TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Automatic Volume Control (aka volume leveler)

by oh2dive / March 3, 2009 4:46 AM PST

Can anyone tell me an easy way to find out which brands and models of Plasma TVs also include the volume control feature that keeps your volume consistent as the TV changes from the program being watched to commercials and back again?

Some brands and models include a volume control feature that keeps the volume consistent as you change channnels but this is different than the feature I described above. I have an old Magnavox CRT that has the feature I'm looking for and it is great. Magnavox called it Smart-Sound.

I know some models of Panasonics include the feature I'm looking for but not all of them. I tried to find this data on Panasonic's website but after an hour of surfing, I gave up.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Automatic Volume Control (aka volume leveler)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Automatic Volume Control (aka volume leveler)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Volume
by jasondtx / March 3, 2009 7:30 AM PST

Not sure of a tv that does it, but you can find it on some new surround receivers. It is called Audyssey Dynamic Volume

Collapse -
Automatic Volume Control (aka volume leveler)
by oh2dive / March 4, 2009 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: Volume

Thanks Jasondtx.

There are TV's out there that offer it...finding them is the challenge. My room isn't large enough to bother with a pricy surround sound system so I'll continue my search.

Cheers,
Oh2dive

Collapse -
Some that offer that feature, it only works on OTA, not
by NM_Bill / March 4, 2009 5:38 AM PST

cable. So, most of us keep the remote handy in order to use MUTE. Mute is your friend.

Collapse -
In 2009 we can't get a stereo add on keeping volume constant
by rollingthunder6 / August 2, 2009 12:56 PM PDT

I find it interesting that in 2009 there appears to be no simple add-on for a home theater system that can automatically keep the volume to the speakers within a small range (say 1-2db) in real time, regardless of source volume.

For people living is apartments, it would make sense to have a system that could keep the volume constant as not to annoy the neighbors as one watches an action DVD and the volume is all over the place. I am forced to constantly adjust the volume to keep the actions scenes from rattling my neighbors teeth out, and increasing it to hear quiet conversation on the same movie.

Don't get me started on the fact that the cable company cannot maintain a constant volume between channels.

Do not get me started on the fact that the FCC allows commercials to be louder than the broadcast "to get your attention".

Craig Knapp
craig.knapp1@us.army.mil

Collapse -
if EVERYTHING was a constant volume
by jostenmeat / August 3, 2009 5:35 AM PDT

we would all sound like robots. but I understand what you're saying.

I would look into Audyssey dynamic volume and dynamic eq, if you can afford a receiver.

I would play with all of the DRC settings available to you. yep, you'll compress everything further. they'll be in your player, receiver, tv, cable box, everywhere.

You have to understand that pretty much all surround tracks are using the exact same ones used for the theater. and when they design for the theater, high volumes and dynamic range are the norm. oh well.

OTOH, I honestly think that a lot of the dialogue issue can be reduced by actually having a good center speaker, and actually having a good speaker placement. If you are offaxis to a horiz MTM speaker, there is undoubtedly boosts and cancellations of the dialogue passband, for instance.

but I guess you did type stereo in your title. sorry. try the audyssey stuff mebbe.

Collapse -
Automatic Level Control
by uisquebah / September 16, 2010 12:47 PM PDT

Craig Knapp I hear you. In this electronic age this blaring volume is
idiotic. I am working on marketing an add on device. It`s design is so
simple it`s childish. I merely tap off the TV volume control and lead
the tap to a small mike with an AVC circuit situated near where I normally sit. I call it auto level control. Set it and forget it.

Collapse -
auto sound leveler
by M E Whalen / September 17, 2010 12:59 AM PDT

LG has some tv's that have this feature. they also have a "clear voice" technology that elevates the human voice range over background to help you hear the dialog better.

Collapse -
Automatic Volume Control/Leveling on Panasonic TVs
by wjwj88 / December 2, 2012 1:18 PM PST

I'm in the same situation - looking for TV that has this feature, after searching in the Panasonic site and not finding the information. I decided to download a few of their Viera Series owners manual and look for the contents listed under Audio features... (I do not own this TV yet) I've found the answer most people want on Volume Leveling for loud sound during commercials on most TV programs.

You have to do this on the remote control:

click the MENU button: to be able to see the Audio settings on the TV screen -->
move to the "Advanced audio" box to activate the "A.I. sound" either OFF/ON - I suppose you would toggle to it.

Item Description: Equalizes overall volume levels across all channels and external inputs.

I hope this belated help some other consumers will benefit from here on........

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.