Samsung forum

General discussion

Auto dimming feature (Terrible)

by wallstreet123456 / June 22, 2009 10:46 PM PDT

I have the LED 7000 model and must say the Auto dimming feature is terrible when watching a scene from space where you only see a star field for example.

When the scene came on it was good momentarily and then it went dim and was hard to see anyuthing. Looked like the TV turned off but it did not.

HDTech will Samsung offer some kind of update to fix this???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Auto dimming feature (Terrible)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Auto dimming feature (Terrible)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In service menu it's possible to turn it off!
by junkan_68 / June 23, 2009 12:09 AM PDT

Lets hope Samsung is smart enough to put this setting in the ordinary menu in next firmware!

The best would be like this:
Dimming - Full (like today)
- Middle
- Off

I think middle setting would have been the best!

Collapse -
Agreed
by wallstreet123456 / June 23, 2009 12:11 AM PDT

I hope they hear us and that they see what owners are writing on this and other forums (AVS).

I doubt it will happen.

Collapse -
New fiemware today
by junkan_68 / June 23, 2009 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Agreed

European models got new firmware today, it seems like dimming is changed, I will install it later today!

Collapse -
Auto dimming
by wallstreet123456 / June 23, 2009 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: New fiemware today

Please keep us posted and let us know what changes have been made.

Collapse -
Agreed
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 23, 2009 5:53 PM PDT

wallstreet123456,

I can't promise anything I can't personally deliver. What I can do is escalate the complaints that I've seen on the models that have been posted here to departments that are listening.

The issue you're seeing isn't something that it was designed to do, and I understand the frustration of not getting an immediate solution. Sometimes it takes a few days to gather information for any issue, especially one like this.

I do read every post on this board, and I attempt to address these issues as swiftly as possible.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Isn't designed to do?!
by junkan_68 / June 24, 2009 12:30 AM PDT

Of course it's designed to behave like that!!!

Why put a setting in the service menu (that makes it possible to shut it down) if it wasn't designed to do that?!

This behaviour is of course made for masking the poor eveness on the light system with side mounted LED and make people go johaaa! in the stores for the awesome artificial black level.

Just put the setting in the ordinary menu so will we be happy!

Collapse -
Firmware.
by wallstreet123456 / June 24, 2009 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Isn't designed to do?!

Junkan,

Did you update the firmware?

What changes do you see?

Collapse -
No changes?
by junkan_68 / June 25, 2009 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Firmware.

Honestly I didn't se any changes at all!
No setting for dimming and I think it works like before.

Collapse -
Thanks
by wallstreet123456 / June 25, 2009 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: No changes?

Thanks for folowing up. To bad they don't tell you what changes the firmware updates make.

I h ave not seen anything available for the US models yet.

Collapse -
Samsung PLEASE fix the dimming
by ftdatl / October 12, 2009 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

First, since nobody has mentioned it, the U.S. update (Oct. 6th 2009 release) has no effect on the dimming issue. In fact, I'm not noticing any changes at all. (Hey, Samsung, how about some release notes...and how about an web-based update on the TV I paid $$$$ for so I don't have to download from the web to a USB drive first?)

So, obviously Samsung didn't listen to its customers -- at least not in the most recent firmware release.

Now to the specific dimming issue, and this is particularly addressed to the Samsung person on this thread:

Had I known how bad this issue is, I'd have never bought the TV. Never. I've had the TV for 3 1/2 months now and it is not something you can get used to -- it's every bit annoying today as it was originally. Had the TV not been so expensive, I'd drop kick it out my window and go and buy a Sony.

Everytime a show goes to credits (mostly black screen), cuts to a commercial w/ a black period with only the TV's logo in the lower-right, goes to a dark scene (FREQUENT in many shows, especially ones like the new Stargate Universe, X-Files reruns...heck, lots of shows and commercials), after about 1/4 second the screen dims and looks terrible....and the change itself is very, very annoying and distracting, let alone how much worse the darkened picture is. (If I press "info" on my cable box, so it pops up a light area, then the screen brightens to its normal level.)

I can say without a doubt that I'd be far, far, far less annoyed and distracted by seeing the relatively minor lighting unevenness (spotlighting) from the backlight than the current behavior of the entire screen going dim.

PLEASE give us -- YOUR CUSTOMERS -- a menu option to disable that auto-dimming "feature" (bug, in my eyes).

I'd also like to see a dynamic contrast setting that is about half way between off and the lowest setting, because sometimes even the lowest setting is enough to wash out details on the screen, which is why I generally have it turned off. (Another "nice" but generally unusable feature I paid megabucks for.) This complaint, however, pales in comparison to the horrible auto-dimming "feature" (problem/bug).

To others in this thread, is the "service" menu option a viable alternative or does it (as I've heard) cause the TV to turn off every time there's a brief fade-to-black? And if viable, how do I get to that menu?!

Collapse -
still waiting on that fix
by frighte / December 15, 2009 10:40 AM PST

still waiting... please update.

Collapse -
Auto Dimming on Samsung 6000 & 7000 LED TV's
by michael.thomas002 / January 20, 2010 1:37 AM PST

I have become very interested in this issue since I just bought a 7000 series Samsung. I find it very disheartening that the "SamsungTech" has chosen to ignore this topic now.

Even if it was to say that "this particular feature is neccessary for whatever reason and Samsung has no plans to change it". That is certainly better than being ignored

Fortunately for me, my shop will take mine back for full credit. That's what I'm going to do and pick up an LG at 2/3 cost.

I hope you're listening Samsung because I will be letting every one I know buying a set which sets NOT to get.

Collapse -
I got the 8000 3 weeks ago - and SAME PROBLEM
by taylorcrobinson / July 11, 2010 5:12 AM PDT

I"m about to take this puppy back. I've tried every single setting that I can get my hands on and NOTHING TURNS THIS ANNOYING FEATURE OFF.

You'd think a TV as expensive and HI-end as the 6000s, 7000s, and 8000s would AT LEAST allow for me to turn this junk feature off.

I spent the big bucks for what I thought was the best TV for the price, however until this feature is fixed, I will not be satisfied with my purchase. It's unacceptable.

Samsung, please update this feature as soon as possible with a firmware update. I WANT TO REMAIN A LOYAL SAMSUNG FAN, please, please make that possible.

This might seem a little overboard, but I waited for years to buy the perfect TV - and I thought I had - but now I'm not so sure.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.