Camcorders forum

Audio mutes for 1 second randomly during recording

by regios287 / August 8, 2012 2:53 PM PDT

I have connected my setup like this.

Mic -> Mixer -> DVD Player -> Camcorder

(the only reason its going through the DVD player, so it can go to 3 other TV's and the external speakers.

During the video, the audio is perfect. And its grabbing all the sound from the mic only. (I set the camcorder to external audio line)

This example: (it stops at 5 seconds, 16 seconds, and 24 seconds)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio mutes for 1 second randomly during recording
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio mutes for 1 second randomly during recording
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by regios287 / August 10, 2012 2:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
You need to listen to that audio at the camcorder input.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2012 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Setup

If it's fine then you have a camcorder issue to fix. It's a shame the make and model was not shared since I would have looked at the camcorder to see if folk had reported such an issue. But I can't find that here.

For now, you can research that and then figure out how to check that audio signal at the mic input.

Collapse -
the model
by regios287 / August 10, 2012 2:26 AM PDT

Its a Canon Vixia HF M50

Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2012 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: the model

Now it's time for you to use google and that model plus a phrase such as "audio drops out."

Collapse -
by regios287 / August 10, 2012 3:16 AM PDT

I cant find anything on google, that is why I came here.

I think my setup is wrong. I am going to change my audio cables then get back to you.

Collapse -
Details are still missing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2012 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: nothing..

I might expect this on memory cards but not the internal memory. But details are very slim in your post. There are issues with memory cards so I'll just note that the drop out may occur on many models as the video jumps from one 2GB file to the next 2GB file. Have you heard why there is this 2GB file limit?

Collapse -
Not the memory card
by regios287 / August 10, 2012 6:24 AM PDT

Yes currently my camera records in 2GB parts, is there a way to remove that btw?

Its not the memory card becuase I can record using int mic perfectly fine.

Collapse -
Sadly when we dismiss an item so quickly
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2012 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Not the memory card

We learn later it was that. Since the internal mic works and the external does not, then we have a warranty issue.

I still can't find the make and model of the recorder so I can't comment further.

Collapse -
Issue Fixed
by regios287 / August 12, 2012 11:24 PM PDT

I have fixed the issue by replacing the audio cable and changing my setup.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.