Computer Help forum

General discussion

Audio Hum When Recording

by eken / May 28, 2004 6:25 AM PDT

I get an audio hum when transfering music from tapes, LP's, or any source to my computer. I am using XP and the Polderbits recorder; the audio cable is from Radio Shack. I've tried routing the cable in several paths, but its still there. Thanks to anyone who has any suggestions to get rid of this annoying hum.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio Hum When Recording
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio Hum When Recording
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Audio Hum When Recording
by Y4 / May 28, 2004 8:34 AM PDT

Have you tryed adjusting your "Line In" volume? Double click the volume controls on your task bar. Check the volume for your line in. It could be that it's set to high, or possibly but less likely, to low.

Y4

Collapse -
Re:Re:Audio Hum When Recording
by eken / May 28, 2004 8:41 AM PDT

Good suggestion on the line in volume, but I set the volume at a level just barely above "off" in order to minimize the hum; but it is still there. Will appreciate any other ideas.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Audio Hum When Recording
by snapshot / May 28, 2004 9:16 AM PDT

You may already know this, but I have to ask anyway, since you say you have set the "line-in" control to barely on.

There are two "line-in" controls.
One in the Playback Controls
One in the Recording Controls

The one to adjust is in the Recording Controls.

When at the Volume Controls
Click
Options
Properties
Recording
OK

That brings up the Recording Controls.

This is where you adjust for recording levels.
Make sure that "Line-in" is selected and all other controls are not.

Joe

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Audio Hum When Recording
by eken / May 28, 2004 10:17 AM PDT

Thanks, Joe, for clearing up most of the hum! It is barely audible now. I did not know that I had to select the recording option through properties. The Polderbits software also has a line-in volume control that syncronizes with the XP software, but I didn't know that you have to lock out the line-in playback volume by slecting the recording option only. Did I say that right? Anyway, thanks again!
Ken

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.