Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 4:09 AM PST

The latest version of Adobe Flash Player is

If the version of Flash Player your system uses, as your browser plugin or add-on, is anything less that version, then you should upgrade to the newest version as soon as possible.

Click the blue link below for more details;

Adobe Flash Player is among the most commonly exploited desktop applications so it?s important for all Windows XP users to heed this warning from Microsoft.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ATTENTION XP USERS - UPDATE FLASH NOW!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ATTENTION XP USERS - UPDATE FLASH NOW!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also installs McAfee Security Scan
by jeroethel / January 16, 2010 12:51 AM PST

Just so everyone knows, when you update the Flash Player, McAfee Security Scan is also automatically installed. There didn't seem to be a way to reject that additional application.

I hate companies that do that.

Collapse -
Yep, I saw that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 3:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Adobe Updates
by DH1 / January 16, 2010 6:04 AM PST

I'm no tech whiz so take my story with a grain of salt....

I was/am running Win XP, SP3. I always keep my anti-virus program up to date. I also carefully watch/scan for spyware, malware, etc.

Last weekend I received several pop-up notifications that my Adobe programs (Flash Player, Reader) needed to be updated. Note: I did not click on any links. I went directly to to download these updates. That's when my problems began....

I don't know if I was already infected with something before or if installing the Adobe updates caused the problem but immediately after updating the Adobe programs my computer started acting oddly. While trying to fix this "oddity" my PC crashed. In ten years this is the first blue screen crash I've ever had.

I reinstalled Windows (ugh!) and got the PC up and running again.

Today, I installed the Adobe programs. No problems so far.

Again, I'm no computer tech. I have no idea why my crash happened -- Adobe related or not.

BTW Partly because of my recent crash I ordered a new PC. Win7: beware ... here I come!

Collapse -
Glad you got that sorted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 9:29 PM PST
In reply to: Adobe Updates

You've done well to have lasted 10 years without major problems, Happy

I can't explain why your computer crashed, but unfortunately it does happen sometimes, and although we can usually recover from it without having to re-install, in some instances that course is best.

Some applications are sensitive, and in Adobe's case I prefer to uninstall, reboot, (restart), the computer, then install the new version.

Win 7 is quite different, but it has been well received. I hope you enjoy your new computer and new Operating System. Any problems, just head over to CNET's Windows 7 forum.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Will not upgrade in firefox...
by nuttron / January 19, 2010 4:31 AM PST

which is my favorite browser....keeps on installing the previous version ; i tried installing after deactivating adblock plus , but no dice.

Tried to figure out a way to uninstall it but the only option i have in firefox is deactivate...hummmm...thanks

Collapse -
What I would try
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 19, 2010 5:57 PM PST

I would try Adobe's Flash Uninstaller.

When done, reboot the computer, (to ensure there are no remnants left), then revisit Adobe fot their Install Flash Player page.

Beware! Adobe now attempts to bundle in a McAfee Internet Scan with the Flash Install. If you do not want that, remove the tick on that web page to refuse the option.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
by nuttron / January 19, 2010 9:23 PM PST
In reply to: What I would try

Thank you Mark , i downloaded the uninstaller , gave the installation a last chance before i uninstalled and to my surprise it did upgrade successfully this time.Maybe it was something with their website who knows....thank you for taking the time.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad you got it working, and thanks for reporting back.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 20, 2010 2:06 AM PST
In reply to: solved...
Collapse -
it renders?
by qwezxcfghiop / January 21, 2010 12:47 PM PST

if this makes firefox unusable than thers now way in updateing
you can still watch youtube videos w/o it so y even update?!?!

Collapse -
(NT) I have no problems
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 7:15 PM PST
In reply to: it renders?
Collapse -
flashplayer run and stop
by douglas95 / January 30, 2010 5:30 AM PST

i need it fix

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 30, 2010 5:32 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.