Peripherals forum

Resolved Question

Audio "pops with USB DAC for the first fraction of a second.

by asortofdream / January 29, 2013 10:02 AM PST

I have a TubeMagic DAC that connects to my computer via USB. I first noticed a popping sound coming from the DAC hardware box when the silent loading screens initiated in SpecOps: The Line.

I later noticed popping in the speakers during movie playback and during the first few notes of any song in Winamp.

Progression and location of events; works box is popping while plugged into real USB port > plug into externally AC powered USB hob and works fine. starts popping a month later. > plug into front usb ports and second hub, notice sound is louder and no pops.

Anyone have any clue as to the likely cause? Static in the motherboard? Underpowered/overpowered USB ports? Drivers?

asortofdream has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio "pops with USB DAC for the first fraction of a second.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio "pops with USB DAC for the first fraction of a second.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by asortofdream

Collapse -
(NT) Do other USB DACs work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 12:00 AM PST
Collapse -
yes, other devices work fine.
by asortofdream / January 30, 2013 1:21 AM PST

Yes, other peripheral devices, including a Xmod USB sound card work fine.

I've heard numerous people make similar complaints about static and popping with the TubeMagic but nobody seems to have found the culprit. I think I've localized the problem to motherboard static, USB power surges or voltage under supply, and/or drivers. I'd sincerely appreciate any guesses as how plausible any of these possible causes are for static and popping through the speakers alongside a "popping" from the DAC.

Two types of "pops" sound from the actual hardware. One sounds like a jittering buzz I associate with static. The other is a "clicking" sound identical to that made by a XonarSTX on start up or when switching modes. I'm not worried about this second type, as I understand that is the sound of transistors powering up.

Collapse -
I think you found it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 1:22 AM PST

But are having a hard time accepting that the product has a defect. Since it is defective, return it and don't use it again.
Bob

Collapse -
almost.
by asortofdream / January 30, 2013 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: I think you found it.

It's not defective under all circumstances. It's only problematic depending on what USB port it is plugged into.

Collapse -
But it is defective.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: almost.

And does not work in all ports. All this means is that there is no reason to keep it unless you can live with a crappy thing.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks and final question.
by asortofdream / January 30, 2013 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: But it is defective.

Thanks for your help, Bob. I'm confident you're right that it's a hardware malfunction but I'm trending toward thinking the problem is due to a design defect.

One more question, are you familiar enough with hardware to make a suggestion on what might cause the hardware to emit a static buzz at times? I'm more interested in finding a cause than a solution (solution being: as you suggest, returning a poorly designed device).

Collapse -
The designer maker may know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2013 12:31 PM PST

It's a long list of things from a driver issue to power available on the USB port. I get those USB DAC things for 2 to 3 bucks to my mailbox to sub in for failed onboard audio. So when I get a bum one I give it to a buddy that seems to want to try to fix everything.
Bob

Collapse -
Quality matters
by Willy / February 4, 2013 12:33 AM PST

Now you know why some devices cost more than others for the same function. Audio bounds, but solutions are sometimes build-in to better handle them. Seeing some DAC devices handling low voltages, etc. and then the make-up of the components, you wonder if it can handle as they are easily over-whelmed it seems to me at times. Just the plain fact, you get a pop is not unheard of as being-ON just got an unwanted audio response. Just cranking up the audio may cause a "hum" from speakers in just about any audio system. So, you get what you pay for, IMHO.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks.
by asortofdream / February 4, 2013 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Quality matters

Thank you Willy and Bob. You both make great points. I did buy an entry level audiophile DAC and I do sense that the produce is being "overwhelmed" by electrical signals as Willy comments.

I couldn't figure out how to close the thread after Bob's last response which I found satisfactory.

Collapse -
Answer
Similar problem
by mjd420nova / February 7, 2013 12:13 AM PST

I had the same problem with a user installed Creative Sound card. I found the DAC lines into the card to be hanging near the power for a DVD drive. After wrapping and grounding foil over the digital lines and dressing the power lines from the PS solved the popping and clicks and even reduced some hum.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.