Car Tech forum

General discussion

Audi Music Interface - iPod help

by cuyahoga--2008 / March 22, 2010 10:31 PM PDT

Hi all,

I have a new 2010 Audi A3 with the Audi Music Interface (AMI). I have the iPod cable and my iPod Classic is quickly recognized and everything works. But every few days, I start the car and press the MEDIA button on the head unit to get to the iPod and there is an error. The AMI can't initialize a connection with the iPod.

The iPod isn't locked up. If I just unplug and plug the iPod in again its recognized and everything is fine.

Any Audi owners/AMI users ever heard of this?

Any insights would be helpful.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Audi Music Interface - iPod help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Audi Music Interface - iPod help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: Audi Music Interface - iPod help
by antuan.goodwin CNET staff / March 26, 2010 3:02 AM PDT

Are you just leaving the iPod plugged up in the car for weeks at a time? Or does the device come and go with you? Also, what generation/capacity is the iPod Classic?

Collapse -
details on iPod
by cuyahoga--2008 / March 26, 2010 7:06 AM PDT

Its an original iPod Classic 160 gig model. Not sure of the actual generation, but its the first to be called

I typically leave it attached to the AMI in the glove compartment, only removing it to add songs. So, 'weeks at a time' is a fair assessment.

Collapse -
re: Audi Music Interface - iPod help
by antuan.goodwin CNET staff / March 26, 2010 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: details on iPod

When you put your key into the car and crank it up, the stereo comes on as the key passes the accessory position (ACC), then blinks off for a second as the car attempts to start. Once the engine is running, the stereo powers back on and resumes operation. If you're the kind of person who turns the key quickly, this process (On-Off-then On again) could happen a second or two.

Here's what it sounds like is happening to your iPod: During that first blink of power to the stereo, the system sees and attempts to connect to the iPod. The iPod goes into connection mode like it's programmed to do, but before the process can complete, your car stereo has already rebooted. Sometimes, if the timing is right (or wrong, in this case), this leaves the iPod confused. It's ready to connect, but there's no host to connect to. When you manually disconnect the iPod and reconnect it, the connection process is able start over and finish successfully.

The next time you crank up your car, watch your iPod and you may see it spring to life and make that "d-d-dun" noise just before your car cranks. There's nothing wrong with your iPod or your stereo, it's just a slight timing issue.

Your options are a) disconnect your iPod after each use and reconnect when you get in the car, b) stop for a moment at the ACC position when cranking your car to give the iPod a chance connect-disconnect-reconnect, c) or just keep doing what you're doing knowing that you're not really going to break anything. It's a minor inconvenience, but I'd recommend option C.

Collapse -
AMI iPod Madness
by cuyahoga--2008 / April 2, 2010 7:08 AM PDT

This sure makes a lot of sense. I am also leaning towards the ever popular option C.

Thanks for brining a critical evaluation to the question, it is appreciated.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by BKTraynor / September 29, 2011 8:54 AM PDT

This explains the problem, but, unfortunately, the problem remains. In my case, I'm using a playlist that has about 3000 songs. When this problem occurs, I lose my place in the list and it starts over from the beginning. Option C is by default, but it is annoying that I have to go into the playlist and scroll through to pick up where it left off.
Wish Audi would address this, but unfortunately the tech stuff they put in cars is always overpriced and several generations behind. Ditto with the "DOS" screen where the titles of the songs are not all visible. Wish the screen displayed the graphics that appear on the IPOD.

Collapse -
Audi Interface
by djberryindenhaag / July 24, 2010 5:01 AM PDT

I have a similar problem. Today it stopped working, but this also happens to be the first time I have used the iPod Touch since it upgraded to OS4. I think there is now a conflict. My iPod won't load at all. It powers, but it cannot initialize any longer. Going to call Audi about how to get the firmware upgraded to support the new OS.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.