PC Applications forum

General discussion

Automatic Backup/sync software

by carlsunder / January 17, 2007 2:13 AM PST

Hi all-

I'm looking for reccomendations on a piece of software that will allow me to "set it and forget it" when it comes to backing up my computer.

I have a computer that I use strictly for file storage. There are two drives in the machine, one is the OS (Win XP) and the other is ONLY for file storage. It's a 250 GB drive that usually has about 150-200GB of data on it. I've been using a 250 external for back ups. I usually just copy all files from the data drive to the external drive to do the backups. (I of course have to delete all the files on the external before trying to back up, since there isn't terabytes of storage on my backup. But thats fine with me.)

However, memory usually fails me, so I don't remember to make these weekly backups. I'm looking for a piece of software that WILL make the backups, preferably nightly, by SYNCING the two drives. It needs to be smart enough to not simply "copy" every night, because by night 2, it would be full.

I have something on a Mac I use at work that does exactly what I want for the PC. It's simply called "Backup" and it's just a .mac thing. So... Is there something out there for the PC that would be easy to make this work?

Thanks for the help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Automatic Backup/sync software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Automatic Backup/sync software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hint: SYNCBACK
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2007 2:38 AM PST

See google.com

Collapse -
ATI7
by santuccie / January 18, 2007 4:32 PM PST

Acronis True Image is probably the easiest to use of them all, and it is currently the leader in its industry. It has a scheduler that can create backups daily, weekly, monthly...whatever; and old images can be automatically removed from the Secure Zone when it runs out of space.

Best of all, you can get version 7 for free! Register here: http://www.acronis.com/mag/vnu-ati7

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
I know what you want!
by Gonzo Kid / January 19, 2007 12:44 AM PST

Paragon's drive backup has differential backup and recently they've released new version which gives an opportunity to choose how many drive images will be kept in the archive or how much MB they should occupy and if more, the oldest image is automatically deleted)So you don't have to do it yourself. The sheduler is very friendly also - there are many ways to set the convinient time to perform backup. One more: you can use a "shutdown after apply" feature and sleep calmly then)))
There's a trial version by the way for 30 days:
http://download.paragon.ag/demo/pdb_tr.exe

Collapse -
I know what I like...
by glenn30 / January 19, 2007 1:11 AM PST

Been using Cobian Backup 8 which is Free and available here:

http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm

I use it to backup to a second hard drive. Many features and I now have it tweaked to backup and change only those new or changed files since the last backup. It can be set to automatically backup... has many features. It may take a little getting used too but mainly is simple to operate. Best of all it's free! Can be set to backup only those folders or files you want to safeguard.

You may want to look at it.

Hope this helps!

Glenn

Collapse -
cobian
by santuccie / January 19, 2007 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: I know what I like...

Hey Glenn,

I've seen this one before, but haven't had the time to check it out yet. Can it split images into DVD-size volumes? If so, I may have to take a closer look at it.

Collapse -
(NT) Don't know... never had the need!
by glenn30 / January 19, 2007 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: cobian
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.