TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Audio / Visual Networking

by cbernier01 / November 11, 2012 11:12 PM PST

Good Morning.
I am trying to figure out how to set up a video monitoring system at a theatre.
What I would like to do, is put a video camera in the light booth, then run the signal thru wiring (Cat 5??) throughout the rest of the building so that I can put monitors in the dressing rooms so the actors can know where they are at in the show and not miss any entrances.
Any advice with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio / Visual Networking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio / Visual Networking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Why not old school?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 11:24 PM PST

The old method of camera and analog signal is still used for this. And it is pretty cheap still. Are you aware of the step up in costs you are incurring?
Bob

Collapse -
Old School??
by cbernier01 / November 12, 2012 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: Why not old school?

I'm not sure what you mean. The only reason I was thinking Cat 5 is because I've got spools and spools of it left over from when they built my building.
What would "Old School" entail? I am open to any way that works.

Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Even if the cat 5 was free.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2012 1:57 PM PST
In reply to: Old School??

You have all the costs of video encoding to networking and more.

But let's say you had an old school video camera with NTSC or PAL. And let's say you were insisting I use cat 5. I can do that but will not vet my answer. Remember I do design work for CCTV systems. I am not an installer, I design this stuff. Sorry if this upsets you but I'll move fast from this point on.

OK, we have our PAL or NTSC video output of the camera. Now we need to get that part that puts that onto cat 5. There are too many of these things so I'll supply ONE and you can find the others. Here it is.

http://media.extron.com/download/files/brochure/CAT5br.pdf

Again, there are far too many versions of this and I don't endorse any one solution as there are many.

START SIMPLE with your camera and a monitor. Get that working on your bench then set up your extender on the bench then you are ready to do the real install.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Collapse -
No problem
by cbernier01 / November 12, 2012 10:32 PM PST

Like I said above, I am open to any way that works.
If ditching the Cat5 is the way to go, then I will do that. I am really just looking for a way to somewhat easily get a video signal from the camera to 5 different locations. Preferably something that won't break the bank.

So if you have any advice on doing that, using COAX, or whatever I need to use, I would be thrilled to hear what they are.

I will be doing all the installation myself. Luckily when they built my building they ran spare conduit and pull lines, so getting whatever lines where they need to go is not a big issue.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Collapse -
If you went coax.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: No problem

It's very old school with so much content on the web that you may be sipping from the fire hose with the usual overload.

But with your usual camera and video composite output you connect it up on your bench first then with that working move to your longer cables. At some point you need an video splitter or booster. I never plan ahead for that since many setups don't need it and the folk I work with like how that rolls. (lower costs.)

For those that must plan to the nTH detail, you go ahead with the amplifiers and splitters and let them pay.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.