TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Audio Return Channel Problem

by vincesamoy / August 23, 2011 2:29 AM PDT

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me cause Samsung themselves can't. I just bought a Home Theater System (Samsung HT-D550) and hooked it up to my Samsung LCD TV using a HDMI cable ver 4.1 which was required. Apparently, when I set the TV options to external speakers and enable the ARC feature on the home theater system, no sound is produced. It works fine with just the DVD/CD, but not with just the TV. I've already upgraded the firmware on my TV. Called Samsung support several times and even they couldn't figure out what the problem is. The manual doesn't show anything complicated. ARC will work with a HDMI cable connected to the TV. But it doesn't... so please give me something I can work on. Or else, I might need to return this thing and say it's broken. I do have an HD cable box tho. But I'm not sure if that's a problem or maybe it needs to be connected somewhere between the two devices. HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio Return Channel Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio Return Channel Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Audio Return Channel Problem
by 3coursedinner / August 23, 2011 5:13 AM PDT

What works fine with the DVD/CD? DVD/CD sound comes out the tv speakers or the HT-D550 speakers? What model Samsung TV?
I read your post several times -- no sound is produced where?

Collapse -
Samsung LN32B460
by vincesamoy / August 23, 2011 6:57 AM PDT

TV model Samsung LN32B460. The speaker works when I'm watching DVD/CD. If I'm just on my regular channels, the speaker doesn't produce any sound. ARC is enabled using HDMI cable and TV sound settings is set to external speakers. Samsung confirmed it should work. Sooooo... I don't know =s

Collapse -
(NT) Try adding the Optical return path too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2011 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LN32B460
Collapse -
Answer
ARC Problem
by 3coursedinner / August 23, 2011 5:21 AM PDT

If I'm looking at the right manual -- check out page 30, top right hand side. "Note: When Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) is off, the Audio Return Channel function is not available". The setup menu should address this as to how to turn on and off. CEC is for using one remote for multiple HDMI connected devices, I believe.
Also on the left hand side, check the section on HDMI audio for your problem.
On a side note, when using the TV speakers, HDMI audio is downmixed to 2 channels (stereo).
I hope this helps.

Collapse -
ARC Problem - reply
by vincesamoy / August 23, 2011 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: ARC Problem

I've already set and used stereo but still nothing. Regarding the Anynet+, I'm using the Home Theater Systems remote to control both the TV and the Home Theater System. I guess that's enabled or compatible. And if not, it does say I can't choose the ARC option if the TV is not compatible via Anynet+ which I can change on and off and is available.

Collapse -
HDTV is likely the issue
by Pepe7 / August 23, 2011 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: ARC Problem - reply

I don't see any reference in the user manual to ARC. That is required for ARC to function, btw.
Also, this Samsung HT-D550 lacks appropriate HDMI or Component inputs, so you miss out on the convenience of being able to simply connect your HD cable box (etc.) to the unit instead of to the HDTV. Ideally you would connect it all like the following to circumvent not having ARC on the HDTV. The burning question is whether or not you can send a video signal to the HDTV, and a separate audio signal to the 550 to facilitate proper surround sound. There may be a setting in the cable box menu you can try anyway.
HD Cable box (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung HDTV
HD Cable box (digital optical out) --> (digtal optical in) Samsung HT-D550
Samsung HT-D550 (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Samsung HDTV
Let me know how it goes...
-Pedro

Collapse -
Optical Cable
by vincesamoy / August 24, 2011 2:40 AM PDT

I guess that's the only option left for me. It's kinda ******** that the HDMI cable won't do the trick since the manual stated that you only need the HDMI cable to have the ARC feature work. I'll let you guys know.

Collapse -
Manual is wrong, in that case
by Pepe7 / August 24, 2011 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Optical Cable
Collapse -
Giving up
by vincesamoy / August 24, 2011 11:13 PM PDT

Hi guys,

Appreciate all the infos that you have given. Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work. I've tried everything. RCA cable doesn't work. Optical Cable does not work as well (is there any size for the cable or are all optical cables the same?). HDMI doesn't work as well. I've upgraded my HDTVs firmware. I want to upgrade the Home Theater Systems firmware, but could not see any online on their website. So I've boxed up all the components and returning them. I'm going to have them try it at the store and probably show me how to install it (if I did miss anything).

Thanks again!

=)

Collapse -
Definitely plan ahead if possible
by Pepe7 / August 25, 2011 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Giving up

It's always a good idea to do a little legwork before buying these type of products. Drop a detailed message into a forum like this one, or @ AVS forum to see precisely what you need to achieve certain functionality w/ your AV/HT system. IME and O, the store clerks are generally less than reliable for this type of verification since of late they frequently are advanced order takers at the highest capacity, certainly in the big box stores. They just want to move product.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by eliniko1 / November 21, 2011 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: Giving up

Vince, were you able to figure out what the problem was? My HT5500 wont produce the regular tv sound, only the tv speakers play. The home theater plays dvd's fine, and the theater sound kicks on when played. Samsung is no help, waste of phone time...please let me know.

Collapse -
Please re-read the above thread
by Pepe7 / November 21, 2011 2:01 PM PST

It's an issue with the ARC standard. All components need to support it for it to work.
I will cut and paste what you nee to focus on below-
-----------------------------------
<span class="subject">Manual is wrong, in that case
<div class="subtext"> by <a href="http://www.cnet.com/profile/Pepe7/"><font color="#2964bf">Pepe7</font></a> - 8/24/11 9:46 AM

In Reply to: <a href="http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7596_102-539086/audio-return-channel-problem/?tag=contentBody;threadListing#message5191650"><font color="#2964bf">Optical Cable</font></a> by <a href="http://www.cnet.com/profile/vincesamoy/"><font color="#2964bf">vincesamoy</font></a>

</div>

Collapse -
thanks for the response
by eliniko1 / November 21, 2011 3:15 PM PST

Looking at the tv manual, no ARC supported......so optical audio cable should solve it thanks for the response

Collapse -
Answer
No Audio through HDMI out
by tayhuat / December 7, 2011 8:59 PM PST

I would rather suggest you run another pair of RCA audio i.e. red and white phono jack and find out whether it works ,good luck TQ

Collapse -
Answer
Disable external speakers option in the audio settings!
by cyleriggs / December 12, 2012 9:33 AM PST

Do not set the external speakers option! Set the speaker option to TV in order to enable HDMI Audio Return on the Samsung TV. This solved it for me.

Collapse -
Answer
Change your cable
by Roger_of_Arabia / June 8, 2014 8:08 AM PDT

I had the same problem using a Samsung smart TV and a Panasonic Blueray/Home Theater it drove me crazy. I thought that it was possible that the cable was built to the old HTMI specs so I bought a new one that is an RCA marked "Digital plus" which specifically stated that it supports 3D, ethernet, audio return channel and 10.2 GPS.

I plugged that cable in and it worked perfecto!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.