Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

audio sounds like alvin the wife is chewing

by manlymodel1 / February 27, 2005 12:37 AM PST

i am using windows media player 10 with windows xp and all of my audio sounds like the characters are breathing helium, i have tried everything in the eq and have had no change, please someone advise before wife eats my ear completely off

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: audio sounds like alvin the wife is chewing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: audio sounds like alvin the wife is chewing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually a well known issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 12:48 AM PST

But you omitted the make and model as asked for inthe forum tip. The forum tip is presented with every post. It reads:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

The audio driver is in need of being updated. Windows, Microsoft or a button in Windows will not do this for you.

A forum member could have supplied a link, but your omissions made a ready answer impossible.

Collapse -
truly sorry, hope this helps, ty again
by manlymodel1 / February 27, 2005 1:00 AM PST

wife had this built for me for my birthday so it really isn't a store bought name, however i do have the belarc advisor audit on my system and it says no details available for the system. however it does break the entire computer down in all its components and software, where should i look to provide you with needed info? does say for multimedia that i have realtrek ac'97 audio and unimodem half duplex audio device....that help any i hope?

Collapse -
Close, but no winner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 1:07 AM PST

All I can see is that you have some onboard audio. You should pester the support of the computer or tell the forum the make/model of the motherboard.

If you don't know, look at driver CDs or manuals that came with the motherboard.

Again, the issue and solution is very well known. But I can't supply a link to the driver since your post omitted the key information.

Collapse -
ty bob
by manlymodel1 / February 27, 2005 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: Close, but no winner.

i will try other avenues as you suggested, in the meantime, the main circuit board is a microstar international ltd ms-7082 with a bus clock of 200 megahertz, am i getting closer?

Collapse -
Yes. But can I ask?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: ty bob
Collapse -
txs again bob
by manlymodel1 / February 27, 2005 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Yes. But can I ask?

i had no idea where to look, but you are a saint, ty many times again

Collapse -
The deal..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 1:54 AM PST
In reply to: txs again bob

If you really can't find it off the link provided, just write back and I'll try to find it for you.

Best of luck,

Collapse -
help again bob please
by manlymodel1 / February 27, 2005 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: The deal..

ok, i finally found what you told me too, and its explanation sounds like just the right medicine, but, after i downloaded 13.5 mb now i have no idea how to use it, i have tried all 4 of the set up icons and all i get is that it won't open, help one more time please?

thanx slim

Collapse -
Setup and can be done in a number of ways...
by Michael Geist / February 27, 2005 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: help again bob please

depending on how the software is written. If their exists a setup.exe file you will simply double click to open and install. You may also install by entering Device Manager, look on the Hardware tab for the sound device. Then choose to update the driver and direct the installation to the folder that contains the downloaded files.

Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: help again bob please
Collapse -
sounds like chipmunks ?
by Papa Echo / February 27, 2005 7:39 PM PST

The last time a similar thing happened to me, I went to the Control Panel and opened the icon for my "Sound Effects Manager" (AC97 Audio Control Panel). You may have something similar. There was an adjustment for "KEY". Yours may be raised. The normal setting should be "0".

Collapse -
Fixing Alvin and the Chipmunks sounding Audio on a pc
by bill60606060 / December 28, 2011 12:18 PM PST

You hit it dead on the money. It was not the drivers at all....... It was the adjustment key for the Karaoke option. On this Nobilis Xp desktop pc, I went to the bottom right of the desktop screen, double clicked on the "Realtek HD Audio Manager icon, and below karaoke was the number 4 and some up/down arrows. I hovered the cursor over the arrows, and it said "key - ". I lowered the number to zero by clicking on the bottom or down arrow, and walah, no more alvin and the chipmunks Happy Thank You....

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.