Site Feedback forum

AUGART video Converter download fail

by ClissaT / April 20, 2012 4:45 PM PDT

I have MS XPsp3.

On the 'downloading problems page' it said to turn off accelerators as one remedy.

For some reason I have an accelerator that is doing something everytime I download from internet. I get an AVG message about it but I can't find any reference to an accelerator in AVG to turn it off. IE8 recently installed itself & it seems to have accelerators but I know nothing about them so I haven't allowed them.

I have tried several times to download Augart Video Converter today but when I click RUN after the download via "save" (I save to Program Files) I now get a message saying it is a corrupted file & to download again.

I feel I should uninstall the initial download first but I can't find it anywhere. I tried the usual Add/Remove Programs but it's not listed there. I tried looking in the exanded tree in Program Files, Temp Files, downloaded files etc, but not there either.

It must be somewhere because subsequent downloads have only taken a few seconds then I get the same message.

I am only assuming it is the accelerator casuing the problem because I have downloaded Augart twice over the last several weeks with no problems. But somehow a few weeks ago 'Babylon search' arrived uninvited onto my computer which is a horrid thing & I had to get rid off it. I thought it may have piggy backed in on the latest installation of August from CNet so last night I uninstalled Augart hoping that would clear babylon but no joy there. So today I wanted to reinstall Augart again.

Now I have this new problem. It just goes round & round....solve one problem get another in it's place! Computers can be the BIGGEST time wasters around! lol

I have trawlled this forum top to bottom but can't find the help I need.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AUGART video Converter download fail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AUGART video Converter download fail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: uninstall
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 20, 2012 6:23 PM PDT

There is no need to uninstall a program if you only downloaded the installer and didn't run it. So no need to worry there.

If you want that program, I'd go for an easy work-around. Find another PC or laptop, download the installer of Chrome or Firefox (both excellent browsers) to your USB-stick, run that in your own PC, then see if with that new browser the download of the video converter works. If it does, keep using your new browser for downloads until you solved your IE problems.

Collapse -
Got it done!
by ClissaT / April 21, 2012 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: uninstall

Finally got the installation done. Such a lot of mucking around & a whole day wasted!

Kees I did try a different browser but no joy.

It turned out to be the AVG Accelerator & I had to go to the forum on the AVG website to discover where to find it on my dashboard to disable it.

I then discovered 3 installers in My Documents! One for each attempt at installation during today. No idea how they ended up there & definately not where I intended them to go.

HOWEVER I again landed BABYLON!!! It piggy backed in on the Augart toolbar which I clicked NO to but got itself installed anyway.

I will have to tell CNet about this as most people consider Babylon to be a virus or malware. So I have to change the registry again to disable it as there is no way to rid the system of this malware.

If you too are having trouble getting rid of babylon, go here to find a cure:-

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.