

Collapse -
Perhaps this big boy can do it all
by Pepe7 / March 12, 2013 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: equipment switching

It's an 8x8 Matrix switcher with digital & analog audio options. Keep in mind it doesn't have VGA or other video besides HDMI. This company is not as specific as I would like documentation wise, but it could help you get started on the premise of what you need. No idea of the price. You should call them. I'm guessing it's in the $1500-2000 range.

http://avocationsystems.com/hx-0808ha8/

http://avocationsystems.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/HX-with-Audio-Manual.pdf

There's a video here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8opTYX1GKKo&feature=player_embedded#!

They mention a future release of a web interface too.

Collapse -
avocation systems
by 65tbirdsteve / March 12, 2013 10:29 PM PDT

looks like really nice equipment. thanks for the info and I will be calling them.

Steve

Collapse -
Please let us know what they say
by Pepe7 / March 13, 2013 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: avocation systems

I'm wondering if they would give you any other advice beyond what we have come up with here thus far.

Collapse -
let u know
by 65tbirdsteve / March 13, 2013 11:06 AM PDT

I will let u know

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.