TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Audio connection from a HDTV to AV receiver

by Granny Carol / December 22, 2011 8:57 AM PST

Hello. I am interested in purchasing a Samsung UN40D6000SF and would like to be able to connect it to my older Yamaha HTR-5550 AV receiver. Can anyone tell me if this will be possible and if so what cables I will need? Thank you so much.

Granny Carol has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audio connection from a HDTV to AV receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audio connection from a HDTV to AV receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Granny Carol

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2011 9:05 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you
by Granny Carol / December 22, 2011 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

but I'm confused about how to connect the two. According to the specs the tv has 4 HDMI inputs, 1 Component input, 2 Composite inputs, and 1 Optical Digital Audio output, plus connections for a PC and various other ports. I have a Roku player, a Wii gaming system, and an older dvd player ( that I plan to replace with a blu-ray player with built in Wi-Fi ) to incorporate into my home theater system. Can you explain what cables to use and how to make the connections to the different devices for me?

Collapse -
One cable
by Dan Filice / December 22, 2011 2:51 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you

I thnk all you need is one optical audio cable that connects from the TVs optical audio-out to the receiver's optical audio-in. Most likely this will give you stereo. Hopefully you aren't trying this connection to get audio from your DVD player to your receiver because it should be connected directly to the receiver.

Collapse -
by Granny Carol / December 22, 2011 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: One cable

I do have the DVD player connected directly to the receiver. At the moment I have an RCA audio cable connecting my 8yr. old standard def TV to the receiver and was unsure if my 9 yr. old AV receiver would be capable of being connected to a new HDTV. Thanks so much for your help.

Collapse -
How I have my receiver connected
by Dan Filice / December 23, 2011 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Cable

I personally have on older Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver that may be similar to your own receiver connection scenario which leads me to ask another question: Why do you feel it necessary to use your TV's Audio-Out to connect to your receiver? Using the TV Audio-Out has never been a good solution for sending quality audio to any receiver. Since my receiver does audio-only, like yours, I have all of my components Audio-Out going directly to my receiver and their Video-Out going to different Video-In's on my TV. Without having a new receiver, here is how I have my components connected and it may help you:

1. BluRay Player HDMI is connected directly to my TV using it's HDMI-1 connection. This gets both Video and Audio to my TV. Until you get a BluRay player, you will need to connect your old DVD player's component cables to the TV. I also have the BluRay Player's Optical Audio-Out going to my receiver that allows me to hear surround audio. I won't get the latest audio from the BluRay DVD discs until I get a new receiver, but until then, I do get good surround.

2. My Cable Box is connected directly to my TV with HDMI which gets both Video and Audio to the TV. I also have RCA audio cables connected from the cable box to the receiver that allows me to hear stereo or matrix surround.

Your TV should have at least a few different methods of connecting your components, whether HDMI or component.

Collapse -
by Granny Carol / December 23, 2011 4:34 AM PST

In my last post I described how I have my older TV connected to my older AV receiver for the audio. The older TV has three inputs, TV, Video 1 and Video 2. I am using a S-video cable to connect the two components for video and the RCA audio cables for sound. The DVD player is connected to the receiver with an Optical and a S-video cable. The Roku and Wii have to share the same TV video input with composite cables. In other words, I have to disconnect one if I want to use the other. The TV is the second TV on a HD DVR receiver from the satellite company. I will be dropping the satellite service in favor of an OTA antenna which will be installed shortly. That is my current set-up. I will be replacing the older TV with a new HDTV and was concerned the new TV and older AV receiver would be incompatible. I plan on replacing the DVD player with a BluRay player with built-in Wi-Fi but would prefer to avoid replacing the AV receiver at this time if possible.

Collapse -
New TV, Old Receiver
by Dan Filice / December 23, 2011 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: Connections

Your receiver, according to the Yamaha website, has 5 video inputs and 1 Video output. Why don't you connect all of your components to the receiver, then the reciever to the TV? This will free-up your old TV inputs and will allow you to then connect a high-priority component to the TV without sharing. Of course, on your reveiver you will need to select a component to see it on TV, but that's no different than what you're doing now.

Collapse -
Old TV vs.New TV
by Granny Carol / December 23, 2011 11:28 AM PST
In reply to: New TV, Old Receiver

If I'm understanding this correctly, you are recommending these connections for the older standard definition TV to my older AV receiver, right? If I wasn't planning on replacing the older TV with a new HDTV I would definitely give it a try but what I'm most interested in is connecting the newer technology to a device that is several years old, if it is possible and if so how to do it. Do you still think I'll be able to accomplish this with an optical audio cable?

Collapse -
You may have to test out a few scenarios.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2011 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

I wrote what I did because folk invariable complain about lip sync with such systems or "Why am I only getting Stereo?"

The other devices will have to be dealt with one by one and some won't be pretty or easy.

At least you are now aware that the old component audio systems are going to be tough or easy depending on what you want to do. There is the easy path and then you have the hard path where an owner wants what the new systems do.

Collapse -
Multiple options
by Granny Carol / December 23, 2011 4:48 AM PST

I have discovered over the years that as technology has advanced it has been difficult to combine a new device with an older one. I knew this would be a good place to start for advice on how to accomplish this. Thank you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.