Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

audio ads help!

by baddkarma33 / December 12, 2003 4:09 AM PST

hi, for some reason audio ads keep appearing on my comp. when i alt+ctrl+delete, nothing shows in the program list, and the ads change everytime i hear them. i've run ad aware and spybot, and nothing can fix it. is there any way i can get rid of these annoying without having to reformat??? the only thing that i've downloaded recently was STEAM, which is a program to play the online game counter-strike on. can anyone add insight? thanks a million.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: audio ads help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: audio ads help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:audio ads help!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 12, 2003 1:28 PM PST
In reply to: audio ads help!

baddk,

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information about the computer as possible. The operating system, processor speed, brand name of the computer (if there is one), the EXACT types of pop-up or errors you're receiving, and in your case, the type of internet connection you are using. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be. Enough of that, back to your question.

First, because it may be spyware or virus related, please install or run the free programs that are listed at this link:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

Next, because "Messenger" can cause this type of thing, please follow the procedures below to disable it:

In order to stop the Windows Messenger program from loading at start up, but still allow it to be available when needed:
1. Open Windows Messenger by clicking on Start-Run, type 'msmsgs.exe' (without the quotes), click OK, or click Start-Programs-Windows Messenger.
2. Click on 'Tools' in the upper left, choose 'Options'.
3. Click on the 'Preferences' tab, then UNCHECK the box next to 'Run this program when Windows starts'.
4. UNCHECK the box next to 'Allow this program to run in the background'.
5. Click on 'OK'.

In order to stop it from running when opening Outlook Express:
1. Open Outlook Express.
2. Click on 'Tools' in the upper left, choose 'Options'.
3. On the 'General' tab, UNCHECK the box next to 'Automatically log on to MSN Messenger Service'.

Next, click on Start-Run, type "msconfig", Start Up tab, and uncheck likely suspects.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:audio ads help!
by baddkarma33 / December 14, 2003 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: Re:audio ads help!

i'm running XP professional, my processor is 1.1 ghz, but a friend of mine has put the computer together. i'm connected to the internet via cable modem. i don't get any popup ads, but on computer startup and during random times of computer operation, audio ads advertising movies, careerbuilder, and other services will run, and any time i alt ctrl delete to see which program is running, nothing shows. the programs you listed were helpful, but the ads still ran. is there any other possibilities out there?

Collapse -
Have you considered using a firewall?
by Keith Marcotte / December 15, 2003 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:audio ads help!

For a quick fix, you could enable ICF (the builtin MS firewall) but that will only stop things from getting in. It's more likely that you have something running on your PC that is connecting out. To detect those, you should consider a firewall like ZoneAlarm free edition or Kerio (discussion thread). Even this is only be a quick fix. You really should disable unnecessary services and programs. Check out the Black Viper website and this thread for details. Check what is running at startup.

Collapse -
Another possibility...
by Keith Marcotte / December 15, 2003 8:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:audio ads help!

your friend played a joke on you and configured the PC to use custom sounds (the audio clips) instead of the normal Windows sounds.

Collapse -
"Invisible Audio Ads" running @ Random Times.
by khayeri / June 17, 2008 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Another possibility...

As much as I would like to believe that it could be a Joke it is not. I too am plagued with this Problem. They are Invisible Threads, which I cannot locate, checked for suspicious startup programs. There's only One that's "nameless" (Blank Field for the Name). I took it off so I have to wait to see if I still will get the problem or not.

But again this is not a prank. Actual System Hijack I'd say. If you guys find any solution/article about this please post it.
Thanks again for any suggestion.

Collapse -
It's Not Clear What You're Referring To..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 18, 2008 4:51 AM PDT

"(Blank Field for the Name)" and "Invisible Threads, which I cannot locate"... Blank Fields where? Invisible Threads where?

If these are email messages, they're SPAM and you won't be able to stop them.. Simply delete them when they come in.

On the other hand, if you're seeing them elsewhere, such as on the internet or when you are simply sitting at the computer, try running the free antispyware/trojan removal tool using the instructions below.. Before running it, make sure to clean out all the "Temp" and "Temporary Internet Files" folders.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Invisible Audio Ads
by vhoang6 / June 23, 2008 11:24 AM PDT

Hey, I have the same exact problem. It's very annoying. Have you found a solution yet?

Collapse -
Unfortunately, You're Even Less Clear
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 23, 2008 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Invisible Audio Ads

No mention of EXACTLY what's happening, the type of computer you have, the type of connection you have, or whether you've scanned your computer with the suggested Malwarebytes scanner.

Tried disabling the Messenger service yet? There are quite a few suggestions which you say little about testing yet??

The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

Hope this helps and let us know more..

Grif

Collapse -
Audio Ads
by vhoang6 / June 24, 2008 1:12 AM PDT

I am recieving random audio ads in the background. No windows popups though. Just the audio ads such as auto insurance. I am running Windows XP pro on laptop connecting to a wireless networking with Cable modem. This laptop was recently re-imaged with a clean install of windows XP. There's quite a few software on there. I've ran counterspy software, but it didn't find anything.

Collapse -
I Don't See CounterSpy Referred To In Previous Suggestions..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 24, 2008 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio Ads

Thanks for the addition information but have you tried all those previous suggestions yet?

Locked down your current firewall? Use a different firewall and lock it down?

Tried disabling messenger?

Tried disabling all unnecessary services and background programs from msconfig yet?

This thread has quite a few things you could work with but as stated earlier, you haven't told us which ones you've tried?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Same Issue
by phillipsr / June 27, 2008 11:40 PM PDT

It appears as an additional iexplorer.exe Process. I think it may be related to a torrent download or utorrent itself. If you end process on the second Explorer.exe (mine showed a higher Mem Util) it stops but that doesn't fix the issue.

Collapse -
If It's Spyware, Then Use A Spyware/Trojan Removal Tool
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Issue

The tools below are excellent in ferreting out that type of junk:

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Or...

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
You have hit the right spot!!!!!!!!!
by sunkc / September 6, 2008 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Issue

My laptop was working absolutely fine until I downloaded utorrent. Thats it it got screwed up since then. Now I am searching for information to get rid of this problem. I have windows Xp too. This(audio ads in the background)seems to happen only when I am connected to internet. Also whenever I do a google search and try to click on a link it opens up automatically in another window with a URL(http://go.google.com......................) and gets redirected to some site that has an ad. I dont know how to fix this. I am breaking my head here. Please don't ask ppl to download some sh*t s/w to remove one. That sh*t itself would be a virus or malware or adware.

Collapse -
And You've Already Tried??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 3:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have the same issue
by jonmulkey / January 3, 2011 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: Re:audio ads help!

I am having the very same issues. I am running vista home premium on a intel duo core 2.4
this issues just started over the week end the thing that I have found is that is opening multiple sessions of iexplorer like 10 of them I found in the processes. I don't even use IEX I use firefox. also there was an instance where firefox had been opened. There are all running in the background and it is extremely irritating. Today I muted my sound to stop listening to some talk radio show.

Collapse -
Did you try the advice given in this discussion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2011 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: I have the same issue

You didn't tell.

Collapse -
To the rescue!
by TheHelpingGuy / August 11, 2009 5:16 AM PDT

I know im like 6 years late but, i've encountered this problem. If you see it, do ctrl-alt-delete and go to the process list. If you find any unusual processes that sound weird like one thats named adv.exe or something end that process. 99% of the time the process is named b.exe.

Collapse -
Annoying audio ads
by chriswolff56 / August 11, 2009 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: To the rescue!

I am running XP home on a dell Inspirion laptop, and all of a sudden, ads, interviews, and sounds like something from a tv show randomly starting running in the background at random intervals.

The only thing that I noticed, that seemed to be odd, was when I tried to log off, and a program, b.exe, showed up as not responding. I didn't think it was a program that should be on my system, but I don't know how to get rid of it. It's not on the list of programs in the control panel, and a search did not find it.

Collapse -
The same problem.
by raydoncort / May 22, 2011 5:25 AM PDT

am running WinXP,& have the same problem. Except for an IE CPU usage on the "Windows Task Manager", thers is no evidence of a program, but the commercial message continues!

Collapse -
I think i fixed it :)
by aXidento / August 22, 2011 6:24 AM PDT

I had the same problem but i think i have fixed it!
I while back i found a new icon on my desktop of something called "yootext". I didn't know what it was so i deleted it and all the files with it. Later when the weird sounds kept comming i checked my startup programs. Something called yootext starts up every time i start my computer!!! After looking for it for a while i found it in the folder:
AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Yootext
Problem solved! Happy

Collapse -
Chrome.exe malware that is causing audio adverts to play PC
by Karen1211 / August 27, 2013 11:38 PM PDT

Terminated chrome.exe from processes list and audio adverts stopped.

Uninstalled Google Chrome, as I never use the browser on my PC. Hopefully I will not
hear the adverts playing anymore.

Collapse -
My niece has backround "commercials" on her school computer
by JChalkan3 / December 10, 2013 7:01 AM PST

If you have found any solution to this issue, please help... Tried everything to remove this problem from her computer, last chance thing is to just reinstall the full windows program and completely redo the computer. She will turn on her computer not open any programs at all, and there will be random "commercials" playing... Her school is very active in "Live Lessons" where sound is needed, but she has to watch her teachers speak and try to lip read... Again, any and all help is greatly appreciated...

-all she installed aside from the school programs was the yahoo tool bar...

Collapse -
Thread is two years old.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 10, 2013 7:06 AM PST

I suggest starting a new thread to get more answers.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
This thread is more than 3651 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2013 10:50 AM PST

That's over 10 years. As it's reached this milestone we all should nod and ask a new discussion be started.

Surely in 10 years the answer is here?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.