Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Automatic updates won't install

by snakeman1978 / February 27, 2007 6:14 PM PST

I have about 6 automatic updates that keep coming up and they will download but they will not install. Anyone out there ever have this problem? Very annoying to say the least. I am running Windows XP64 and I dind't have problems in the past with updates.?????

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Automatic updates won't install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Automatic updates won't install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: automatic updates
by Kees Bakker / February 27, 2007 6:19 PM PST

Why not download and install them manually?
- In IE>Tools>Windowsupdate for Windows updates
- office.microsoft.com, choose downloads
Never have any problems this way.

Kees

Collapse -
Automatic updates
by snakeman1978 / February 28, 2007 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re: automatic updates

I have tried that. I named this post incorrectly. It should read, my computer won't update from Microsoft update. All the updates that it retrieves from the web are Office updates. I wonder if that is a clue?

Collapse -
Ant-Virus?
by entrecon / March 1, 2007 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Automatic updates

Have you run a full anti-virus scan? I have seen some viruses block updates.

Collapse -
You are not alone
by BrettMaverick1 / March 5, 2007 4:54 PM PST
In reply to: Ant-Virus?

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. The following won't install:
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB920813)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB929064)
Security Update for Word 2003 (KB929057)
Update for Excel 2003 (KB928058)
Update for Office 2003 (KB925251)
Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Mail Folder (KB924885)
Update for Powerpoint 2003 (KB929060)

I have tried multiple ways to fix so far, virus scan is all up to date, but I still can't get them to install and I haven't had any problems in the past?

Any suggestions anyone please!!!

Collapse -
That is precisely correct
by snakeman1978 / March 6, 2007 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: You are not alone

The same updates keep popping up saying that they are ready to be installed but they won't install. I have also done a full virus definition update and then ran a scan of all fixed disks with no problems and still the same updates have errors when trying to install.

Collapse -
This worked for me
by jwayne54 / March 7, 2007 2:53 AM PST

I had the same problem with the same files. I disabled the resident shield of my AVG Anti-virus software, asked to to install when I shut down, and powered back up to find the updates installed. Then, of course, I reactivated my resident shield.

I assume there is a similar "switch" on other anti-virus softwares as well.

Best of luck!

Collapse -
Sorry not for me
by BrettMaverick1 / March 7, 2007 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: This worked for me

Hi,

I have Norton Symantec Antivirus. I have already tried to totally disable the firewall and security guards, re-booted, run the updates, still failed to install!!

Thinking about it though........I couldn't actually seem to turn off my Norton Antivirus, it isn't an option in the Norton Internet Security Console, it just takes you to the Norton Antivirus settings which also don't have the option to turn it off!! Nice and friendly, maybe that's where I need to concentrate my efforts next?

Thanks for taking the effort to reply.

Regards,

Brett

Collapse -
Nice try but No Cigar
by BrettMaverick1 / March 8, 2007 4:16 AM PST
In reply to: disable Norton

Hi,

Thanks for this, didn't know this was there and it might help me with another problem I have with an accidentally blocked site. However, it hasn't progressed me any further with the update problem.

Thanks for the effort though.

Regards,

Brett

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by jwayne54 / March 8, 2007 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Nice try but No Cigar

Actually, my updates didn't install after all, which sent me on a marvelous adventure into MS boards. This is what I found out (layman's version): I recently replaced a dead CD/DVD drive with another one. It turns out that Office keeps up with what drive it was installed from, and if that drive is not there, it won't allow upgrades. SO, I just un- and then re-installed Office (2003) and now the updates work, since the install is associated with the new drive.

If you don't have the installation discs, you can fake it out. Here's an MS article how: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830168#top

I hope, like me, you've changed drives. Who woulda thunk something like that would be the problem?

Collapse -
Thats weird
by snakeman1978 / March 8, 2007 1:40 PM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

All good trys so far but I haven't changed my CD ROM recently. I did however do a software rebuild of my system. Perhaps this is similar to the CD drive being different, and it doesn't recognize the OS. I have no idea but I still have these updates that won't install and they keep popping up. Thanks for the articles though.

Collapse -
No operating system changes
by BrettMaverick1 / March 9, 2007 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: Thats weird

Hi,

Unfortunately I haven't made any changes apart from the fact that I installed and ran a "Max Registry Cleaner" which removed a load of needless entries in my registry, but I have since rolled that back again in case it was the cause and it hasn't made any difference. To be honest I think I ran the Registry checker after this problem had already occured anyway.

Regards,

Brett

Collapse -
You can always reinstall
by jwayne54 / March 9, 2007 3:57 AM PST

You can always reinstall Office. If all your updates are Office updates, that points out the problem, it seems to me. Other than that, I have no other solutions.

Best of luck!

Wayne

Collapse -
Office Securitry Update problem
by chanjet / March 10, 2007 5:29 AM PST

I have the same problem except:
At first I could not upload the (6) security updates that were automatically downloaded into my computer.
I tried all the steps with no help.
I then un-installed Office 2003 and re-installed Office 2003. I then downloaded all the updates again. This time I got (10) updates I then uploaded them into my computer. I was successful with 9 out of 10. The only one left that failed to upload was. "Security Update for Office 2003 (KB920813)
I get an message saying that it can not be applied. (error code 0x80070643. ) I tried to download to my desk top with no help. I received additional messages.."The exception unknown software" "Exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812a5b". I also got a "runtime error 217 at 0406EAEA" The end result is I can not upload the KB920813.
I hope you all can figure all this out and fix the problem.

Collapse -
Can't install 7 office updates
by StarGzngGirl / March 10, 2007 7:06 AM PST

So uninstalling and reinstalling still left you with one update that wouldn't install and that's one of the same updates that won't install for me. I hope someone can find a solution to installing the following Office 2003 updates that have downloaded to my computer and every time I turn it off try to install but fail as well as failing with manual installation. I have XP with service pack 2 and have not made any system changes prior to the last 2-3 weeks this has been going on.
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB920813)
Update for Excel 2003 (KB929058)
Security Update for Word 2003 (KB929057)
Update for Office 2003 (KB925251)
Update for PowerPoint 2003 (KB929060)
Security Update for Office 2003 (KB929064)
Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB924885)

Collapse -
Office Updates
by snakeman1978 / March 10, 2007 7:49 AM PST

I appreciate the input but I don't want to go throgh all that because I just ordered Office 2007. I will uninstall when I get that. I would, however like to know how to fix it or what is causing it, incase it happens again to something else. Mostly just an inconveinence right now. Is it the X64 OS or the antivirus(which I have uninstalled) or what ever it is, I would like to know. Thanks everyone for taking the time to try and help.

Snakeinmaui

Collapse -
Run LISTool.exe
by tcelia / March 22, 2007 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Office Updates
Collapse -
Error Message
by chanjet / March 23, 2007 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Run LISTool.exe

I tried the LISTOOL.exe and I get a error message when I try to install 0x80070002
This is realy getting to me..

Collapse -
Solution: Start Your "Office Source Engine" Service
by dancolasanti / August 25, 2007 1:36 PM PDT

I had the same problem with various Office 2003 updates and security updates for months - they all downloaded fine but their installations failed. I had disabled the "Office Source Engine" Service that Office 2003 updates require in order to install properly. After turning this service on, they all installed fine.

To do this yourself: Go to Start/Adminstrative Tools/Services. Look for the service named "Office Source Engine". Right click to open its Properties dialog. Set its Startup Type to "Automatic" and then Start this service. Once the service is running, close the Services Window and install the Office 2003 updates.

Collapse -
List Tool Worked
by BrettMaverick1 / March 23, 2007 9:24 PM PDT

Hi Snakeman,

I have tried the LisTool.Exe fix, which tcelia suggested and it has worked. You still need the original Office CD though. The first security update failed at first but all the rest passed and when I re-booted and tried again it loaded the last remaining security file all OK. Give it a go!

Thanks Tcelia and thanks to everyone else who took the time to write in and suggest solutions.

Best Regards, a very thankful Brett.

Collapse -
Fustrated
by chanjet / March 24, 2007 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: List Tool Worked

I can't get to the point where I need my orignal CD. The error message keeps coming up

Collapse -
RegCure or Onecare was my problem
by bretsharon / March 24, 2007 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Fustrated

I had a similar problem and Micro soft had a paragraph in its paper that fixed it first time. It was either Windows Live Saftery Center, or One Care or Reg cureIt was regcure's problem and I used the system restore several times back and it cleared it. I don't use reg cure anymore....Registry Mechanic seems not to do this.

They said, ">Important Tips: If you have used Windows Live Safety Center or OneCare to clean the registry keys, please take the following steps firstly.

Also >Important Tips: If you have used third party program RegCure to clean the registry keys, please perform the following steps in the following article.
>
>How to restore:
>http://support.regcure.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=125&nav=0,15

">I found error code 0x80070643 in your WindowsUpdate.log. If you view the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log file on the affected client computer, you may notice a log entry that is similar to the following:
>
>Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Security Update for Office 2003 (KB920813).
>Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Security Update for Office 2003 (KB929064).
>Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Security Update for Word 2003 (KB929057).
>Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Update for Excel 2003 (KB929058).
>Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Update for Office 2003 (KB925251).
>Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB924885).
>Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Update for PowerPoint 2003 (KB929060).
>
>I recommend you perform the steps in the below article to see if it works.
>You cannot install an Office 2003 service pack
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884298
>

Collapse -
Re-install Offfice 2003
by chanjet / March 24, 2007 4:38 AM PDT

Why didn't un-install and re-install office 2003 create a new registry? I am affraid if I do it manualy I will screw the whole system.

Collapse -
I've been rather fearless about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2007 4:56 AM PDT

I can fall back on Open Office to keep going while I dissect the issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Office Updates
by snakeman1978 / March 24, 2007 2:36 PM PDT

Thanks everyone for the input. I will have to check into LISTool and see how it can benefit me on other applications but I have since installed office 2007 and my system is working ok now. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Here you go this will work. TRUST ME.
by Laptop nerd / April 17, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

Type this one by one into the run command and after attempt to run windows update.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

It will work!

Collapse -
found an easy and reliable fix to install downloaded updates
by alot of crap / June 1, 2008 12:03 PM PDT

I just solved this problem with the help of the posting at this link.

http://www.pchell.com/support/windows_updates_download_but_wont_install.shtml

It worked after I I followed all the directiona and did the /wuforce thing ( make sure to leave a space between the file location and /wuforce in the 'run' bar or computer will consider it all a file name and not a command for that file and there for will give you an error message that windows cannot locate that file.)

I also forced the update it offered me as I had win. sevice pack 3 already and it would not let me install an earlier version. I don't know if it was nessisary to have the reliability fix but why not.

As I write this my updates are all installing Happy

Collapse -
Automatic updates won't install (solved it for me)
by scudrunner / October 25, 2008 9:25 AM PDT

Laptop nerd,

Thanks,
You hit the nail on the head!!

Anyone that is having this problem should
do this, at least it worked for me. (and should
be applicable regardless whether it is for Win.,
Office, etc. updates)
(and, there is nothing to screw up if it does
not work, you're just restoring files...but if
it doesn't, you definitely have a bigger problem)

For anyone that does not totally understand
the process, just click on Start, click on Run,
type in regsvr32 wuapi.dll (make sure you include
the space!)and hit enter. Wait for the confirmation
box. Close. Repeat for the other six files.

No need to re-boot.
If you have a yellow Update icon in the task
bar, click on it and update. If not, just run
updates the way you normally do.

Laptop nerd will make you a happy camper!!
-------------
Here you go this will work. TRUST ME.
by Laptop nerd - 4/17/08 11:46 AM
In reply to: Automatic updates won't install by snakeman1978

Type this one by one into the run command and after attempt to run windows update.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

It will work!

Collapse -
That dosent work
by Curtyboy123 / March 27, 2009 4:25 AM PDT

I have tried this and it dosent work

Collapse -
window updates
by greycloud53 / June 15, 2010 12:47 PM PDT

My updates for Office Home won't update.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.