Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Auto copy cells from one table to another in Microsoft Word

by KingJim81 / January 13, 2009 7:20 AM PST

I have 2 tables in Microsoft Word and i want the 2nd table to automatically fill in exactly what is being typed in the first table. I don't want the whole table copied just certain rows or cells.

Please help i have been through every search i could think of to do this and i have tried lots of different tricks. The closest i got was by using special paste but you had to click update for the table contents to be copied into the 2nd table.

I know it is easy to copy and paste but in the long run this will save time and it would be a useful thing to know for many of my other tables i use in Word.

Thanks for your time and help
Jim

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Auto copy cells from one table to another in Microsoft Word
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Auto copy cells from one table to another in Microsoft Word
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My suggestion.
by Kees Bakker / January 13, 2009 4:20 PM PST

Define an Excel spreadsheet to contain the data and copy the values you want across different sheets. That's easy and fully automatically once you've got the formulas in place.
Then include the right sheet at the right place of your Word document.

Kees

Collapse -
Ideally using a single word doc only
by KingJim81 / January 14, 2009 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: My suggestion.

Thanks for your help Kees

That would work and is a simple solution however I am really looking to do this using a single word document only as this will be something i share with others and it is best for it to be in one document. Also the cells i wish to copy contain text and no calculations will be needed.

Thanks again
Jim

Collapse -
Re: single document
by Kees Bakker / January 14, 2009 6:34 AM PST

In the second (target) table you can use cross references to the text of a bookmark that you put in the first (source) table. It's rather a lot of work, because it has to be done for each cell.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks again
by KingJim81 / January 15, 2009 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re: single document

Thanks for that it does work but it doesn't automatically update or change when i type in the original cell that it is referenced to. If it could do that but make it automatically change/update it would be perfect. I don't mind spending a bit of time setting up cell by cell or whatever as once its done it will be used repeatedly over a long time.

Thanks again i appreciate the effort. I have very little free time and have exhausted my knowledge of Word, but still learning. I wont be able to check this till next week so please dont take offence on a delayed reply.

Jim

Collapse -
Ctrl-A f9 to update the links.
by Kees Bakker / January 15, 2009 4:21 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks again

Like all fields in Word. It's automatic if you save and reopen the file.

Kees

Collapse -
I may be asking too much
by KingJim81 / January 19, 2009 4:59 AM PST

Thanks again

That is a simple solution however i am making this document for a whole group of people to use and many are less than computer literate and giving them even simple instructions like that will put them off using it. I need this to work with no iput from the user so that the table filling in process is made quicker and easier, which to be honest is what these computer things are supposed to do.

Thanks
J

Collapse -
Then Word might be the wrong tool.
by Kees Bakker / January 19, 2009 5:22 AM PST

Find a better one.

Let me suggest one:
- database that can be filled (all data only once!) via a webform
- your reporting program that makes a printable html via a link in your preferred lay-out
Only rahter basic php/mysql needed, I think.

Kees

Collapse -
Word only
by KingJim81 / January 20, 2009 4:56 AM PST

That could work i dont know much about databases and i know that the other staff would not use a different program just to save copying and pasting it themselves. I was just looking for a simple fix with word.

Thanks again
J

Collapse -
Using a browser ...
by Kees Bakker / January 20, 2009 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: Word only

is even more easy for your users as using Word. Well, it's your choice (or, maybe better, your managers choice).

Kees

Collapse -
Auto copy in Word
by mmraddog / December 13, 2010 10:41 AM PST

I cannot help in how this is done, but, I have done it while helping my son with one of his Office class assignments. I tried it on a label and each time I made a change to one, the others updated without refreshing. I have been looking for the process and asked my son if he had his old book (unfortunately, no) - I am currently trying to do the same thing with columns. I guess it's cut and paste Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.