Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

Audiophile-Which portable MP3 player has best sound quality?

by stereophile / February 4, 2007 1:07 PM PST

What is mp3 player(s) have the very best sound quality -- on the market now?

I've owned several iRiver products, and have been very happy with the sound. However, its time to upgrade - I want something with more storage space than my 1GB iRiver 899.

What would you recommend for a ultraportable mp3 player -- I prefer a model that has an equalizer and at least 4-10GB of storage.

Sound quality and ruggedness is my highest priority -- I don't care much about video/photo functions and all that.

Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audiophile-Which portable MP3 player has best sound quality?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audiophile-Which portable MP3 player has best sound quality?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
External Headphone Amp?
by alext / February 4, 2007 10:36 PM PST

Summary:
- iPod + headphone amp
- Cowon iAudio without headphone amp
- maybe Creative if you find a player you really like

---------------------------------------------------

It depends on how much you want to spend.

For the absolute best sound you need to use an external headphone amp. This isn't for everyone. It can be very expensive and the amp needs its own batteries. Plus you have the inconvenience of carrying an additional device around.
To get the best out of a setup like this you need a player with a true lineout socket (unamplified by the player amp). The iPod and Creative Zen Vision:M both produce good clean signals from their lineout socket. You can use the headphone socket on the player, but this is not ideal.

If you are not using a headphone amp the iPod is not good quality. The internal headphone amp is quite poor. In this case Creative are much better.

For the best quality from a single player you can't go wrong with Cowon iAudio. They consistently produce the best sounding players, with great internal amplifiers. Many models are not so suitable for use with an external amp, as they have no dedicated linout socket.

I own an iAudio U3 2Gb and it is superb quality. The amp is very powerful (60mW), making it fantastic at driving quality headphones.

I also have an iAudio D2 4Gb on order. It takes 4Gb SD Cards, giving a total capacity of 8Gb. I have not heard it yet, but trust Cowon to get it right. The amp is even more powerful (72mW).

You will also want to consider the audio formats the player supports. The best quality mp3 is extremely close to the original cd and takes about 3Mb per minute in storage. Almost all players will support mp3 up to this quality.

Lossless formats take double the space (about 6Mb per minute) but are an EXACT copy of the original cd.

iPods supports ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec). Most newer Cowon players support FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec). I don't think Creative players support any lossless format.

I use a mixture of mp3 and FLAC for my favourity cds on my iAudio U3. You can really tell the difference with good headphones and I think it is worth sacrificing some space for the extra quality.

Collapse -
Some info. on quality music from MP3 players....
by g_harikrishnan / February 6, 2007 8:17 AM PST

The sound that you hear from an mp3 player is a mixture of the digital signal and some noise... The parameter that calculates the level of noise in the output is called the SNR (Signal to Noise ratio) the higher the SNR, the higher is the quality of sound... According to this the following link contains the table that compares the practical SNR values of some of the major mp3 players..
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11297_7-6510133-2.html

Just take a look at the players and since audio quality is your top priority this would help you a lot... (after looking at the chart you'd be able to understand probably why ipods never mention about the SNR value in their technical specifications ;))

But do understand one important thing - this output is achievable only with good quality headphones.. If the headphones are not good or they do not fit in your ears properly then, the music you hear will contain external noise and the noise the headphones generate within themselves.. Now, the better the headphones, the lesser is the noise they produce.. So to take advantage of the excellent audio quality that any player gives, you definitely need to have a good pair of headphones..

Some notes: Cowon and iaudio are renowned for their audio quality as they make use of their jeteffect tech... So the music really sounds good in them. Creative is truly amazing with their audio.. I have a Creative Zen Vision M and they sound amazing with a pair of Sennheisser or V-Moda headphones..

List of recommended headphones:

Ear bud type:
1. Sennheiser CX300 (app. $50)
2. Creative Aurvana (app. $80)
3. V-Moda Bass Freq (app. $50)
4. Shure e4c (app. $300)

Over the ear:
1. Sennheiser PX100, PX200, PXC300
2. Bose quiet comfort

Hope this would help you..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.