Samsung forum

General discussion

Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz setting on Samsung LN52A750

by gilthethrill / December 28, 2008 2:30 AM PST

I have a question for Mr. Samsung or Mr. HD Tech in reguards to the Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz. When having this control setting on, it makes the foreground images, mostly people, look like they are super imposed. By this I mean, "looks like I'm watching a Playstation game characters in real time". The higher the setting the more this is noticeable. Looks like bad green screen production Foreground people when moving in frame, you can see a Halo arounds their face and body. Especially in High mode. I had this setting to LOW but can still see this.

I just turn this setting to "OFF". Am I the only one out there who has this setting off?

I think it would be great if Mr. Samsung or Mr. HD Tech would post the best settings to make this LCD look it's best. Maybe have a "Standard" settings list for TV viewing and a "Movie"setting list for watching DVDs or BlueRay.

The manual is poor with the discription of what these settings do and how you might achieve the best picture. You are kinda on your own to
figure it out. Gets a little confusing at times. Almost too many options that are unclear to a regular guy that just wants the best picture.

Thanks. Hope this all makes some sense.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz setting on Samsung LN52A750
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz setting on Samsung LN52A750
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No problem.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2008 6:12 AM PST

gilthethrill,

I'm not sure why AutoMotion Plus seems to have such an adverse affect. Many times, the content can appear distorted (and equal to the green screen description you posted) as a result of say a standard-to-HD conversion.

AutoMotion Plus is a feature that can improve signals, and in most cases does. In some cases, such as SD, it doesn't do that much for it. The different settings (including the ability to turn it off altogether) is for the various preferences that people may have. It is no means a one-size-fits-all technology, but in many cases, does improve the picture.

If you need further explanations for terms in the manual, I'm more than happy to help out. I can't post "ideal" settings, because everyone's ambient light levels, and personal preferences vary by individual.

--HDTech

Collapse -
thanks
by gilthethrill / December 28, 2008 3:46 PM PST
In reply to: No problem.

Thanks for the quick reply to my question.

Collapse -
(NT) No problem. We're here to help.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2008 4:20 PM PST
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
Switching OFF Auto motion Plus 120Hz on Samsung LN46B650
by sharmshivani / September 8, 2009 4:05 AM PDT

Hello,

I got Samsung LN46B650 recently. Default setting for Auto Motion plus is Standard. But I like to watch movies when it is turned OFF. The issue I am facing is that when I turn the Auto Motion Plus to OFF, it stays that way for a while and after 10-15 minutes it changes back automatically to Standard.

Could you please confirm if this is normal. Or is there any other way I can turn OFF the Auto Motion Plus feature?

Thank you!

Collapse -
Game Mode
by asdjonasd / October 5, 2009 11:35 AM PDT

It seems that "Game Mode:On" turns off the Motion Plus completely.

Collapse -
Game mode worked!!
by sharmshivani / October 7, 2009 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Game Mode

thank you! Turning ON the game mode disabled the Auto motion Plus 120 Hz.

Collapse -
(NT) YES it does work much better..Thank God!
by wyattpeters01 / October 14, 2010 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Game Mode
Collapse -
Question regarding ln7100 and auto motion 120Hz
by baldwinhouse / November 20, 2009 11:51 AM PST

Hi, I noticed that no matter what setting I put Auto motion plus 120Hz on , The upper source bar on the tv that shows the signal's resolution always says " @ 60Hz. I am using a FiOS (verizon fiber optics) hd box with an hdmi cable to the tv. When I switch from a non hd channel to an hd channel the info bar (or bubble) comes in the upper left corner of the tv and shows 1080 dpi and then always says @ 60Hz. is it a true 120Hz or just a 60Hz tv? A friend told me I cannot get a 120 Hz signal from any cable satelite or fios box. Only from a blu ray- But when i play journey to the center of the earth (new version) on blu ray I still get @ 60Hz in that info bubble. Please explain . Thanks-Louis

Collapse -
Samsung 630 Series HDTV
by johnsgentry / January 5, 2010 3:17 AM PST

I have the same question you have. Were you ever able to get an answer?

Collapse -
didnt get any info at all
by baldwinhouse / January 5, 2010 11:01 AM PST

"Hi, I noticed that no matter what setting I put Auto motion plus 120Hz on , The upper source bar on the tv that shows the signal's resolution always says " @ 60Hz. I am using a FiOS (verizon fiber optics) hd box with an hdmi cable to the tv. When I switch from a non hd channel to an hd channel the info bar (or bubble) comes in the upper left corner of the tv and shows 1080 dpi and then always says @ 60Hz. is it a true 120Hz or just a 60Hz tv? A friend told me I cannot get a 120 Hz signal from any cable satelite or fios box. Only from a blu ray- But when i play journey to the center of the earth (new version) on blu ray I still get @ 60Hz in that info bubble. Please explain . Thanks-Louis"

I have not heard anything back on this thread --- i cant seem to find any direct pm link to the samsung guy (who says hes on the forums all night) I am just stuck waiting for an answer and i still never see any sign that 120Hz is on in any info menu

Collapse -
input vs output
by havazn / January 27, 2010 12:25 PM PST

The bubble you are seeing displays the input source, not the refresh rate of the display. The TV simply takes the 60hz input signal and processes into 120hz output.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply but one more question
by baldwinhouse / January 28, 2010 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: input vs output

Thanks for replying to the thread. Is there any way I can see 120Hz on the bubble ? Do bluray disks out put at 120Hz? just thought i'd ask

Collapse -
nope
by conradp04 / August 30, 2010 9:06 AM PDT

Nope. You won't see it. There is no 120hz input standard. You'll only either see 24 or 60hz.

Collapse -
Just bought a LN46C630K1F
by montgome / May 30, 2010 2:31 PM PDT

I just bought a LN46C630K1F. I know what you're talking about and actually like the "enhance" or "green screen" look. The problem I have is that I have to set the AutoMotion or Off or Clear to prevent jittering/skipping in the picture. Any ideas?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.