Samsung forum

General discussion

Audio input problem with PC/HDMI connections

by crazyfatguy26 / November 20, 2009 6:53 PM PST

Hi everyone, I have a strange problem with my Samsung TV. The model is LA32A330. I bought it over a year ago and everything has been fine until a couple of days ago.

From my Asus laptop, I have been watching videos on the Samsung TV using the HDMI 2 connection. For the sound, I used an audio cable from my laptop's earphone jack connection to the "DVI-In (HDMI 2)" connection at the back of the tv.

A few weeks ago, I decided to show my mother how to watch videos from her laptop on the TV. Her Toshiba laptop does not have a HDMI connection so I used the PC VGA connection instead. The same audio cable at the "DVI In (HDMI 2)" connection was used for her laptop.

Like I said, everything was fine and we could watch videos from our laptops without any problems. A couple of days ago, I got curious and wanted to compare the quality difference between the PC connection and the HDMI connection so with my laptop, I plugged one cable in and then the other. That's when the problem started. Now I cannot get any sound from my laptop onto the TV regardless of whether I used the HDMI connection or the PC connection. Furthermore, the TV no longer detects my laptop on the HDMI 2 connection. I can view my laptop on the PC connection and the HDMI 1 connection but I get no sound.

I can view my dvd player on the HDMI 2 connection but at one point, I was getting the sound from my laptop while viewng the video from the dvd. Unplugging the "DVI-In (HDMI 2)" audio cable resets the audio input back to the dvd player. This has led me to believe that the audio input on the "DVI-In (HDMI 2)" connection has somehow gotten stuck on the HDMI 2 channel and would not recognize any new source like the PC connection. It does not explain though why I cannot get the video back on the HDMI 2 connection.

There is nothing wrong with my laptop and I can hear sound from it just fine, both through the speakers and on earphones. There is nothing wrong with the cables. I have tried a few different cables and they all worked fine elsewhere. The problem is clearly with the TV and while I've read through the manual again and searched the web for solution, I could not find anything to help me.

I would appreciate any remedy or advice. Cheers.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio input problem with PC/HDMI connections
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio input problem with PC/HDMI connections
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.