Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Auto-Sort FAVORITES by name - IE8

by mick2222 / November 4, 2009 4:13 AM PST

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to avoid having to manually sort FAVORITES, in IE8?

Cheers,
Mick2222

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Auto-Sort FAVORITES by name - IE8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Auto-Sort FAVORITES by name - IE8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Auto sort yes,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 4:28 AM PST

but manual sort, I don't think so.

I assume you already know how to sort by name.

The only other way to sort Favorites in IE that I can suggest is to rename your Favorite links to something that suits you, then sort by name.

Perhaps others here have better ideas.

Mark

Collapse -
by mick2222 / November 4, 2009 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: Auto sort yes,

Hi Mark,
Yes, I know to manually sort By Name.

I'm doing it all the time, and it is becoming tedious...

Mick2222

Collapse -
by mick2222 / November 4, 2009 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: Auto sort yes,

Hi Mark,

I have found the REGISTRY solution to my problem (which is what I was looking for...):

1. Backup the Registry.
2. Open RegEdit.
3. Expand:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites
4. In the right pane, click on "Order" (to highlight it), then press the Delete key, and click YES when prompted.
5. Restart Windows.

I'm told that the same procedure will work for the Start Menu (though I haven't tried it)...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites\Menu

Cheers,
Mick2222

Collapse -
Interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 5:51 PM PST

Hi Mick.

Not seen that before, and it might be useful to remember in the future, but what does deleting that value do?

And what does it allow you to do then?

Mark

Collapse -
by mick2222 / November 5, 2009 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting.

Hi Mark,
I can't answer your question, as I am only a novice user (that's why I come here).

Apart from coming here, I also Googled my question and stumbled onto http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/favsort.htm where my question was answered.

Interestingly, the Microsoft Moderator at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/387939cd-b222-4c1a-bd3b-08db0e64be77 said that "It can't be done!"

My guess is, that this might be one of Microsoft's "Undocumented Features" (please read Larry's opening remarks, in the top link).

Sorry that I can't help you.

Cheers,
Mick

Collapse -
by mick2222 / November 5, 2009 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting.
Collapse -
Nice one
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 5, 2009 4:56 AM PST

Thanks Mick.

Collapse -
Finally, Success!
by mick2222 / November 6, 2009 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Nice one

Hi Mark,
I have discovered that the Registry fix is ineffective, because the deleted entry keeps reappearing at subsequent bootings.

However, I have installed a Shareware program called ?Q-Sort 2004? from http://www.hyperq.com/qsort.htm and I have been having a lot of fun, deliberately scrambling my Favorites list, and then watching this keen little ferret go!

?Wow, what a winner!?

Unequivocally, I give Q-Sort 2004, a 5***** rating.

Thought that you might like to know?

Cheers,
Mick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.