Samsung

General discussion

Audio Dropouts/Samsung HT-BD325

by bobbythek / December 2, 2009 11:37 PM PST

I have audio dropouts of approx. 5 seconds frequently when watching either live TV or a recorded program on my Directv HD DVR when going thru the samsung HT-BD 3252. The Directv (hr22-100)receiver has been checked out and it's fine...when wired directly to the TV (LG 60)the dropout isn't present nor do you hear it when listening on wireless headsets.
I have exchanged the unit, checked out the HDMI cords, changed inputs etc but the problem is still present. Since I exchanged the unit..I find it difficult to believe the issue is a defective unit...perhaps a setting that i missed??? Athough, setup, settings etc are failry simple.

I can watch sometimes for hours at a time without the issue coming up but when it starts it seems to then happen frequently. Last night 4 or 5 time within an hours broadcast.

I woud appeciate any ideas...

Many thanks!
Bobby

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio Dropouts/Samsung HT-BD325
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio Dropouts/Samsung HT-BD325
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Audio Dropouts/Samsung HT-BD325
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 3, 2009 2:34 PM PST

bobbythek,

Is the DirecTV sending the signal as a PCM signal (audio decoded by the box), or a bitstream (audio decoded by the HT system)?

Also, does this happen on any specific channels? More HD or SD channels?

I don't have any quick answers, but I'll see if I can assist further on this pending your response.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Audio Dropouts/Samsung HT-BD3252
by bobbythek / December 5, 2009 12:51 AM PST

I am going to assume being off the satellite and that I have both HD and SD receviers in the house that it is being decoded by the HD DTV receiver.

It seems to happen equally to SD and HD Channels. Something going on between the box and the Samsung unit or inside the Samsung unit....as when listening thru wireless headsets the dropouts don't occur....when I play back the section on the HD - DVR the dropouts are in the exact same place...At first I suspected the DTV reciever or signal but since I'm not having the issue on the headsets I am assuming the DTV box to be good. The DTV folks say it is based on their testing but they always say that Happy

I have switched out all HDMI cords to each component and checked out everything I can think of. I was sure exchanging the unit would fix the issue after going thru all those different checks...but the problem still persists...although many time s I can go 3 hrs without a dropout. other times many drop outs within a short period.

Thanks for any thoughts....

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 6, 2009 3:58 PM PST

bobbythek,

Not yet. I'll look into this. Bump in a few days if I don't respond back by then.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Audio Dropouts
by Slygrin / December 7, 2009 1:55 AM PST

Go to DBSTalk.com, you will find a bunch of people with the same problem with DirecTV. It looks like it started after a resent upgrade they sent out. Hopefully they will acknowledge the issue soon and find a fix.

Collapse -
Audio Dropouts
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 8, 2009 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Audio Dropouts

That could be it, but we may be able to find a solution even if the box is the issue. It's worth looking into, anyway.

How is the connection made? Are you running HDMI straight through the receiver, or is the receiver hooked up via HDMI and optical going to the receiver?

If the HDMI is sent through, then the receiver may not be supporting the signal that is being passed through.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Audio dropouts
by bobbythek / December 8, 2009 5:07 AM PST

No Optical connection. All HDMI. Sounds like Samsung messed us buyers up???

Collapse -
Same Audio Drop Issues
by mrcjhnsn / December 11, 2009 5:08 AM PST

I have the same issues with the HT-BD3252 I recently purchased. My connections are all HDMI. I have two DVR units Model# QIP6416 connected to the HDMI ports on the bd3252, I have the HDMI out on the bd3252 connected to a Pioneer PDP-5070HD. When powering on, changing channels, playing a recording, or pausing live or recorded TV I receive a 3-5 second pause in audio.

Have you guys figured this out yet?

Collapse -
Audio Drop Out
by mrcjhnsn / December 11, 2009 5:14 AM PST

Just to clarify, I do not have DirecTV, but Verzion FIOS

Collapse -
Audio Dropouts.
by mrcjhnsn / December 15, 2009 3:32 AM PST

I heard back from Samsung and they said I need to send it for repair. I find that suspect since I read on a forum someone did that already, and it didn't help. I went out and bought some High speed HDMI cables that are capable of handling the new HDMI 1.3. This helped reduce the drop out issues when changing HD channels to about 1 second. However, there was still this issue of the 3-5 second video/audio drop out with SD (standard definition) channels. After poking around a bit more on the forums I found that I had a setting on my DVR's called 'SD override' this was set to 480i. I believe this setting up-scales standard def channels to 480i. My DVR's are the Motorola QIP6416's, I changed this to 'off' and I now have the same response as with the HD channels. It is quite noticeable. I tried this setting before purchasing the high speed cabling and there was no change. Although I feel I shouldn't have had to by more expensive cabling, I did this only because of the time I now have invested in this unit, with setup and configuration.

I feel the BD3252 doesn't like low quality cabling. I have come to the conclusion that these issues are two fold:

1. Since HD channels do not always broadcast in HD, the Samsung HT-BD3252 does not process the SD-480i upsacling, or the changing from 480i broadcasts, to HD broadcasts very well from the DVR unit. There are blackouts, video/audio dropout during the switching process. Perhaps this is code bug in the firmware. I also read a thread in another forum that these issues seemed to have cropped up after the last firmware update. Since my unit came with the latest firmware, I have no way to verify.

2. Since the Samsung unit recieves its signaling from the DVR, there maybe issues with the ouput processing of the information through the DVR HDMI port. Since changing the SD setting on the DVR unit the dropouts are less severe, but still there, about 1-2 seconds.

This looks like an issue that no one is going to own, and correct anytime soon. Perhaps these issues will correct themselves over time with updates to our DVR boxes, and Samsung Units. In my opinion, I feel the only way to remove these issues if they are unbearable is to return the unit.

Collapse -
Samsung HT-BD3252/Audio Dropouts
by bobbythek / December 15, 2009 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Audio Dropouts.

No, sending the unit in for service will NOT FIX the issue. I have spent way to much time on the phone with Samsung and they suggested the same to me. I told them I would simply return it to Best buy. I did that and guess what? NOTHING CHANGED. I have 1.3 HDMI cabling all around so that's not the issue nor should have been. I believe the issue is withion the Samsung unit and I doubt they will do anyting about it until this unit is in enough homes and that they start hearing enough complaints.

It's pretty simply really.... everything works fine until the Samsung unit HT-BD3252 is put into the line...then the problem starts. Hummm, I wonder which unit is causing the problem? The only cure I can find so far is to take it back and wait for them to figure it out. Not much of a cure.... just hoping that perhaps they will take our complaints serious enough to actually look into it and perhaps fix the issue.... assuming a firmware upgrade will do it. Just glad I bought an extended service plan..

Collapse -
by bobbythek / December 18, 2009 11:44 PM PST

Anything new from Samsung on this issue by chance???

Many thanks!
bK

Collapse -
Audio/video Drop Outs
by mrcjhnsn / December 21, 2009 2:21 AM PST

I haven't heard anything else back, however I did send another email to the Product Suggestion team, and the Support Team. My next step is to write a letter to the CEO of Samsung America:

K Choo
Samsung America
105 Challenger Road
Ridgefield Park, NJ USA 07660
Phone: 201-229-5000

Maybe if enough of us take the time to drop this person a few lines something might get done. We need to get fired up!! Because I for one am tired of this kind of marketing ploy. Microsoft has done this stuff to us for years. Release an under performing product and worry about fixing it later. When we spend our hard earned cash, we should be able to buy with confidence and not have to worry if the thing is going to work well or not. Anyway, I apologize for the rant, don't mind the man in the corner talking to himself..;o) I figure I will be drafting the letter in a few days. I doubt anything will come of it, but you never know.

Collapse -
samsung audio drop outs
by bobbythek / December 21, 2009 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Audio/video Drop Outs

Good idea. I am dropping a note into the mail today. Can't hurt. We'll see if they give a **** or not.... There was a Samsung rep on here that was going to look into it for us. Not sure what happened to him.... I suspect he can't get an answer either.

Merry Christmas!

Collapse -
by cnetgigi / December 15, 2009 10:35 AM PST

We are having the same issues. After reading all the posts, I think we'll return it for a different Surround Sound Home Theatre. Any suggestions for similar unit without the issues?

Collapse -
by bobbythek / December 15, 2009 10:19 PM PST

I bought mine as a price match over the Thanksgiving weekend..less than $525. I haven't found one with totally self contained wireless speaker setup anywhere near that price....I have found some that require a purchase of a wireless adapter etc but it has to be sent off for... So I am going to hang on to this for now. I still have about 30 days to decide for sure. IF I HAD PAID FULL PRICE FOR THIS THING IT WOULD ALREADY BE BACK AT THE STORE! It's really too bad....Samsung is gaining a reputation for putting out some nice stuff but putting out some pricey gear that doesn't work right will stop that.

If anyone comes up with a similar unit at a similar price, pls let me know. I hope those who have this unit and are experiencing this issue will contac Samsung support. I am not sure it does any good but perhaps one day they will take the complaint seriously and help us figure it out.

Collapse -
by cnetgigi / December 15, 2009 10:32 PM PST

Thank You. We paid top dollar at $800 and will bring the unit back to Sears today. Gigi

Collapse -
Samsung HDMI Audio drop-out
by crusher7212 / December 29, 2009 1:20 AM PST

I recently had Verizon FiOS installed with my Samsung HD LN52A65. When using HDMI cables, I sometimes get audio drop-outs of 1-2 seconds at 1-5 minute increments, similar to what others have reported here.

The Verizon tech said it was my HDMI port, and now we're using the component cables, which seem fine. I never had this problem with my Cox Cable service, and would like to use HDMI if possible.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
samsung audio drop outs
by bobbythek / December 29, 2009 2:38 AM PST

I know this isn't a port issue ...unless a bunch were bad. Interestingly someone noted that it was fine until Samsung did a firmware upgrade,humm..... who knows.

I went a couple days without any dropouts and then it started up again....weird.

Collapse -
HT-BD325 Audio Dropouts
by Buster ca / December 12, 2009 6:11 AM PST

I have AT&T U-Verse (Motorola VIP1216 DVR) and also get audio dropouts while watching live or recorded tv through my HT-BD3252. It's random and lasts about a second, but still it's very annoying. Also, I get 3 or 4 seconds of no audio when changing channels and fast-forwarding with the DVR.

I'm connected up via HDMI from the DVR to the Samsung Receiver.

Collapse -
HT-BD325 Audio Dropouts
by jdms33 / December 13, 2009 9:29 AM PST

Have exactly the same issue as buster...although I would say that the random drops outs are little longer than 1 second but not as long as when I fast forward or change channels.

The random dropouts seem to happen more (maybe only?) on HD channels. I have charter with a scientific atlanta HD DVR. Did not have problem before the BD3252 and have other TVs with same box without the problem.

Collapse -
Audio dropout on HT-BD3252
by robertsl / December 22, 2009 4:56 AM PST

I have this Samsung HT-BD3252 connected via HDMI 1 to a DISH receiver/DVR and Sony XBR TV. I am also experiencing the 3-4 sec audio drop outs when changing channels and fast forwarding, etc. I also just started hearing a buzzing from the wireless rear speaker hub, and was so annoyed, I turned it off. I read on AVS forum that someone else had the same problem!
Samsung: Can you recommend a fix?? I really don't want to return this - it's only 3 weeks old. Firmware is up to date. I've also swapped out HDMI cables and reset everything.

Collapse -
samsung audio drop outs
by bobbythek / December 22, 2009 9:52 AM PST

Please send a note to the name and address above.... I wrote mine today. I know it likely won't mean anything but we don't seem to be making much progress by speaking to their support ...so I figure it doesn't hurt.

I hope if anyone has any luck ridding themselves of this issue they let the rest of us know.

Happy Holidays!

Collapse -
Samsung audio drop outs
by GingerPri / January 5, 2010 11:53 AM PST

I just purchased the HT BD3252 and started noticing the audio delays of 3-4 secs when changing channels. At first I figured I didn't have something configured correctly and kept changing connections but this did not resolve the issue. I finally used google for a search and ended up here and realize I'm not alone. I just bought the PN50B860 Plasma TV and it is fantastic. I assumed buying a matching Samsung blueray/home theater setup would be just as great. I'm now finding all kinds of small issues I feel samsung can resolve with firmware updates. I too believe their products are improving in quality and is the main reason I purchased the plasma TV along with the great reviews on this model. I was also considering the Sony BDV-E500W home theater system as it was in the same price range with only one addtional feature and that was the ability to broadcast the sound to other speakers throughout the house. I wasn't sure I would use this and when I found the 3252 also had an IPOD dock and the Anynet feature to link up with other samsung products I was sold. I'm also having problems with the IPOD features and have seen other threads with the same issues.

So my point to this is if Samsung wants to be out there leading the pack in quality of products then they need to quickly step up to the plate and resolve obvious issues identified by their existing customers. If they want existing customers to be repeat buyers the need to be fixing current products with the online firmware updates they have available is better than pouring to many resources into new products because it won't be me and a lot of other current frustrated customers purchasing them if they don't take care of the products they now have. In a tough economy everybody wants to get the greatest bang for their buck and if they don't they won't forget bad product support they got from a manufacturer on their next purchase.

Collapse -
samsung audio drop outs
by bobbythek / January 6, 2010 3:36 AM PST

I am hoping that those with issues will take the time to write a note to K Choo. The address is listed within this thread. I know its a pain but if he gets a few of these he may at least pass it on to someone who might be willing to check into the issue... I know, I am doubtful as well but it cant hurt.

We did have a response from a Samsung tech rep within this thread but I guess he forgot about us... Sad

Happy New Year to everybody!

Collapse -
Audio drops and tech rep
by mrcjhnsn / January 6, 2010 4:12 AM PST

Bobbthek/Everyone - I don't think the tech rep forgot. I think this person doesn't know what to do with this issue, and being we haven't heard of any updates whether or not it is being looked into I feel this person dropped us, and the issue. I URGE everyone who is having this issue, or has had to return this product because of this issue or any other to please write to the address I posted early on. I included it again. It will only take a few minutes and the price of a stamp. Companies have forgotten what customer service means. We need to know that they care about our issues, and that they are pursuing a solution. Does anyone know how to get in touch with CNET, perhaps they have an inside rep that would be willing to take up the cause?

Please just take a few minutes to write to this person and let them know that as a collected, our buying power does mean something.

K Choo
Samsung America
105 Challenger Road
Ridgefield Park, NJ USA 07660
Phone: 201-229-5000

Collapse -
samasung BD-3252
by hosan15 / January 22, 2010 11:18 AM PST

thank you guys i was planning to buy this unit. now seeing all these problems with it and no response from samsung, i decided to look for something else. hopefully i will tell you later what happens.

Collapse -
Audio/Video Drops
by mrcjhnsn / January 28, 2010 4:46 AM PST

Hello Everyone - I have since submitted over 100 requests to support. I finally got a response. They sent me a link to a new firm ware. I haven't tried it yet, will probably in a few days. Below is the link, and instructions they sent. If any can tell what the firm ware release date is please let me know before I try it. I believe I purchased mine with the latest firm ware that included the netflix and blockbuster updates since I see those on the screen. Anyway keep us informed.

Dear Samsung Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

With reference to your e-mail, we understand that there is audio and video drop out while you are watching
the movies in the Home Theater HT-BD3252.

Let us reset player and then check for the issue. Please follow the steps given below in order to reset the
Home Theater:

->While the player is in No Disc mode, hold the remote control's ? STOP (T) button for longer than
5 seconds. INITIAL appears on the display and all settings will return to the default values.
->Press the ? POWER button.

After reseting the player check with the player whether is it working.

Please open the link given below and download the recent Firmware upgrade for the player:

http://micurl.com/fAcmm

Please open the link given below and follow the steps present in the document to upgrade the Firmware:

http://micurl.com/cCBgs

If you require any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you,
Samsung Online Support.

Collapse -
samsung audio drop outs
by bobbythek / January 28, 2010 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Audio/Video Drops

Well, I don't know the date but by file # this appears to be a later version than I show on my unit and mine claims to have the "latest" version when I try to update it. Not sure if I should try this or not.... has anyone given it a go? I will probably do so over the weekend. It's hard to believe this can be this easy to fix.... I wonder why they haven't put it up there for everyone to downlod directly to their units?

thanks for sharing the information....

Collapse -
latest firmware
by warrenbbs / January 28, 2010 9:18 PM PST

If the firmware version is 1001.5, then I doubt it will make much difference. It's been out since November and I have it installed and still get dropouts when changing channels.

Collapse -
samsung audio drop outs
by bobbythek / January 28, 2010 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: latest firmware

You're right... I got an audio drop out last night after installing the software from the link offered. My unit, which I bought in December has always said I had the "latest" software but apparently not the case at all.... This latest firmware did fix a smaller issue I was having involving running my XBOX thru the unit....it kept shutting down the XBOX when paused and I switched to a different input. This latest firmware seems to have addressed that...... I would rather they fix the audio drops.

Lets keep asking and see what happens...unbelievable that it took 100 requests from samsung support to even get the 1001.5 firmware link. jeez.

I'm having a 2nd service call on a Samsung dryer I bought in December...perhaps this brand isn't what I thought it was. (although I heard they are really whirlpool machines???)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.