Windows Legacy OS

Question

Autorun program on thumb drive with autorun disabled?

by Bigsteve_80 / February 7, 2013 3:48 AM PST

We have a Windows XP PC at my office that records environmental data. There is no network on the machine (per company IT standards), and currently we type the data out from a printout to meet regulations (several pages worth per day).

I wrote a batch program that will copy the csv files over from that machine onto a thumb drive, and then run an Excel script when the thumb drive is put in my Windows 7 machine to format the data, save it to our network and send an email report. I can manually get it to work, but I want to automate it so any of the employees can generate the daily report with minimal training. I tried doing an autorun to have the .bat file run automatically, but it is disabled on both machines (also part of our set-in-stone IT policy). Is there a way to have the machine look for that specific thumb drive, and when it is inserted, run the batch program?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Autorun program on thumb drive with autorun disabled?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Autorun program on thumb drive with autorun disabled?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
YES!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 3:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Looks like you're stuck with what your IT allows
by Steven Haninger / February 7, 2013 3:57 AM PST

Forum policy will disallow helping you to circumvent such policy. You'll need to take your issue to them, present your case, and see if they can make it do as you wish.

Collapse -
Re: minimal training
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 7, 2013 5:19 PM PST

You can put a link to that batchfile on the desktop. Then the complete user manual would be something like
1. Login to the data collecting machine.
2. Put the stick in
3. Click on the 'Collect data' icon on the desktop
4. Wait till the batch is ready.
5. Safely remove the stick
6. Logoff
7. Give the stick to Steve.

Autorun only makes step 3 automatic. Clicking an icon on the desktop isn't that difficult.

It seems that step 5 can be done automatically by a command like
C:\Windows\system32\fsutil.exe volume dismount f:
That saves more time!

Kees

Collapse -
They are stubborn
by Bigsteve_80 / February 7, 2013 11:02 PM PST

I'd rather break a corporate policy than pay a $$$$$$$$ fine to the EPA.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.